Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

I think they were a Japanese company, I'm guessing no.

News update: I'm closing in on a release, things are looking good for this Friday!

I've decided to ditch all the individual switches, and just have one "mod" switch, which allows you to jump between the stock TS808 (mod off) and a version with any of the component values changed. Different sets of these parameters can be accessed via presets, and you're only ever a single switch on the main gui away from having a stock TS808. I've made a component name PDF to help with editing:
https://cytomic.com/files/scream-schematic.pdf

And here is the list of model parameters that you'll be able to edit:
biaspot, biaspotmin, buff_qnpn_bf, buff_qnpn_is, buff_qnpn_nf, c101, c102, c103, c104, c105, c105_esr, c106, c106_esr, c107, c108, c109, c111, c116, c116_esr, c117, c117_esr, coutdc, d101_active, d102_active, drive_d1_cj0, drive_d1_fc, drive_d1_imax, drive_d1_is, drive_d1_isr, drive_d1_n, drive_d1_nr, drive_d1_rs, drive_d1_tt, drive_d1_vj, drive_d2_cj0, drive_d2_fc, drive_d2_imax, drive_d2_is, drive_d2_isr, drive_d2_n, drive_d2_nr, drive_d2_rs, drive_d2_tt, drive_d2_vj, drivepot, drivepotmin, ic1_aol, ic1_cc, ic1_cp1_esr, ic1_d_is, ic1_d_n, ic1_fu, ic1_iee, ic1_qpnp_bf, ic1_qpnp_is, ic1_qpnp_nf, ic1_ro, ic1_rref1, ic1_rref2, ic1_slew, ic1_vlimneg, ic1_vlimpos, levelpot, levelpotmin, r101, r102, r103, r104, r105, r106, r107, r108, r109, r110, r111, r112, r113, r114, r115, r117, r118, r156, rbat, rinput, rjfet_off, rjfet_on, routdc, routload, tonepot, tonepotmin
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

I have no idea what anything on that parameter list actually does, and probably wouldn't dare touch it. But hey, assuming there's gonna be some presets for various combos. This will be an instant buy. Congrats on getting a new product out. Hope to see many more.

andy-cytomic wrote:I've decided to ditch all the individual switches, and just have one "mod" switch, which allows you to jump between the stock TS808 (mod off) and a version with any of the component values changed. Different sets of these parameters can be accessed via presets, and you're only ever a single switch on the main gui away from having a stock TS808. I've made a component name PDF to help with editing:
Aw man, that means only the electronic freaks will be able to "mod"/customize the plugin.

Now testing this thing first is more important than ever.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

@Andy, that sounds ridiculously cool! I can hardly wait for the release!! Hurry it up will ya! :love:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I look forward to trying it out :)

andy-cytomic wrote:And here is the list of model parameters that you'll be able to edit:
biaspot, biaspotmin, buff_qnpn_bf, buff_qnpn_is, buff_qnpn_nf, c101, c102, c103, c104, c105, c105_esr, c106, c106_esr, c107, c108, c109, c111, c116, c116_esr, c117, c117_esr, coutdc, d101_active, d102_active, drive_d1_cj0, drive_d1_fc, drive_d1_imax, drive_d1_is, drive_d1_isr, drive_d1_n, drive_d1_nr, drive_d1_rs, drive_d1_tt, drive_d1_vj, drive_d2_cj0, drive_d2_fc, drive_d2_imax, drive_d2_is, drive_d2_isr, drive_d2_n, drive_d2_nr, drive_d2_rs, drive_d2_tt, drive_d2_vj, drivepot, drivepotmin, ic1_aol, ic1_cc, ic1_cp1_esr, ic1_d_is, ic1_d_n, ic1_fu, ic1_iee, ic1_qpnp_bf, ic1_qpnp_is, ic1_qpnp_nf, ic1_ro, ic1_rref1, ic1_rref2, ic1_slew, ic1_vlimneg, ic1_vlimpos, levelpot, levelpotmin, r101, r102, r103, r104, r105, r106, r107, r108, r109, r110, r111, r112, r113, r114, r115, r117, r118, r156, rbat, rinput, rjfet_off, rjfet_on, routdc, routload, tonepot, tonepotmin
:lol: That's insane! Um...are you feeling allright Andy?
I love it! But its funny - I totally approve though. :D

