Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

You're awesome man, keep up the good work

FathomSynth wrote:Zxant: I will change the internal VST name to “Fathom” for the next release, so no one else has to use a synth called “Synthesizer”.
Once it is done... beware... it will be important for the users of some DAWS to delete the cache of their DAW, otherwise the old name would keep on appearing.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

FathomSynth wrote:OK, people, I need to go code. I'll be back late tonight.
Awesome! Thank you again! :tu: :clap:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

zxant wrote:
WoodMan wrote:
It is not showing up as "Synthesizer (Seaweed Audio)" in Reaper 5 either (also tried Version 1.02 of Fathom).

I tried the 32 bit version in EnergyXT, and while it shows up here (as Fathom), I get a 'Failed to open FathomMono32' message and then EnergyXT crashes.
Here (Windows 7, 32-bit) in Reaper both 'Fathoms' (Mono & Pro) are in the list as "VSTi: Synthesizer (Seaweed Audio)"

Did you check 'reaper-vstplugins.ini' to see if it was scanned properly?
Thanks for your reply. Here's the entry I see in 'reaper-vstplugins.ini' for Fathom:

Code: Select all

FathomMono.dll=00492E9C6ABCD201
It is unlike the other entries, in that it lacks a plug-in ID field and a description field. I tried adding some made-up fields manually which resulted in the plugin showing up in the VST list (not the VSTi list), but I could not load it.

FathomSynth wrote:That is an excellent question and a lot of people here are probably wondering that.

May 1 - Try Free Mono
June 1 - Buy Pro

Yes you are correct we are still fixing some basic stuff and our beta testers are stomping on it hourly.

So when to try?

Next week by May 1 I will have the Wave Table Morph feature in.
At that time, running the free mono version for a few minutes
will give you a pretty good idea where this is all headed.

But if you want to wait until Fathom deserves to be on your primary Synth tracks,
it will be approx June 1.

This will be enough time to clear all the basic user issues
and the addition of some critical features like an Arpeggiator.

Also by that time I will have the wave point modulation done
in a way that no other synth will have.
Thank you.

WoodMan wrote:
zxant wrote:
WoodMan wrote:
It is not showing up as "Synthesizer (Seaweed Audio)" in Reaper 5 either (also tried Version 1.02 of Fathom).

I tried the 32 bit version in EnergyXT, and while it shows up here (as Fathom), I get a 'Failed to open FathomMono32' message and then EnergyXT crashes.
Here (Windows 7, 32-bit) in Reaper both 'Fathoms' (Mono & Pro) are in the list as "VSTi: Synthesizer (Seaweed Audio)"

Did you check 'reaper-vstplugins.ini' to see if it was scanned properly?
Thanks for your reply. Here's the entry I see in 'reaper-vstplugins.ini' for Fathom:

FathomMono.dll=00492E9C6ABCD201
It is unlike the other entries, in that it lacks a plug-in ID field and a description field. I tried adding some made-up fields manually which resulted in the plugin showing up in the VST list (not the VSTi list), but I could not load it.

That means that Reaper failed to scan it succesfully.

Looks like there's no way around it, I will have to get Reaper and debug it.

Send me all the different example codes from one of your VST's that Reaper loads.
I know where to set those codes for my VST, but I need to know the right format.

I hope Reaper is not like Pro Tools where I have to get a developer license from them to create a VST with a code that they accept.

>>MG: If you are still having trouble with the purchase link, let me know and I will buy it myself and verify.

Link in purchased order email is still dead for me, but in my case now it doesn't matter following your instruction to Murnau.

>>Murnau: The versino 1.0.2 update is on the members page, password, kvrpro

It might only be a problem if I needed to re-download resource files/folders for some reason.

Forgot to say that arpeggiator system concept sounds fantastic.

Hmm, I better try it myself. I will buy it and test the whole process.

Please tell me, you purchased Pro Win 32 or Win 64,
also did you do Visa or Paypal?

I only ask because I want to make sure to choose the same selections you did when the link went dead.
Then I can simply re-upload the link, should fix it.

bought pro 64 using PayPal

Is it possibe for you to append version number to dll filename without foreseeable consequences?
Last edited by Musical Gym on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would like to start coding like you. And want to design a synth. How do I start?

Yes, but it should already be like that, the file name should be "Fathom_64_102.zip".
I will try it myself.

btayloragent: KVR members tend to be experts on DSP and how to implement stuff, so search for articles here.
Also, if want to start from the beginning, the world's guru on developing plugins from scratch is "Will Pirkle".
He's got a PHd in DSP and I think he teaches down in Florida somewhere.
Try this: http://www.willpirkle.com/
His books got me started.
Fathom is not built on Rack AFX, but I've used it and it is a great program
for testing audio algorithms and it does a lot of the work for you.
Some people have built some commercially released plugins on it.

FathomSynth wrote:Yes, but it should already be like that, the file name should be "Fathom_64_102.zip".
I will try it myself.
I was referring to the dll name.
Say if it was named Fathom_64_102.dll, user would know right away what version he/she had and whether it was up to date.
Edit: I guess it isn't necessary since version is shown in Properties of DLL.

FathomSynth wrote:Looks like there's no way around it, I will have to get Reaper and debug it.

Send me all the different example codes from one of your VST's that Reaper loads.
I know where to set those codes for my VST, but I need to know the right format.

I hope Reaper is not like Pro Tools where I have to get a developer license from them to create a VST with a code that they accept.
Here are a couple of list entries for plugs that do load:

reacomp.dll=00B246B8ED46D201,1919247213,ReaComp (Cockos)
reasamplomatic.dll=00D40C9EED46D201,1920167789,ReaSamplOmatic5000 (Cockos)!!!VSTi
TyrellN6_x64_.dll=000F8E3D0B45CE01,1952017974,TyrellN6 (u-he)!!!VSTi
z3ta_.dll=00EB0E344375C701,2050192481,z3ta+ (rgc:audio software)!!!VSTi
As far as I am aware, you do not need a developer license to create plugins for Reaper. I have coded one or two plugins myself (for personal use) that loaded without problem and did not require any special Reaper specific code.

Thanks for looking into this.

Return to “Instruments”