Propellerhead Software has been bought

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I can see no Reason to buy Propellerhead's software. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Johnny! wrote:Is connecting to the internet still an issue in 2017?
Yes and it will still be an issue in 2027 and on, unless our OS for audio becomes hyper-ultra secure [will not happen with MS OS or any popular OS for that matter] and unless our OS for audio has RT kernel so any background tasks will not be an issue [will not happen with MS OS].

I like my data to be secure and I like to use my DAW to the full without audio crackling.

As a bonus, you get better productivity since you can't waste time on the Internet while making music. :tu: But on the other hand you can always use the internet on the smartphone or a tablet, or a second computer. Damn internet everywhere! :hihi:
Last edited by DuX on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Johnny! wrote:Is connecting to the internet still an issue in 2017?
No.

Well, for some nothing is an issue. Being raped by Microsoft, being raped by iLok, being raped by companies who insist on installing unnecessary bloated and buggy software on yur computer and insisting on Internet connection, being raped by antivirus companies and malware etc. I don't enjoy being raped an I think of my computer as mine and I like having choices, not being pushed into anything. And I like my data to be secure and OS at top efficiency. :D Of course it's up to you and you should have a choice to do it differently. It's your computer after all. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote: Of course it's up to you and you should have a choice to do it differently. It's your computer after all. :tu:
Thanks. That's at least something. ;) Especially as you were talking like everything you said would have been to be taken for granted, and is a fact, and that everyone has to see it the way you described it.

I really love the whole RE thing. No authorizing a ton of plugins and doing several separate updates. All in one box. I would be extremely happy to see propellerhead at least offer vst plugins for stuff that may not be ported to the RE format. Toontrack, Jamorigin MIDI Guitar, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq, BFD and so on

And

Full microtonal options

Preview effects before loading like how we could up to version 7

Midi importation onto selected track without creating another track every.single.time.. Especially for toontrack type stuff.....

And a few other things I forget at the moment

This sounds exciting

"Propellerhead is now focusing intensively on increasing the development team and pace" not sure if it will be for Reason or instead the Mobile music making platform.

http://www.verdanecapital.com/article/2338

Edit

You can print midi to track using certain rack extensions. I wonder if it's possible for someone to make a RE that allows you to browse and audition midi files from any location on the hardrive and print them to selected tracks? Even if the RE would have to be loaded on the selected track?

memyselfandus wrote:This sounds exciting

"Propellerhead is now focusing intensively on increasing the development team and pace" not sure if it will be for Reason or instead the Mobile music making platform.

http://www.verdanecapital.com/article/2338
There has been one or two articles about propellerhead in Swedish magazines. It seems that the main goal is to bring Reason to the mobile platform. They will also investigate (but no promise to commit to) the android platform as far as i understand.

Reason is propellerheads primary product as far as I can tell. Take and Figure was transferred to Allihoopa when it became it's own company. :)

I wonder if the mobile platform is really that popular that it makes sense porting a while DAW to it.

Android audio latency is horrible. Until that is addressed, who cares about music apps on android? It's the major reason why music apps are very low on the totem pole for android and just the opposite for ios.

There. A fine example of how you can cock up an otherwise fine OS for audio [Linux] when you don't care about professional audio users. :x Just add a little software layer here, a little software layer there, DRM this, DRM that, 3 mixer apps... + background tasks that task the CPU cycles and create micro latencies. "Nice" work, Google. :roll:

But such a shame for Android. :( I'm not at all an Apple fan but if I needed a tablet or smartphone for audio I wouldn't think twice.

Blub blub blub. If noone cares about audio stuff on Android, there's no need to work on it. iOS is a much bigger market for this. And of course it's all Google's fault, and the Linux OS is otherwise fine, riiiight. Why didn't someone pick up the Open Handset Alliance stuff then, and make something out of it. Correct, because it needs manpower, and skill to do so.

Anyway, the last thing i'd do would be to do music on my smartphone. My laptop's screen is already too small for that, so why would i even bother to do it on something even smaller?

sellyoursoul wrote:Android audio latency is horrible. Until that is addressed, who cares about music apps on android? It's the major reason why music apps are very low on the totem pole for android and just the opposite for ios.

Anyone that doesn't play real-time can care about and use a music app in Android (w/ sequencers, piano roll, generative stuff, etc.).

Yes, it is alright for location recording when you don't need low latency. However, it doesn't feel so bad to carry around a laptop with an OS set up for audio for that. Or just buy a cheap Tascam or Zoom recorder... :tu: Depending on the needs. I would always rather go for dedicated hardware as it's easier to handle and it's just more convenient. A phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet, and a recorder is a recorder. ;)

chk071 wrote:Anyway, the last thing i'd do would be to do music on my smartphone. My laptop's screen is already too small for that, so why would i even bother to do it on something even smaller?
A smartphone or tablet could make for a nice portable device for music practice, rough sketching ideas, and capturing. And I do use a smartphone already in a very limited fashion (metronome, timer, pitch reference, single-track audio recorder) for music practice and capturing of rough ideas. But the market for solid music apps on android is nearly nonexistant in comparison to ios because android was built with realtime performance as an afterthought. There are lots of possible music related uses for smartphones and tablets, but if the performance sucks at the os level, neither users nor developers are interested.

I haven't checked in a while. Maybe android latency performance is already improved.

I think the iPad music market is big enough.
Maybe it will be bigger as the dinosaur desktop market in some years :D
But what i don't need more on iOS are half baked "light" versions and ports of desktops tools.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”