Blackmagic Design integrates Fairlight into DaVinci Resolve 14!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks nice.

I'm a Vegas guy and have never tried Resolve. I did have occasion to edit with the FCP demo recently and was very highly impressed with the workflow once I got a grip on it. Seems a bargain at $300.

It's **really** hard to leave the audio editing and audio features of Vegas in a video editor though once you get used to having it, which is fundamentally a real pro audio workstation underneath, but the Resolve stuff seems to be close to that on the audio side with the new audio bits.

Curious their new audio system doesn't appear to have any settings related audio interface buffers or anything like that. Of course no ASIO, either. Overall, the audio doesn't appear to be working that great for me, even when trying to use simple wav-files on the audio tracks. Well, maybe later...

Interestingly, video from .mts/AVCHD files I have from my Sony camcorder does now appear to work. (I think the audio from those doesn't work due to audio codec licensing issues.)

Xenakios wrote:Curious their new audio system doesn't appear to have any settings related audio interface buffers or anything like that. Of course no ASIO, either. Overall, the audio doesn't appear to be working that great for me, even when trying to use simple wav-files on the audio tracks. Well, maybe later...
Yeah I guess it's real early days (it is Beta 1 after all) for Resolve audio-wise. I also see the application as being a non-real-time-post-production editor to put together already recorded a/v files so things like ASIO, buffers and all that not really under the remit of what Resolve needs to worry about

LawrenceF wrote:Looks nice.

I'm a Vegas guy and have never tried Resolve. I did have occasion to edit with the FCP demo recently and was very highly impressed with the workflow once I got a grip on it. Seems a bargain at $300.

It's **really** hard to leave the audio editing and audio features of Vegas in a video editor though once you get used to having it, which is fundamentally a real pro audio workstation underneath, but the Resolve stuff seems to be close to that on the audio side with the new audio bits.
I was gonna ask the same (what is the closest vid editor to Vegas in terms of giving audio an equal footing)?

Premiere Pro, FCP, and the Magix one fall woefully short. Digital audio and video are both just 0s and 1s at the end of the day (and the beginning/middle too :o ).

The problem with Resolve is that it just doesn't work at all on Intel graphic cards. Just crashes, each version.
It's not compatible (CUDA stuff or something...) :?

Winstontaneous wrote:I was gonna ask the same (what is the closest vid editor to Vegas in terms of giving audio an equal footing)?
No idea. The audio side of Vegas is a pretty high bar for a video NLE given that it started out life as an audio editor and only added video later when it turned into "Vegas Video".

I haven't really looked, but I doubt if Sony's new line of NLE's will even go there, with audio tracks.

LawrenceF wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:I was gonna ask the same (what is the closest vid editor to Vegas in terms of giving audio an equal footing)?
No idea. The audio side of Vegas is a pretty high bar for a video NLE given that it started out life as an audio editor and only added video later when it turned into "Vegas Video".

I haven't really looked, but I doubt if Sony's new line of NLE's will even go there, with audio tracks.
Reaper is the only Video editor of i know that matches/betters Vegas audio capabilities, but it is not that great for Video in terms of effects and such.
Duh

Xenakios wrote:Curious their new audio system doesn't appear to have any settings related audio interface buffers or anything like that. Of course no ASIO, either. Overall, the audio doesn't appear to be working that great for me, even when trying to use simple wav-files on the audio tracks. Well, maybe later...

Interestingly, video from .mts/AVCHD files I have from my Sony camcorder does now appear to work. (I think the audio from those doesn't work due to audio codec licensing issues.)
I haven't had chance to install it yet, does it not have the Fairlight ASIOBridge ?
Duh

LawrenceF wrote:I haven't really looked, but I doubt if Sony's new line of NLE's will even go there, with audio tracks.
Am I right in thinking all their editing software is now owned (or at least distributed) through MAGIX ?

No, they sold all the ex Sonic Foundry stuff to Magix, they have in house developed NLE that they still own.
Duh

Yeah. My guess is that they felt a business need to go cross platform and porting Vegas to OS X is likely no small task, so they made a entirely new product.

I can't think of any other good reason why they'd sell such a great product and just start over, except maybe trying to break into the OS X market.

bungle wrote:No, they sold all the ex Sonic Foundry stuff to Magix, they have in house developed NLE that they still own.
I dunno, looks like after Sony Vegas Pro 13 is Magix Vegas Pro 14 - http://www.geekazine.com/podcast/magix- ... as-pro-13/

Catalyst is the remaining title that Sony are selling. OSX and Windows.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalyst
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”