Does the skin editor 'll be back?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had maid a request on the v5or6 and Tracktion team have answered positively.
So same request here but this time for Waveform :)

No, the way colours and UI are created these days is too complex to offer a colour editor (there's a lot done programmatically in code) and we often have to change the specified colours when we make changes to UI or add features etc. When this happens, any existing colour schemes or UI will be broken. We've also updated the UI every year which means all existing schemes either won't work at all of will be in a 'broken' state.

Because of this, it's unpractical to add a colour editor. However, we are amenable to colour scheme suggestions. We did provide a few to start with including dark/light/greyscale schemes. Is there something in particular you're missing?

dRowAudio wrote:No, the way colours and UI are created these days is too complex to offer a colour editor (there's a lot done programmatically in code) and we often have to change the specified colours when we make changes to UI or add features etc. When this happens, any existing colour schemes or UI will be broken. We've also updated the UI every year which means all existing schemes either won't work at all of will be in a 'broken' state.

Because of this, it's unpractical to add a colour editor. However, we are amenable to colour scheme suggestions. We did provide a few to start with including dark/light/greyscale schemes. Is there something in particular you're missing?

Well, for me, the only color scheme that I can use is the light one. It's better than T7's 'daylight' scheme.

But, I find the black panels for the browser and the plugin page not suitable to that scheme! :(

I didn't care much for the default colours at first. I liked the T7 low contrast colour scheme better. But now I think I actually prefer the default scheme.

IMO, the current pallet colors are garishly bright and saturated. If I don't need to highlight something, gray is my preferred color for clip and track backgrounds, and not everything needs to be highlighted. I would prefer much more subtle colors when I did want to highlight a track or clip.

I have been begging for something very simple since 5.

- For each of the user color selection pallets, add a light gray and a dark gray.

- Add the ability to set the saturation and brightness of the pallets. That way MIDI clips could be easily distinguished from audio clips, step clips, and edit clips. This would not require a full blown editor, just something like the following.

Track background saturation <--------------->
Track background brightness <--------------->
MIDI clips saturation <--------------->
MIDI clips brightness <--------------->
Audio clips saturation <--------------->
Audio clips brightness <--------------->
Edit clips saturation <--------------->
Edit clips brightness <--------------->
Step clips saturation <--------------->
Step clips brightness <--------------->
External Controller saturation <--------------->
External Controller brightness <--------------->

It's not the interface colors that are the problem it is the colors in the pallets. If you want to go crazy with it, allow the user to select the colors in their pallets.

First of all Thank you for the answer! :)

Ok i understand if it's harcoded now.

I am happy with the light theme (the only one i can use) but like "zxant" i would prefer a grey background with black font for browser and background cause this one is a mix of both and usually guys are black or light only.

Am on the light side padawan :p so for us user of the light skin yep a grey background and black font would be better.

May i suggest like rock, a "slider button" for the entire interface to set saturation, contrast, and brightness.

Some others light themes would be great sure there's only one and all others have white font.

A dark grey for the night sessions (black font on dark grey) per eg.

Hope my english is not too much horrible.

I can make somes skins on t6 if you want to implement them.(already have some)
If ok i 'll do one from scratch for the dark grey.

It isn't hard-coded; there are eight choices in Waveform.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:It isn't hard-coded; there are eight choices in Waveform.

And they're all not entirely satisfactory :(

@dRowAudio

Wouldn't it be possible to just read values in from a text file?
There's no need to get fancy here. It doesn't matter how complicated
or technical it is, people will figure it out. They will make the themes
available to those that are unable or unwilling to do it. If it gets broken,
people will just wait until the next version becomes available and make
another.

Thats the way its been done for thousands of years...

Have you ever tried to make a theme for Ableton Live? It couldn't
possibly be any worse than that.

-Cheers

zxant wrote:

And ....
dRowAudio wrote: (the devs) are amenable to colour scheme suggestions. We did provide a few to start with including dark/light/greyscale schemes. Is there something in particular you're missing?
So ...?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote:
zxant wrote:

And ....
dRowAudio wrote: (the devs) are amenable to colour scheme suggestions. We did provide a few to start with including dark/light/greyscale schemes. Is there something in particular you're missing?
So ...?
zxant wrote:Well, for me, the only color scheme that I can use is the light one. It's better than T7's 'daylight' scheme.

But, I find the black panels for the browser and the plugin page not suitable to that scheme! :(
^^^ This ^^^
Simon Posford wrote:I am happy with the light theme (the only one i can use) but like "zxant" i would prefer a grey background with black font for browser and background cause this one is a mix of both and usually guys are black or light only.

Am on the light side padawan :p so for us user of the light skin yep a grey background and black font would be better.
and ^^^ This ^^^

Well, I gotta say, the developers attitude towards the color theme situation "seems" fairly poor
and inflexible. Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that some kind of compromise couldn't be
found, if there was an interest in such.

-Cheers

There is. Tell them what you'd like as a colour scheme, and they'll try to accomodate you, if they can. They already said that. That's what a compromise is. A compromise isn't "Oh, just let us change it from a text file", that's the same feature request, but without a gui.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Well, there were some suggestions made in this thread (no black panels with white on black text in light scheme), but sofar Dave 'dRowAudio' hasn't responded yet :(

I always loved the pastel colored GUI's of T4 thru T6 and very much wish such a scheme would be available in W8! :pray:

zxant wrote: 
Well, there were some suggestions made in this thread (no black panels with white on black text in light scheme), but sofar Dave 'dRowAudio' hasn't responded yet :(

I always loved the pastel colored GUI's of T4 thru T6 and very much wish such a scheme would be available in W8! :pray:
So how about sending them a colour scheme from when there was a colour editor or from when there was one you liked, and ask for something similar?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Tracktion”