The most underestimated synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cron wrote:
cron wrote:You straight-up cannot have "objectively bad" anything because "bad" is itself a strictly subjective term. This isn't complicated stuff. Let's pretend for a moment that it isn't and argue from here on in using exclusively objective terms and language, or failing that, simply show me the data. Good luck.

All I'm really getting from this thread is the sense that most people don't know what the terms subjective and objective actually mean. Even if every single creature, in every infinite multiverse, thought something was bad, it still wouldn't sum up to an objective fact. If something requires a subject to appraise it, you're not in objective territory.

Subjective is not an antonym of universal.
I was responding to the post directly above mine, which claimed the Crazy Bus theme to be "objectively bad". Ironically, the Crazy Bus theme is a literally perfect piece of music from the objective viewpoint because it flawlessly served its function as a quick and dirty test of the author's sound driver. It is subjectively bad because the listener has no way of knowing this, and listens to it believing that it represents something grander than it was ever supposed to be.

I agree entirely that when we have a predefined framework against which to measure something (e.g. the conventions of symphonic form, the expected function of an umbrella) then the subject is taken away because we have an objective, inflexible framework to compare against. I was thinking less about whether the umbrella broke after one use, and more about whether or not I like the pattern on it.
Man I didn't even see your response to that! I was wondering where it all went...

So I'm just gonna say there's definitely some metric for whether production music is good or bad. Art music? everything is shades of f*ckin gray. Production music? It either works or it doesn't.

On the production angle, Crazy Bus' soundtrack is objectively bad music because it doesn't work with the end product. Whatever the intent was, whatever the producer was doing with it initially, the end result is that it sucked at being decent soundtrack for the game. That's bad music. If you want to get all technical, because we always need more technicalities for shit like this, it's bad production music. F*ck me, why not? But I just don't see it that way. For me it's either built for purpose and succeeds or fails at it; the music is either good or bad for the product or situation.

Now if you want to take it from another angle, like yourself listening to it for the first time without that context or any expectation for it to fulfill, there's really no solid way to judge it. I mean at this point, it's being looked at like post-modern art shit, so who cares? I guess that comes with the territory that says everything is great because nothing is, and effort is meaningless and all that shiggy. I don't live there so I can't subscribe.

After a couple minutes Google Research I found 'eleven salient features of good music.' You may use these to clarify the ways someone's composition is bad, or why that bird won't mate with you after hearing your song. However, I believe it's most useful when we need to objectively/subjectively analyze our own music, to find the places that need more inspired improvement:

1. Complexity and internal variety. This is tempered by items 2, 4 and 11.

2. Unity, coherence and integrity. All the pieces cohere to make a satisfying "whole".

3. Originality within a style. Original doesn't mean outlandish: if a musical piece is too far out, it becomes inaccessible (see 11).

4. Organisation, balance, flow and direction. A good piece of music is well balanced and interestingly organised, the melody flows and the whole thing has a sense of direction: it sounds like it's going somewhere.

5. Sublimity and transportation. Great music takes you somewhere else!

6. Tension, resolution and climax. A good musical piece has points of harmonic/dissonant tension followed by a release. The piece as a whole usually has a climax and ends with a dispersal of remaining tensions.

7. Spontaneous, natural feel. Not forced or contrived.

8. Inevitability, completeness and non-arbitrariness. Good music leaves you with the feeling that all the notes are right and that even if you altered a small number of them the whole piece would be spoilt.

9. Excitement and passion. This is subjective.

10. Respect for tradition. The best music of today has its roots in traditional harmony and rhythm, and follows most of the principles used by Bach. There appear to be absolute values that underly all good music.

11. Accessibility and attention grabbing. - Good music must be comprehensible to its usual audience to communicate with them, and original enough to grab their attention (eg "hooks").

