Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And besides the stepped arpeggiator, if the powerful analog sound can be further improved that will be my top request for Diva 2

Soarer wrote:And besides the stepped arpeggiator, if the powerful analog sound can be further improved that will be my top request for Diva 2
I still think Diva sounds extremely close to our reference hardware. We'll certainly do faster envelopes and wider cutoff ranges, probably in form of options.

After all we are talking about vintage analogue hardware. The difference of maximum Attack in our two Pro-Ones is something like 10 seconds vs. almost 2 minutes.

I'm slowly moving my stance on such emulations from "accuracy" to "interpretation", like we did in the Uhbie filter or the "driven" preset in Repro's filter models. I think that, given there is no "perfect" specimen of any brand of synth, I'd rather do one that sounds best within the boundaries of the underlying model. Doesn't mean it should sound "off", just means it should sound "cooked to perfection". If the result is a better sounding synth, then f accuracy.

Sounds good to me :)

Urs wrote:I'm slowly moving my stance on such emulations from "accuracy" to "interpretation", like we did in the Uhbie filter or the "driven" preset in Repro's filter models. I think that, given there is no "perfect" specimen of any brand of synth, I'd rather do one that sounds best within the boundaries of the underlying model. Doesn't mean it should sound "off", just means it should sound "cooked to perfection". If the result is a better sounding synth, then f accuracy.
:party: :tu:

I for one would love to see Diva evolving into something even more unique, flexible.. and Iconoclast. I absolutely love her sound-palette and versatility, and treat her as a lovely semi-modular, that's her biggest strength IMHO. i.e. Something similar to Zebra's Perform page would be fantastic, both for sound-design and performance (would be an incredible addition to Bazille as well).
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Soarer wrote:Sounds good to me :)
A BIG +1 :)

What about a MKS-70/JX8P/JX10P? I know you guys said you can't do a PCM synth, but those big analog synths might be something you guys could model.

Or the JX-3P. That was a sibling to the Juno with two DCO's, though it had the same filters and envelopes. Maybe it wouldn't be as difficult for you guys :).

Shiek927 wrote:Maybe it wouldn't be as difficult for you guys :).
I'd prefer something difficult.

To be honest, I don't see the benefit of more Roland analogue polysynths for emulations. The differences in sound are not overly big, they all share a common feature set and philosophy with either one or two oscillators. So I'd much rather go for different oscillator layouts and filter topologies. Stuff that brings something new to the table. Maybe a Buchla-inspired dual oscillator and a diode filter.

Urs wrote: If the result is a better sounding synth, then f accuracy.
*BOOM* Words of wisdom !
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yeah, f accuracy, gimme polyphony :)

My request for Diva 2 would be don't make Diva 2 but rather keep creating bespoke individual models such as Repro 1/5

I'd happily pay for that.

Add stuff to Diva, sure.....but it really doesn't need a follow up plugin.

I don't understand people's complaints about Diva not being bright enough. I don't think I've ever written a patch where I had the filter opened all the way up. If I need Diva to sound brighter, I open the filter more. It's plenty bright that way. Are a lot of you writing patches where you like the filter to be all the way opened, and it's still not bright enough for you?

rosschehayeb wrote:I don't understand people's complaints about Diva not being bright enough. I don't think I've ever written a patch where I had the filter opened all the way up. If I need Diva to sound brighter, I open the filter more. It's plenty bright that way. Are a lot of you writing patches where you like the filter to be all the way opened, and it's still not bright enough for you?
I think the same. But if I compare to presets in Massive or Sylenth to Diva, they "scream" like hell (which I usually don't like and I have to turn them down). On the other hand, Diva is not my first choice when going for screaming loud aggressive leads.

I guess this is just a matter of taste.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

rosschehayeb wrote:I don't understand people's complaints about Diva not being bright enough. I don't think I've ever written a patch where I had the filter opened all the way up. If I need Diva to sound brighter, I open the filter more. It's plenty bright that way. Are a lot of you writing patches where you like the filter to be all the way opened, and it's still not bright enough for you?

I think its the other way round. Some ppl thought it was too bright...

Urs wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:Maybe it wouldn't be as difficult for you guys :).
I'd prefer something difficult.

To be honest, I don't see the benefit of more Roland analogue polysynths for emulations. The differences in sound are not overly big, they all share a common feature set and philosophy with either one or two oscillators. So I'd much rather go for different oscillator layouts and filter topologies. Stuff that brings something new to the table. Maybe a Buchla-inspired dual oscillator and a diode filter.
How about something like the Steiner Parker Synthacon filter ?

One of the most chaotic , complex & raw sounding filters out there . Never heard anything close in software . If anyone could do it , U-he could.....:)

brick wrote:How about something like the Steiner Parker Synthacon filter ?
I've indeed been toying with a model of this. I would at one point need to have access to an original unit to verify that it's captured, I'm not sure a FrequenSteiner or a Minibrute will be sufficient.

Anyhow, there's another similar filter which I might go for, but it's a novel design. Probably more so for Zebra than for Diva.

Return to “u-he”