A few thoughts pop into my head...
How will you fit all that in the mod page? Surely not enough space for individual knobs, so sliders maybe? Or is it like a spreadsheet? :hihi:
Can you automate all the parameters, like in your DAW?
Can you take the resistor values down to zero resistance? If you essentially take out components I guess you get a new circuit? Won't it blow up?
Can it blow up?
Can you change the battery voltage? Have you measured & modelled parameters for different types and brands of battery?
I guess you've written a manual. We'll need it! :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Can you post a pic or something. How are you supposed to edit it? Are there sliders or something? I'm most interested in the mods, so I hope it will be easy to edit.

spunkmuffin wrote: :lol: That's insane! Um...are you feeling allright Andy?
I love it! But its funny - I totally approve though. :D
I've been having loads of fun changing values and coming up with all sorts of cool sounding mods, so I figured it would be cool to let everyone in on the fun :)

spunkmuffin wrote: A few thoughts pop into my head...
How will you fit all that in the mod page? Surely not enough space for individual knobs, so sliders maybe? Or is it like a spreadsheet? :hihi:
Can you automate all the parameters, like in your DAW?
Can you take the resistor values down to zero resistance? If you essentially take out components I guess you get a new circuit? Won't it blow up?
Can it blow up?
Can you change the battery voltage? Have you measured & modelled parameters for different types and brands of battery?
I guess you've written a manual. We'll need it! :tu:
At the moment it's like a spreadsheet, you have a vertical scrollable list of those names, and then values to the right of them. Down the track I would like to allow double clicking on the schematic itself to pop-up a text box with the model parameters to edit.

There is no automation of these parameters, but this is certainly possible with extra cpu load if there is enough interest. Probably the easiest way to tackle this would be to have two sets of parameters and a single morph knob exposed as a plugin parameter to the DAW.

Resistors can go to almost zero, if you type in zero you actually get 1e-12, which is a lower resistance than 1mm of wire connecting the components.

Yes it can blow up, but I catch this and output silence so you don't slam your speakers. You can click on the CPU meter to reset the audio engine, and you can undo / redo component value edits to backtrack to a stable state, and you can reset all the component values back to a stock TS808 with a single button.

There is a voltage knob to control the battery voltage, and also a series resistance for the battery, so you can adjust both of these for a variety of effects.

Compyfox wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:I've decided to ditch all the individual switches, and just have one "mod" switch, which allows you to jump between the stock TS808 (mod off) and a version with any of the component values changed. Different sets of these parameters can be accessed via presets, and you're only ever a single switch on the main gui away from having a stock TS808. I've made a component name PDF to help with editing:
Aw man, that means only the electronic freaks will be able to "mod"/customize the plugin.

Now testing this thing first is more important than ever.
Don't fear! The default mod edit mode only exposes the most important components to edit, and provides drop down boxes to select pre-chosen component values, including switching between different kinds of diodes.

Looking forward to trying this out :tu:

Well, one thing about cytomic, you can count on it being a while :hihi:

this is an interesting turn and provides ultimate customization.
this could be an interesting way forward for certain processing.. sort of modular in a way.

Quality tends to take time, the coveted scarcity. If it were easy to make you wouldn't want it. That's Andy's magic.. he loves his work and and you can hear it. As I read this topic earlier, I could almost have sworn I saw out the corner of my eye, my very own wallet pacing the hallway awaiting the good news.
Last edited by Vertion on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Hopefully Andy will update Glue with all the real nonlinearities and thd of the real hw compressor it emulates after the Scream release. And I would love to see two modes of Glue - old (current) and new (with all bells and whistles of proper emu) and that we can choose between those two.

Return to “Effects”