Wavetable synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djmino02 wrote:Oh cool. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm guessing that is a homage to the Yamaha TX16.
Yes. Here is the text of the "About" page in the PDF manual:

1 About TX16Wx

The TX16Wx Software Sampler is a simple, yet powerful sampling instrument inspired by various classic hardware samplers from the 80s and 90s, but mainly the excellent Yamaha TX16W sampler as used with the Typhoon operating system.

Many software samplers sport a multitude of features aimed mainly at disk-streaming gigabyte sized preset libraries. The TX16Wx instead aims to bring back some of the joy of working with the classic hardware instruments, using sampling not for playing back pre-built libraries, but instead creating your own new sounds in creative way.

Perhaps the biggest reason this software was created though, is that I have yet to find a software sampler, free or otherwise, with both workstation features, and a clear cut, well-documented file format that does not lock the user in to a product forever. The TX16Wx file format is simple XML files and can be translated even by hand in a simple text editor.

So... You're right :tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

It is good to know that TX16Wx features a quite comprehensive sample editor among its innumerable features. Interesting to know when furthermore you also know that it accepts many formats of samples (but of course it's not allowed to read the Kontakt format... useless to dream about this format) :clown:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

surge :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I got the Korg wavestation plugin. It sounds great to my ears. Fits really well in the mix and has some pretty stellar sounds.

djmino02 wrote:I got the Korg wavestation plugin. It sounds great to my ears. Fits really well in the mix and has some pretty stellar sounds.
And the more you will use it, the more you will discover hidden resources in it.
:tu:

Question: have you also installed all the presets banks which are available on your Korguser account for the Wavestation?

There are tons of sources of inspiration in these banks not only to play with... but also to be used as starting points to make your own ones.

sorry, double post.
Last edited by ZaBong69 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWinny wrote:Currently there is an excellent wavetable synth which is brand new (two months old) and certainly way better than Serum in terms of audio quality : Synthmaster One.
If audio quality can be related to having less (digital) artifacts, Serum is better than SM One. I just loaded a Serum wavetable into SM One, and there is a sharp and unnatural drop off at higher frequencies visible in the Spectrometer - something that can, sadly, also found at some other WT synths, but not in the current top of the line synths such as Serum, Dune 2 or Zebra 2.

I get it that some people find Serum sounding "sterile" as it simply sounds brighter than many others that cut off higher frequencies (sometimes to prevent aliasing). But expensive studio monitors with linear frequency response also often sound worse as they are more revealing than your typical living room HiFi-Beauties - and nobody says that these monitors lack quality.

Serum can be a bit unforgiving and may sound cold when programmed wrongly, but I would not call this lack of quality, quite the contrary. If some people are not into really digital clean synths, there is always Diva or The Legend for diving into that warm sea of harmonic distortion ;)

Best,

K

ZaBong69 wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:If some people are not into really digital clean synths...
Yes, even if I use some wavetables synths (only Synthmaster One and PPG Wave 2.V, I love also Cakewalk Rapture Pro and Z3TA+2 but they are not true wavetable synthesis) I must confess that I'm in that case you evoke of musicians being much more involved in the traditional subtractive synthesis used in VA emulations). Synthmaster 2 (which is not WT) and Synthmaster One (which is WT) are a pleasure for some sounds which can be made very "analogish" and Synthmaster One is a great pleasure for its ease of manipulation of the wavetables to get extremely beautiful results. Yes, being not into really digital clean synths (except a few number I haven't really any pure digital clean synth) I'm among those who really find Serum extremely cold, far from "organic" sounds.
:)

Anyway... everything can make beautiful sounds if it is in the hands belonging to a mind which matches the same mood. :party:

Saw Novation PEAK at Sooperbooth, looks interesting even as hardware wavetable...

BlackWinny wrote:Question: have you also installed all the presets banks which are available on your Korguser account for the Wavestation?
I'll have to double check

Codex is ~25$ now. Just sayin' :)

Yeah, thinking about getting it... i mean, no-brainer really?

Only disliking the thought if having to install yet another software center thingie though... i really wished companies would do without those.

Edit: Oh well... after listening to some really whack sound demos, and reading some destroying reviews, i decided to pass on it. :P And i really, really don't need another software center.

djmino02 wrote:I got the Korg wavestation plugin. It sounds great to my ears. Fits really well in the mix and has some pretty stellar sounds.
i love it. it has replaced my HW WavestationEX synth. (which i still have stored away because i just
love it that much) the plugin GUI is not so bad at a 1440x900 screen rez if your eyes are good.
the added reso filter and 256 note polyphony make it a dense, 8 part pad monster. $50 worth every cent. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
i love it. it has replaced my HW WavestationEX synth. (which i still have stored away because i just
love it that much) the plugin GUI is not so bad at a 1440x900 screen rez if your eyes are good.
the added reso filter and 256 note polyphony make it a dense, 8 part pad monster. $50 worth every cent. :tu:
Yes. For me this hardware synth is legendary. A milestone in the history of the great synths.

Return to “Instruments”