Help me patch my new synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sfd wrote:@fluffy_little_something

What are you doing? Throwing shit on an amateur developer.

You must have to much time at your disposal.
I was bumping his thread, and making a few legitimate comments...

BlackWinny wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
bayouland wrote:Those frequencies are the equivalents of A0-A5.

David
Just found the frequencies unusual for an eq. The frequencies on Waves' Element for instance are 100, 600, 1500 and 9000 Hz, which I suppose correspond to musically relevant "sweet spots".
No, These common values are simply rounded values, either in the DSP itself... either simply to simplify the visual GUI. It depends the will of the developer.

But when they are efficient and give the most wonderful results... they in fact follow the principles I recalled. These are fundamental principles in the DSP for the coloring of the sound in a VCF (in the effect section, the equalizer can use any other cutoff values that you want, because in the FX section we are no more in the subtractive synthesis itself but in effects which are a complement to the synthesis itself). If in the VCF section your equalizer uses cutoff frequencies which are not the same as the note used as reference on each octave (generally the note A)... then you will have very strange unwanted behaviors in the amplitudes of your harmonics from an octave to another with the playing of the same chord (A major for example). Simply because your cutoffs are not correctly made to behave the same way from an octave to another if you use cutoffs at 250, 500, 1000, etc, instead of cutoffs at 220, 440, 880, etc. which are the best way to assure exactly the correct amplitude of the harmonics in the color of the sound for the same chord at each octave throughout all the keyboard.

In a VCF section (we don't talk about the FX section here! Be very aware of that!), when you want to use an equalizer, you have a huge interest to have band-pass filters with a cutoff on each octave (the cutoff used for the fundamental in a chord for the reference, A major played on each octave for example). That way you find much better the colors you want to give to each part of your keyboard because each octave has of course the frequency which is the double of the previous octave in your equalizer as well as on your keyboard... but it is also a very good preparation if one future day you want to add a keyboard tracking feature on the VCF which includes these band-pass filters.
I don't agree. Music and the human hearing are not some linear science, some frequency ranges are simply more important than others. That fact is also used by the manufacturers of audio hardware such as headphones, loudspeakers etc.
After all, that's why we usually consider a flat eq "curve" as boring, while boosting rather specific frequencies makes our perception of music more, or less, pleasant.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
sfd wrote:@fluffy_little_something

What are you doing? Throwing shit on an amateur developer.

You must have to much time at your disposal.
I was bumping his thread, and making a few legitimate comments...
I never took it as a slam. I took it as a legitimate question. The question from fluffy_little-something that is. That's why I answered them. I'm pretty thick shinned. :D

David
Last edited by bayouland on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rearranged GUI to make more sense. Available in original post.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is S1-A the name of the synth, David ?
:)

And for the "company" name on the GUI, will it be Bayouland ?

I ask these two questions for the logo which will be on the panel.
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

S1-A is the name of the Synth. The name of the company is First Audio Research and Technology. And yes, I'm aware that the acronym spells FART. My kids came up with that one and I went along with it. The logo I use for the website is below. Don't laugh. Kids will make you do strange things. :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm getting more 32 bit downloads than 64 bit. Interesting...

David

bayouland wrote:I'm getting more 32 bit downloads than 64 bit. Interesting...

David
Yes. Because for the moment Synthedit 1.2 32-bit remains more reliable than Synthedit 1.2 64-bit. There will be yet several weeks (or months) before the people (musicians as well as developers) will trust the brand new 64-bit edition of Synthedit. It remains too many bugs and flaws for the moment and probably some very perfidious traps which will appear with the time, and not only about the GUI but also about some parts of the sound processing which still wait to be used... and the support of the so weird VST3 format is a hassle compared to the VST2 format, especially concerning the MIDI implementation.
:D

Superb, your logo under the VU-meter!
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

bayouland wrote: ... I'm aware that the acronym spells FART...
Well, a lot of folks on KVR have GAS so...

ontol wrote:
bayouland wrote: ... I'm aware that the acronym spells FART...
Well, a lot of folks on KVR have GAS so...
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”