Overestimated synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:Why isn't Omnisphere on page one? Cmon, even the name is injected with pure pharmaceutical grade pomposity.
I'd agree if it had been called the "Pompositron"

jancivil wrote:
aumordia wrote:Sound design in general is overrated. R2D2 bleeps and bumblebee wubs are not going to stand the test of time.
You have general and specific confused there, don't you.
I was specifically mocking your general taste in synths, if that's what you're asking.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Casio synths

aumordia wrote:
jancivil wrote:
aumordia wrote:Sound design in general is overrated. R2D2 bleeps and bumblebee wubs are not going to stand the test of time.
You have general and specific confused there, don't you.
I was specifically mocking your general taste in synths, if that's what you're asking.
I wasn't asking anything, there's a statement about your confusion regarding those two terms. So you aren't interested in sound design :shrug:
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:Why isn't Omnisphere on page one? Cmon, even the name is injected with pure pharmaceutical grade pomposity.

Page 2

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6766437

jancivil wrote: I wasn't asking anything, there's a statement about your confusion regarding those two terms. So you aren't interested in sound design :shrug:
I am not a nerd, no, if that's what you're asking.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Anything that relies on teh supersaw
anything EDM people like :P

Gonna go in a different direction here and say DX7.

AnX wrote:

Page 2

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6766437
Missed it, +1 on the lack-o-soul.

On Edit: I see, different thread, need more coffee today. Still, yes, it belongs there AND here.

nineofkings wrote:Gonna go in a different direction here and say DX7.
DX7 belongs in the "Synths where people only ever played the presets" category

So basically everything that's become a legend, sold a lot of copies and got used on a zillion records. Right.

Wrong!

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

sfxsound3 wrote:So basically everything that's become a legend, sold a lot of copies and got used on a zillion records. Right.

Wrong!
None of that has anything to do with overestimated. The DX7 was unique in the early 80s, it's simply not today unless you're willing to program it. Previous poster is right, it's one of those synths for which the vast majority of users just used prestes and, really, exclusively used presets.

I think that there is a big difference between talking about a synth vs a product. Even in the 80s, the DX7 WAS overestimated as a synth. The belief that it could recreate any sound, in theory, simply didn't hold up in practice. It would have been a much better synth with analog filters, although, that would most likely have limited its success as a product.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

ghettosynth wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:So basically everything that's become a legend, sold a lot of copies and got used on a zillion records. Right.

Wrong!
None of that has anything to do with overestimated. The DX7 was unique in the early 80s, it's simply not today unless you're willing to program it. Previous poster is right, it's one of those synths for which the vast majority of users just used prestes and, really, exclusively used presets.

I think that there is a big difference between talking about a synth vs a product. Even in the 80s, the DX7 WAS overestimated as a synth. The belief that it could recreate any sound, in theory, simply didn't hold up in practice. It would have been a much better synth with analog filters, although, that would most likely have limited its success as a product.

Return to “Instruments”