SuperBooth 2017 News: U-he REPRO-5 & Zebra 2.8 Update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro Zebra

Stollmeister wrote:So, will the Repro5 be a CEM version of the-polysynth-which-cannot-be-named-5 or will it be a SSM version? That is, will it be above (not) mentioned polysynth version 2 or 3? If it's a polyphonic Repro-1, I guess it will be CEM. I don't have a strong preference either way. I am just curious.
Let's try more workaround speak: The code is based on the same patents that lay the foundation of the CEM 3310, 3320 and 3340. Its fitness was verified by comparing it to real world voltages within a real world setting. For this purpose some boutique vintage synthesizers were acquired, opened, measured, played and listened to.

Now for the SSM version... we had a ball during Superbooth talking, laughing and being happy with Dave Rossum who, could we have memorized it, pretty much explained the whole SSM 2040 chip to us. He also offered to answer our questions, should we have any. Which would be helpful, because he designed that thing back then.

Between the lines, Dave recommended to not bother with his olden designs for oscillators and envelopes, giving Doug Curtis credit for improvements that may have been very beneficial for musicians around the world. Maybe we can get away with a tad more slop on tuning stability and envelope time consistency.

So yes, there is a very good chance that we will deal with emulating filters based on circuits using the "Rev. 2"-chip in our software, and possibly also within the context of Repro-1/5. However, by throwing this out here, I have no clue how much effort is involved, which translates to "neither do I know when it happens, nor if".

OTOH there's a good chance that parts of our team can be motivated to take a closer look at a synthesizer named after the feline group of animals. It's another monophonic synthesizer we're particularly fond of, which happens to come in three very different flavors. One of those flavours has a filter based upon that chip, albeit in a different configuration that we would required for Repro-5.

So... we'll see.

Hi Urs,

Now that there first is a Zebra 2.8 update, must I assume that Zebra3 will be a 64-bit only release or will that still keep support for 32-bit?

Thanks!

Z.

zxant wrote:Now that there first is a Zebra 2.8 update, must I assume that Zebra3 will be a 64-bit only release or will that still keep support for 32-bit?
As far as I recall, the only 32-bit platform we would like to drop at some point is Mac VST2 as it still requires the old Carbon layer. Some stuff we want to do might not work with Carbon anymore.

Other than that I don't see any reason to abandon 32 bit builds just now. 32 bits has become niche, but it's also not a big deal for us to support.

Great news, thanks! :hug: :)

Urs wrote:
Stollmeister wrote:OTOH there's a good chance that parts of our team can be motivated to take a closer look at a synthesizer named after the feline group of animals. It's another monophonic synthesizer we're particularly fond of, which happens to come in three very different flavors. One of those flavours has a filter based upon that chip, albeit in a different configuration that we would required for Repro-5.
Someone who can guess which synths are these? :hihi: :hyper:

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Urs wrote:
Stollmeister wrote:OTOH there's a good chance that parts of our team can be motivated to take a closer look at a synthesizer named after the feline group of animals. It's another monophonic synthesizer we're particularly fond of, which happens to come in three very different flavors. One of those flavours has a filter based upon that chip, albeit in a different configuration that we would required for Repro-5.
Someone who can guess which synths are these? :hihi: :hyper:
Octave Plateau - The Cat SRM (SSM2040 VCF)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Urs, will be a beta/demo for the repro-5 some time before the release??? Anxious to try it!!!! :)

They hope to go to public beta in about a month according to today's post on Instagram.

That Zebra update is looking like a must have, damn it and I thought I was done with buying more synth's :D
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Urs wrote:
zxant wrote:Now that there first is a Zebra 2.8 update, must I assume that Zebra3 will be a 64-bit only release or will that still keep support for 32-bit?
As far as I recall, the only 32-bit platform we would like to drop at some point is Mac VST2 as it still requires the old Carbon layer. Some stuff we want to do might not work with Carbon anymore.

Other than that I don't see any reason to abandon 32 bit builds just now. 32 bits has become niche, but it's also not a big deal for us to support.

You are really customer-friendly. :tu:
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

@Urs
Is there date for the Beta?

michaelbrac wrote:@Urs
Is there date for the Beta?
Can't say yet. We'll have a developer meeting tomorrow in which we'll see if there are few open issues, tens or hundreds. My guess is somewhere in the twenties, so a month or two, if all goes well.

shroom81 wrote:That Zebra update is looking like a must have, damn it and I thought I was done with buying more synth's :D
tongue in cheek: Owning Zebra really helps being "done with buying more synths" :clown:

Can we at least expect Z3 this year?

Return to “Instruments”