I shortened this from https://daverobinson.id.au/goodmusic.html
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I like to mention KLOPFGEIST by LogicPro. This is by far the best rhythm maker ever!

fluffy_little_something wrote:I know it is hardware, but the DX5 sounds very impressive, is there an emulation of it?
It does seem to sound better than the DX7, or maybe it's just the wooden panel and metal housing :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxSTjiE_5V0
It gives you an idea of all the splendid things you can do with Dexed or with FM8 or with Phantom (from DiscoDSP)... and even with Oxe.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

cron wrote:
jancivil wrote:
cron wrote:You straight-up cannot have "objectively bad" anything because "bad" is itself a strictly subjective term. This isn't complicated stuff. Let's pretend for a moment that it isn't and argue from here on in using exclusively objective terms and language, or failing that, simply show me the data. Good luck.

All I'm really getting from this thread is the sense that most people don't know what the terms subjective and objective actually mean. Even if every single creature, in every infinite multiverse, thought something was bad, it still wouldn't sum up to an objective fact. If something requires a subject to appraise it, you're not in objective territory.

Subjective is not an antonym of universal.
No, there is such a thing as poorly-made
[...]
Materials and craftmanship.
[...]
Now, for your 'argument' to hold, music as a craft is outside the boundaries of human language. 'Using exclusively objective terms' is impossible? Because music.

[...]bad music is strictly impossible. Then, good music is conceptually impossible.

[...]definition of 'objective' is special (as though narrowed in order to suit your premise). Also suspect is the word 'fact' here, as if 'your idea of music is never actual fact' obviates speaking of the objective in music.

I would say that if something is taken as not good by every single entity in every possible universe chances are extremely high it is not good.

Before you respond, I will reiterate that I said 'chances are high' rather than 'absolutely must be true'. ;)
cron wrote: I should have said that my comments related only to aesthetic quality rather than expected function, and you're right to call out the overconfident generalisation. I've also perhaps misread the conversation as I believed we were talking about objective/subjective as in exists without/within the mind.
cron wrote:
Besides that, in general terms you have decided to promote the idea that bad music is strictly impossible. Then, good music is conceptually impossible. Your logic! So any lunatic or idiot banging on a toy which produces maybe two tones can be said to be equal to the very finest work? And you think this works?
I absolutely stand by this however. "Can be said to be..." well who's saying it? Somebody has to! The works don't exist within a vacuum. Good and bad music can only be good or bad if there's someone there to hear it.
So, your argument remains 'for a thing to be looked at objectively, no one can be looking at it'? Yeah, there's a fatal flaw here. This smacks of nihilism. I don't think you mean it to be, but I do suggest examining that premise.

Besides which, you're dinging 'can be said...' in service of that. Are you ready to argue that any lunatic or idiot banging on a toy [xylophone, an actual guy in front of WalMart] producing maybe two tones is equal to Bartok Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste? I see that you probably aren't. So these definitions of 'objective' kind of just muddy the waters as far I'm concerned.

For my part 'deeply stupid' rather invalidates an opinion. Are we to differ this widely on the meaning of 'valid' as well? :)

And someone said that for me to consider some Top 40 radio music to be 'polished turds' only means it didn't meet my expectation, just as an umbrella that failed to work once didn't, both being my fault for having expectations, one supposes.

My expectation of that pop music? You don't even know what that is. I don't have an expectation particularly.The problem is not in my prejudice, the problem is that the cases I'm actually thinking about are objectively stupid music, with impoverished musical ideas that are surely blatant copies of other stupid musical motifs with no imagination at work at all, yet they are slickly produced with pre-fab risers that mean tons of excitement for drug-addled soulless quasi-automatons. I can articulate that some more again if you'd like.

Is there such a thing as a stupid statement in language? If so, it stands to reason such a thing exists in music, which is a language.

This 'all things subjective' line of thinking is for idiots. cron, can you explain what harmony is? logic? grammar? meaning? how the world works? Is this subjective? If your opinion is subjective, why don't you just shut up, because it's neither true, nor false? Please!

Armagibbon wrote:[...] it's bad production music. For me it's either built for purpose and succeeds or fails at it; the music is either good or bad for the product or situation.

