Pleasantly surprised... by MuLab!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App

SparkySpark wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Hi.

Is there a built in bit bridge? I use Reaper exclusively but I would like to add another daw for just midi work.
Question: I have watched a videos on MIDI editing in Reaper and it looks really good nowadays, for example, limiting insertable notes according to scales. What is it that you would prefer MuLab for in terms of MIDI?
To be fair it is very good with midi. There are some things that work but they feel "tacked on". The main thing is I wanted to learn another daw just to broaden my horizon's and mulab is economical like reaper and seems to have a great dev behind it. Reaper will always be my go to daw but it never hurts to learn.

Of course, you can do everything and more in Reaper... but sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming and I always feel Reaper as features are thrown in without having any order... it feels a bit chaotic for me and I use perhaps 10%...

Mulab´s focus is more to keep things simple and organized to have a nice workflow with having a real powerhouse at your fingertips if you dive in deeper...
Second focus is to have everything out of the box, optimized to work very well toghether...
Especially the internals (everything about MUX) loads lightning fast with a very small CPU usage...

In regards of audio editing... I feel the internal editor already quite capable and nicely integrated (i.e. for slicing up a drumloop with having a corresponding midi sequence, which can be updated with the changes you´ve made in the audio editor)...

For every deeper work, there is always the option to send the audiofile to an external editor from within Mulab, which gets as well updated after making changes...

In regards of timestretching, there is something cooking as well...homemade... and like I know Jo´s attitude... it will sound very well.

Actually it might be that MuLab's biggest problem is that it has such a good workflow that most impressive stuff are under the hood and never visible to the user. Hmmm... It's difficult to be everything to everyone. :)

I still feel that Reaper has more features though.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

BTW, one thing that both DAWs have in common is the lack of romplerish sounds. I'm thinking that a good rompler producer could co- work with them on a nice bundle deal. Why not the overlooked Air .Xpand2?
Go MuLab!

What's the possibility of the step sequencer to include step division (ratcheting)? It's important for electronic music at least in the Berlin style.

SparkySpark wrote:...
I still feel that Reaper has more features though.
That´s why I wrote:
Of course, you can do everything and more in Reaper...
MuLab is not intended to be more... it shall be less...sometimes less is better 8)

Trancit wrote:
MuLab is not intended to be more... it shall be less...sometimes less is better 8)
Very true! :)
Go MuLab!

Trancit wrote:Of course, you can do everything and more in Reaper...
I tried to set up a multi channel, multi-vst gate trigger drum setup on my midi controller (black and white keys) in Reaper and never made it. Only in Mulab yes..

Mulab has all the flexibility to assign anything to anything and use their modular components to make it work.

It's really awesome and fast.

It has a few quirks but nothing major enough that I am sticking with it.

SparkySpark wrote:BTW, one thing that both DAWs have in common is the lack of romplerish sounds. I'm thinking that a good rompler producer could co- work with them on a nice bundle deal. Why not the overlooked Air .Xpand2?
Were Mux to have the ability to encrypt/packet samples made for it, so as to be an instrument that sample library/instrument devs could use like Kontakt/Falcon, etc.

then... Mulab on the whole, would grow in value, and exposure/use. Plugging Mux into even the entry level version would be an easy road to mass appeal.

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:BTW, one thing that both DAWs have in common is the lack of romplerish sounds. I'm thinking that a good rompler producer could co- work with them on a nice bundle deal. Why not the overlooked Air .Xpand2?
Were Mux to have the ability to encrypt/packet samples made for it, so as to be an instrument that sample library/instrument devs could use like Kontakt/Falcon, etc.

then... Mulab on the whole, would grow in value, and exposure/use. Plugging Mux into even the entry level version would be an easy road to mass appeal.

[2c]
Really interesting thought! It's amazing, as soon as I try another host, I just want to go back to MuLab. It's all in the workflow. :tu:

Speaking of romplers in MuLab, I just got the Aeolian fxp to work with Cyclone in MuLab. Now I enjoy thousands of sounds from the eighties and nineties. :)

- Now back to Eurovision Song Contest. Why not having MuLab projected in the background? :hihi: (Right now, there are a female singer and two half-naked men in a swimming pool...) :dog:
Go MuLab!

Is the Mulab stuff still Not For Resale? I have two useless licences lying around here that I'd like to give someone who can use them.

TheKid wrote:Not For Resale?
FYI, not transferable:
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... swers.html
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

What a shame...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”