Elektrostudio Ocet Vs. the real EKO Computerhythm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Elektrostudio's excellent emulators, including the Ocet, which emulates the EKO Compurhythm. I have a few questions for people who are familiar with both:

So Rhythmus, Elektrostudio's Minipops 7 emulator, sounds basically like a Minipops to me, although the bass seems a lot punchier. However, when I listen to demos of the Compurhythm on Youtube, it sounds nothing like Ocet.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBWKmkDzGw

Vs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_oU2whiOTI

I looks like, on the real Computerhythm, you can toggle two voices for every track. On the Ocet, these are replace by trigger and mute buttons. Some sounds, like the rolling snare, don't seem achievable by the Ocet.

Is there a way to get a faithful representation of the Computerhythm out of the Ocet? Maybe one of the presets is meant to be the 'default' one that accurately represents the original, but I can't find it.
Last edited by publicradio on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhythmus' bass drum, snare drum and hi-hats are all off and require extensive eq'ing to make them sound like the Korg MP7.

The bass drum on Ocet is, from my memory very similar to the one from the Computerhythm, but the other sounds are not.

But then again, imo the Computerhythm's only good sound was the bass drum.

Both of these early drum machines were used by Jarre on Oxygene 1976, and interestingly the only sound he used from the Computerhythm, was the bass drum. The big drum kick sound on Oxygene part 3, which was further processed through the EHX Small Stone, to give it that variation.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

When it comes to YT synth videos, it is a good thing to have 1 essential skill - detecting proper recording techniques.

On the video you linked it is clear that it is not recorded directly to the interface but through some amp/speaker/untreated.room/microphone.
Of course in that case the sound will be very different.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

HunterKiller wrote:The bass drum on Ocet is, from my memory very similar to the one from the Computerhythm, but the other sounds are not.
OCETs sounds are fully editable though.

If you click the little white glyph just below a slots label (A/B/C/D/E/F) the edit panel for that module opens and gives you access to the ToneOsc, NoiseOsc and FilterType.

That way you can create loads of different sounds, (from Bass to Glass), which can then be saved to disk.

Each module also has its own Randomizer.

Ah. Haven't used it for years though. ;)
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Mutant, you're right. I should have picked a video of the real EKO with line output, and of the VST without any reverb. I've switched the videos now.

Hunterkiller, you're right that the Rhythmus sounds are not actually a very faithful representation of the original. I was pretty excited when I came across the free Elektrostudio VST pack, but I did notice that the Tapeotronic is not a great emulator of the Mellotron. I don't know if the Model Mini is a faithful representation of the Minimoog but I haven't gotten great sounds out of it. I think the old Tal U-No sounds better that Elektrostudio's Juno 60 emulator. But their Micromoog emu sounds great, and the Davolslint and Solina emus sound perfect, to my ear.

As for the Ocet, I'm glad you can tweak the sounds, and I'll give it a try. But do we know that it's even possible to eventually get the Computerhythm sounds out of this VST? Does anyone know of any presets out there for the Ocet?

Return to “Instruments”