Now if you want to take it from another angle, like yourself listening to it for the first time without that context or any expectation for it to fulfill, there's really no solid way to judge it.
Well, there is very little that's going to be brand-spanking new to me.

I made an argument from craft/from technique. I can discern Cecil Taylor from somebody bullshitting, for instance. It's object-reliant as much as it's history-reliant for me. I've had people take shots at me for being incoherent, including one additionally having at Satie being incoherent because the idiot believed it was mine. The latter and some of the former was in fact formal and the form clearly based in repeated motifs or rhythm. So some people are less fit to judge than others. An objective fact. :D

jancivil wrote:And someone said that for me to consider some Top 40 radio music to be 'polished turds' only means it didn't meet my expectation, just as an umbrella that failed to work once didn't, both being my fault for having expectations, one supposes.

My expectation of that pop music? You don't even know what that is. I don't have an expectation particularly.The problem is not in my prejudice, the problem is that the cases I'm actually thinking about are objectively stupid music, with impoverished musical ideas that are surely blatant copies of other stupid musical motifs with no imagination at work at all, yet they are slickly produced with pre-fab risers that mean tons of excitement for drug-addled soulless quasi-automatons. I can articulate that some more again if you'd like.

Is there such a thing as a stupid statement in language? If so, it stands to reason such a thing exists in music, which is a language.
See, I'm not arguing with any of this.

My problem is with the use of the terms "good" and "bad" to define music. If you want to say music that is "skillfully" written or music that is "unskillfully" written or even "poorly" written, I've got no problem with that. It's why idiots like me went to college to learn music composition in the first place. I wanted to write something that would have a chance of being looked at as, without using the term good, "skilled" or "finely crafted".

But to say that music that is NOT skillfully written or finely crafted is "bad" music, meaning, IMO, not worth crap and has no value at all to humanity, then no, I absolutely disagree. I can list tons of music that I'll admit wasn't written with the skill of a Mozart or Chopin that made me feel a hell of a lot better inside than anything they ever wrote, especially when I was feeling a bit low.

I remember the first time I heard Napoleon XIV's "They're Coming To Take Me Away." Had the laugh of my life. And boy did I need it that day. I even remember where I was and who played it for me.

And the list of songs that flat out just put a smile on my face goes on and on. And I am sure most classical snobs would call at least 99% of it junk.

Well that "junk" got me through some pretty rough days.

Anything that can make you feel good short of sticking a needle in your arm and risking death can't be bad.

Unskilled? In most cases, I'd say so.

Poorly written? Probably.

But bad?

Only to self righteous snobs who have to convince the rest of the world that their shit doesn't stink.

martinjuenke wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Michael L wrote:Yes. Some birds just repeat their songs while others learn motifs, copy, vary, etc. And female birds recognise and value the greater craftsmanship of some males as a sign of mate quality.
It's funny because it's true!

Yeah, so science has demonstrated that some birds have more chops, and that the girl birds tend to have the musical discernment to know it.

But hey, all consideration of musical quality is absolutely per se subjective. There is no craft to it! Or that just doesn't matter.

So why not take this to another artform: Jersey Shore is as good as television can be because quality cannot be judged on any basis. An image is never better than any other image regardless of its compositional sense. Because there is no such thing as compositional sense, because everything is subjective. Nothing is ever constructed or composed. That smacks of nihilism, the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. (There can be no criteria because you have no tools to use it, is what happened there, methinks.)
Oh my god!
I am not!

jancivil wrote:
sjm wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:My typing "IS" organized and if I intend for it to be music, then, I contend that it "IS" music, but if I don't, then it isn't?
Yeah, that's my difficulty with intent. At some point it encourages people to be pretentious artwankers and do things like put a chair in a room and call it an installation.
So, then, your opinion of their behavior or even personality type makes you mistrustful of their intent, hence probably not music?
sjm wrote:Heck, I think even if you tapped a 4/4 beat, most people wouldn't think it was really music. But why?
So for you the mere 4/4 beat is closer to music than the rhythmic typing, organized as it is albeit not purely a known musical type of organization?

