MIDI Channel Filter and MIDI Channel Mapper removed from 2.1

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know why MIDI Channel Filter and MIDI Channel Mapper were removed from 2.1? They were the two things that kept me remotely hopeful with this DAW. :evil:

My guess is that there was some conceptual problem that needs a rethink... but that is entirely speculation...

I would ask tech support. It would be great if you could report back with their response.

it was a Bitwig only virtual not MIDI implantation based one, so had nothing to do with the real MIDI note channel number, ergo was totally pointless (can't be passed through VST based MIDI note generators -arp devices etc- which set/reset real MIDI note channel numbers, doesn't keep the track input channels etc. )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I'm actually happy they took it out again, since it would have driven people crazy.
It didn't solve any real problem but made it look as if Midi channels would be supported now.
They need to implement real Midi channels both for inputs and inside of tracks and hopefully also for notes, everything else is just silly.

But this attempt at least shows that they are aware of the problem and that it will probably be fixed in due time.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Whattttt?!?!? This was the thing I was soooo looking forward to! I can't believe it was removed. I'm also surprised to hear that a midi filter can be done wrong conceptually. Isn't it just ignoring all channels but the chosen ones?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Whattttt?!?!? This was the thing I was soooo looking forward to! I can't believe it was removed. I'm also surprised to hear that a midi filter can be done wrong conceptually. Isn't it just ignoring all channels but the chosen ones?
... in theory yes, but if you only have Midi channel 1 inside of tracks (which was still the same), what good does a channel filter or translator do you? It would only make sense if a.) the inputs would have channel selectors and b.) tracks could hold notes with different channels.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

xbitz wrote:it was a Bitwig only virtual not MIDI implantation based one, so had nothing to do with the real MIDI note channel number, ergo was totally pointless (can't be passed through VST based MIDI note generators -arp devices etc- which set/reset real MIDI note channel numbers, doesn't keep the track input channels etc. )
Damn, that's not good at all. Oh well, guess I didn't lose what I thought I was going to get after-all.

The way Bitwig believes that you only need 1 midi channel is so daunting in this age of music. Actually, their entire midi implementation leaves a lot to be desired and should be a major focus of development IMHO. But then I'm coming from Cubase and Logic so... :?

they are a small developer group so have to develop unique features(or feature which ones missing from other DAWs) to able to distinct themselves from the concurrences otherwise wont able to sell Bitwig(or have to do tricks like the 12months prepaying system), nobody gonna cares features which exist in other DAWs for decades, so definitely not an easy case ...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:they are a small developer group so have to develop unique features(or feature which ones missing from other DAWs) to able to distinct themselves from the concurrences otherwise wont able to sell Bitwig(or have to do tricks like the 12months prepaying system), nobody gonna cares features which exist in other DAWs for decades, so definitely not an easy case ...
Bitwig best strength is as an agile and semi-modular environment suitable for creative work with both software and hardware... that really needs a good and flexible midi implementation.

One of the reasons I upgraded as well. A shame it didn't work how you would expect!

To be honest I want to like bitwig but the midi implementation just wears me down, for instance I just wanted to play a hardware synth using the hardware instrument and my Linnstrument but BW decides that the pitchbend will not be sent to the hardware device. To get it to work you have to use the generic midi controller for the Linnstrument.

Ok not too bad you might think, just have two controllers for the linnstrument, one using the MPE script and one using the generic script.

Do this though and BW starts ignoring all midi from any device, you have to delete one of the controllers and restart BW to get the midi working again. It's like banging your head against the wall.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote:
Do this though and BW starts ignoring all midi from any device, you have to delete one of the controllers and restart BW to get the midi working again. It's like banging your head against the wall.
did you report that?

Nope I didn't. I have no belief it would be sorted out if I did!

Sounds quite narrow minded. Why whouldn't they fix it?

I just tried it without the linnstrument to see if it was something to do with MPE.

You can replicate it easily, just set two controllers to use the same midi device. Switch the channels midi input and then thats it, no more responding to midi until you restart.

Return to “Bitwig”