Jump ship from Studio one to Live 9 + Push 2 combo within this week end (Most likey)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

some background:

Win10 + S1v3 + Maschine studio mainly for Electronic/Dance Music but I haven't used Maschine for more than 10 months due to the workflow not that works for me.

After watching more than 10 vids in youtube, I found that Live + Push2 integration is tight and the workflow is pretty fast. But here are few minor things that I'd like to seek advise from you guys.

1) I think I will get version 9.7x and in case 10 is release end of this year, based on the past experience, what how much do I need to pay for the upgrade ? Also, v9 to v9.5 is it a paid upgrade like Cubase v8 -> v8.5?

2) with Push2, I can see ppl using it mainly for drum programming and slicing ... How good and easy to use it to play melody ? Please note that I all the way use MIDI controller (black and white keys).

3) Please comment on the tech support from Ableton ? To me, I am not that happy with the respond time from NI especially after they released Komplete.

4) It has no NKS, so how good does it control the 3rd parties vst ?

If I think of any question, I will bother you guys again.

Thanks!
Cowby

There is no fee to upgrade from Ableton Live 9 all the way to 9.7

I use Win10 and have Ableton 9.7 and a push 2. I am rather new to using DAW's (about 6 months of experience with live) I am an experienced guitarist and decent pianoist. (nearly 20 year player) I write singer/songwriter style, rock, and make hip-hop beats. I got the push about a month ago and it has sped up my workflow considerably in all genres. I highly recommend the push 2. It is quite good for playing melodies. it takes a bit to get the hang of the chord shapes but there are a good deal of tutorials on youtube. I have a nektar keyboard and I only find myself reaching for it about 25% of the time now that I have a push 2. Primarily to play actual piano parts.
If you produce mostly electronic/dance I think you will find both the workflow of the push 2 and the velocity and aftertouch of the keys quite intuitive.

I actually bought ableton live suite secondhand for $400 and ableton was very quick to get the license transferred. I haven't contacted them other than that.

I haven't used alot of 3rd party plugs but have XLN addictive keys and the mapping isn't all that great out of the box.

I'm interested in what others have to say as I'm a push 2 newbie and still have alot to learn myself.

Just some advice from a newbie :)

1.- About 199, .5 updates are free.

2.- It depends, it is easy but you need to figure it out, I still prefer the keys but when I take the push to the couch and only work with it I don't have any problem.

3.- On weekdays it takes one day, they don't respond on weekend AFAIK

4.- Depends, first you have to learn how to configure (a special kind of mapping for Live/Push), then you will have to do it for each plug in. Changing presets is possible (from push) if the plug in implements the "standard" way to do it, but not all developers do this so in many cases you can't change presets from push,.
dedication to flying

Just bought it last night and thanks guys for your replies.

Not that hard to use but I am still learning from those push2 vids in youtube. But it is simple enough to let me have a quick start (may be I have some kind of Maschine background).

Still a long journey to me as a new hardware + a new DAW.

there are many, many layers to the onion that is LIVE cowby. Don't give up learning - the tutorials are very good
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Thanks mate,

Session view is new to me and I've done pretty much research on it and know the concept. However, if comparing push2 vs Maschine studio, P2 just lack of editing notes features. Or simply put, it seems to me it was born for creating clips rather than do some kind of linear sequencing. So that means using Live almost > 50% of time are using session view and then do the "mix and match" and then rest of the time will do the effect mastering etc on Arrangement view. Well, its not that bad but I need to take time to adjust my mind set and practice. :dog:

Cheers!
Cowby

so I am learning Live 9 this week and I have some questions on the piano view (session view)

Whenever I use my mouse to click on the white/black keys or even moving notes, I expected there will be corresponding notes playing. But I could hear nothing. Is there any special setting that I've missed to turn on?

headphone icon above the keys of pianoroll

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”