Pleasantly surprised... by MuLab!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App

I use MuLab every day and love it. On the surface the UI is very clean which keeps my mind clear. Under the hood it has a strong focus on a fast workflow via R-click context menus, drag/drop, double-click, and shortcut keys. Be sure to read the Docs to understand the workflow: http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/index.html

Its modular approach is very flexible, and different from other DAWs. In addition to what Trancit said, I will add the outstanding Performance Sequencer, and the ability to set the midi grid to notes of any length (e.g. seventh notes) or time signature.

Modules can be quickly combined to try almost idea you have in mind. Users in the forum continually invent synths and FX "plugins" with very high audio quality. Among the DAWs I have tried, it is the most like an instrument.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Hi again,

Litte had I imagined that this thread would get so many replies. I now see that I myself must dig deeper as well (for one thing, I wasn't aware that other people have created synths for it!). I agree with the previous poster that this DAW is very instrument-ish, that is, you play it rather than work with it.

For me, the best feature of MuLab is actually the handling of drums. I don't like the idea of putting one drum sound per track. In MuLab, you add a drum track ("MUDrum"), and when you open it in piano roll, you get the drum names rather than the keys. If you open the MuDrum instrument, you can select between different drum sets, and you can also load two (I think) samples for each drum. That is, you can have a basic drum machine sound, but have your own snare drum, for example. What's even nicer is that each drum sound can then have its own effects chain. In conclusion, this means that even though all drum sounds are on one track, you still get the opportunity to have a separate reverb for the snare drum etc, and without cluttering the screen with various drum tracks and drum sound level meters.

If you have very little time (like me) this is a great feature.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Hi.

Is there a built in bit bridge? I use Reaper exclusively but I would like to add another daw for just midi work.

^^^ MuLab for Windows has 32 and 64 bit versions. There is a kvr MuLab forum: viewforum.php?f=79
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Trancit wrote:On the download page there are 64 bit versions for Mac of MuLab and Mux...
The VST version of MUX is Windows only.

But it looks like Mux is integrated into MuLab on Mac now (didn't used to be last time I checked which was a couple years ago)

pdxindy wrote:The VST version of MUX is Windows only.
No, it isn't.

http://www.mutools.com/mux-downloads.html
MUX Modular 7.3.9 VST for MacOS 64 bit

And, of course, that's just the latest full release. The patch upgrades are also available for MacOS: http://www.mutools.com/galaxa/mux/
pdxindy wrote:But it looks like Mux is integrated into MuLab on Mac now (didn't used to be last time I checked which was a couple years ago)
No, MuX has always been an integral part of MuLab.

Michael L wrote:^^^ MuLab for Windows has 32 and 64 bit versions. There is a kvr MuLab forum: viewforum.php?f=79
Thanks

pljones wrote:
pdxindy wrote:The VST version of MUX is Windows only.
No, it isn't.

http://www.mutools.com/mux-downloads.html
MUX Modular 7.3.9 VST for MacOS 64 bit
The website still says Windows only... in 2 places

Thanks for the link

pljones wrote:
pdxindy wrote:But it looks like Mux is integrated into MuLab on Mac now (didn't used to be last time I checked which was a couple years ago)
No, MuX has always been an integral part of MuLab.
No it hasn't. More than once over the years the developer told me it wasn't when I asked.

pdxindy wrote:No it hasn't. More than once over the years the developer told me it wasn't when I asked.
It depends what you asked. If you said "Is MUX VST included when I buy MuLab", the answer is definitely no. They are separate products. If you want to use MUX inside MuLab, it's always been there.

pdxindy wrote:The website still says Windows only... in 2 places
Whereabouts? Maybe post in the MuTools forum and get Jo to fix them! :)

pljones wrote:
pdxindy wrote:No it hasn't. More than once over the years the developer told me it wasn't when I asked.
It depends what you asked. If you said "Is MUX VST included when I buy MuLab", the answer is definitely no. They are separate products. If you want to use MUX inside MuLab, it's always been there.
The developer told me otherwise... I suppose he misunderstood my request... doesn't matter now!

I've been really impressed with the latest version of Mulab as well. I would for midi specifically its great and, at least as of version 7, its been remarkably stable on windows 10. I think its got a great future and Id love to see more development on the audio editing side of things since its midi capabilities are so well done.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote:its been remarkably stable on windows 10. I think its got a great future and Id love to see more development on the audio editing side of things since its midi capabilities are so well done.
I agree!
Go MuLab!

Doc Brown wrote:Hi.

Is there a built in bit bridge? I use Reaper exclusively but I would like to add another daw for just midi work.
Question: I have watched a videos on MIDI editing in Reaper and it looks really good nowadays, for example, limiting insertable notes according to scales. What is it that you would prefer MuLab for in terms of MIDI?
Go MuLab!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”