Simplistic plugins that get the job done

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In this thread I want to express my love for plugins that follow a very simplistic (others would say restrictive) approach.

When using plugins with a large number of tuning and tweaking options I always find myself endlessly playing with all the knobs without ever having the feeling that I got the best possible result out of it. Sure, I am not a professional user and I understand that pros want and need more sophosticated products. But there's always this feeling that I should perhaps increase parameter X by 0,5 dB or change a frequency setting from 1500 to 1525 Hz... and I keep fiddling and listening and fiddling and listening... it's a devil's circle and it keeps me from finishing a mixing step.

On the other hand there are simple plugins with a very limited amount of parameters. One of my favorite examples for this would be PSPs 2445 reverb. Only a pre-delay and a decay knob - each with a limited number of pre defined settings instead of a steplessly variable knob. Absolutely perfect! It's very easy to hear differences between the pre defined settings and that makes it so much easier to find the best possible setting. And if I want some more highs/lows I can engage the switch - just an on/off switch without the need to think if the boost should be 1,5, 3 or 6,8561 dB or if the frequency should be 7500 or 7649 Hz. I love it! I get a good setting in a couple of minutes and don't feel the need to keep tweaking. Mission accomplished, job done. Next mixing step.

Another example for great minimalistic plugins would be Soundtoy's "Jr/Little" plugins.

What would be your recommendations for plugins with a simplistic GUI and a very limited number of parameters?

I use these all the time: http://www.finalmix.biz/Final_Mix_Software/Home.html

Can't get much simpler than this 8)
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

You should get the One KNob plugins from waves then
:borg:

Hi

14 controls and 3 switches (4 are duplicate) make up a wonderful delay plugin:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/morphin ... ng/details

Perhaps not minimal, but still relatively few controls - when you look at the plug it certainly seems quite sparse.

I have a whole bunch of delays, but I certainly found this the most joy to work with - I produced a bank of over 100 presets to suit the Reggae/Dub music I produce.

Although discontinued now (apparently an update is due).

Another plug that I really liked for its ease of use was Linplugs 'Alpha':

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/alpha-b ... ug/details

Perhaps not that 'simplistic', but everything is on 1 screen with enough options to get a wide variety of sounds - definitely a nice synth to start of with (another discontinued vst though...).

Not sure if my 'simple' is the same as others - generally I like a little more control than 'one' knob - but, if that is all that is required, then that is fine as well.

the ones included with the DAW of your choice.
dedication to flying

Sonimus TuCo.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

rod_zero wrote:the ones included with the DAW of your choice.
Particularly if it's Reaper. People keep complaining about the simplistic GUIs and controls. I love 'em.

Steve

V0RT3X wrote:You should get the One KNob plugins from waves then
Yes. I use One Knob Saturation all the time.

+1

I've been plenty happy with the plugins included with Samplitude Pro X, especially with things like dynamics processing, etc. Its instruments leave a bit to be desired though -- but for studio tools, it's very solid.

slipstick wrote:
Particularly if it's Reaper. People keep complaining about the simplistic GUIs and controls. I love 'em.

Steve
Meh, there's too much love for those, for the most part, they're not really all that. Some of them are ok.

sbj wrote:I use these all the time: http://www.finalmix.biz/Final_Mix_Software/Home.html

Can't get much simpler than this 8)
Is there any trials for those ?
Duh

ghettosynth wrote:
slipstick wrote:

Steve
Meh, there's too much love for those, for the most part, they're not really all that. Some of them are ok.
They sound very clean and work very well, i just find them really annoying to use personally, if they could be themed and relaid out they would be really useful to me.
Duh

As for the OP
The obvious winners here are Airwindows, dont come any simpler, rarely come any more useful.
Duh

bungle wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
slipstick wrote:

Steve
They sound very clean and work very well, i just find them really annoying to use personally, if they could be themed and relaid out they would be really useful to me.

I just don't agree that they always work well, or for that matter, even sound "very clean." The reverbs are particularly weak. I'm not all that impressed with the compressor. The EQ is fine except that U/I is important there IMHO and the Reaper U/I game just isn't very strong.

As far as simple plugins that get the job done I think that LoudMax is decent and it's free. Sie-Q from soundtoys is also great and fairly basic. A lot of people like the Waves Renn compressors.

Klevgrand's Kuvert - https://klevgrand.se/products/kuvert/

I love the simplicity. I use it on almost every synth track, if not on every song. These guys do some really interesting "simple" plugins, including synths.

And the price is right. :tu:

Return to “Effects”