If I take something as music, that's that. You're not going to persuade me otherwise. That's my choice.
Call that me as composer applying editing to 'found music', whatever. A bird, some traffic noise.

At this point we're in a swamp of other people's opinions, and I chose this one as illustrative of one I would not rely on for my definition. :shrug:

Equally, when someone says 'this is music', puts that frame around it, I may as well take them at their word, so to speak. And judge for myself if it's worth continuing to experience it. When a frame so specific as 'Symphony in G major' or something is used, I may decide to judge it according to some prerequisites, though. When it does purport to be exactly what that looks like, I will.
Glad to see I am now the KVR equivalent of the man on the Clapham omnibus by general consensus.

Does this make me KVR's official voice of reason?

jancivil wrote:Absynth
This!

I don't know why folks buy F/X sample packs, just load Absynth and browse the FX presets and... Jam away!
And much more original sounding than sample packs used to death by everyone and their cat!

Since it turned interesting for me to read all your comments and replies here
I'd like to share my point of view both on music quality and synths quality.
(apologizing for my flawed English)

Music is a function of society, so it cannot be separated from the other
qualities of a society, especially culture.
Moreover we do not have a world wide homogeneous society of human beings.
So we have many societies, more or less isolated or overlapping.
And so similarly differentiated is also the quality of all possible music.
Some of you said that already, though not so explicitly, I think.

And even inside a chosen society there are stratifications: of expectations, taste,
education, sensibility, experience and so on. Mostly intersecting too.

Therefore I think that it will always be highly controversial to make
comparisons as you are doing. While it's true to me that possibly there is
a base set of scientific qualities (not qualia) that can suggest us
the universality of musical language, our interpretation of music
is so distorted and conditioned by the qualities of the society we belong to,
and by our subjective temporary state (mood, education, etc...)
that our reciprocal understanding in the "talk about music" seems absurdly limited.

Just as the points reported from https://daverobinson.id.au/goodmusic.html
are. E.G. by 11:
"Good music must be comprehensible to its USUAL audience to communicate with them"
The "usual audience" is the "society" I mentioned above. Of curse if one cannot understand
as music what's listening to, then cannot say if it's good or not! <grin>
That point says it all and says nothing. The other points are strongly biased
to what it's supposed to be "beautiful" or entertaining in a small or large area of the world.
Not useless, but I must say that it's strongly biased. That cannot be otherwise
and it's not necessarily bad, because of what I said above about the many societies.

Cage and that kind.
His silence piece and other "conceptual avantgarde" compositions
make sense to me in a live context. There was a trend in those years of
performances and conceptual artists that aimed mostly to an intellectual
and philosophical experience, some forms of rational "consciousness expansion",
from Europe to Japan through USA. That went far beyond music.
I would say a precious and interesting time for liberal arts and music.
But it was transitory as much as influential, at least in this area of the world.
Today, that silence is part of music is so obvious that shouldn't need to be said.

Synth quality.
Even a simple, uncomplicated synth is a complex object.
A single patch can sound so rich that could be felt like a micro composition in itself.
The interface is rich of shapes and often colours.
The workflow/parameters that a synth can offer is conceptually very relevant to the user.
Such an object cannot avoid the same stratifications like the "music per society"
and the "music per temporary state of the listener", as above : mood, taste,
education, experience and so on.

So is it useless to compare music and synths?
Not at all, even considering the subjectivity/society factors,
*and actually considering those*,
the "let's talk about..." is just what we need to grow in knowledge
and sensibility (if we want to grow).

An underestimated synth for me?
Swarm by AnarchyFX

I think it is Steinberg VB-1. Such a wonderful synth with so many features. I couldn't live without it. :hihi:

And another one is Steinberg Neon. What a sound! Fat and warm, but also sparkly! :party:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

U-he tyrell n6. Could easily be a paid synth.

Return to “Instruments”