Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

jobinho wrote:Can someone help me with saving patches. Currently I save it under 'save preset' and give it a new name, then I'll load up that preset and it will be named whatever the patch was previously called so you have edit the name in largo 1st, thus naming it twice! Inside the browser then when saving the file. I'm using the latest Live in OSX.

Such workflow killer unless there's a faster way? Thanks!
Yes you have to name it in the plugin too and you have to give a name for the file too. You could try copy and paste from the name you gave in the plugin.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Any chance for larger GUI?

I never liked the sound of this synth

phace wrote:I never liked the sound of this synth
Nonbeliever. :P

chk071 wrote:
phace wrote:I never liked the sound of this synth
Nonbeliever. :P
the filters are good but I didn't like its overall character, I'm thinking about plucks and lead sounds though.. maybe it's decent for ambient pads or something

Fair enough, each to his like. :) For me, it's the best soft synth i've ever heard.

i like the synth like i do all their stuff. but i agree there is something lacking in the sound, largo sounds a bit thin. their wavemapper and phonem synths are awesome though.
i have yet to try nave.

inkwarp wrote:i like the synth like i do all their stuff. but i agree there is something lacking in the sound, largo sounds a bit thin.
Interesting. I think it has one of the thickest sound in soft synth land. Anyway, don't want to enter the thin ice of subjectivity and perception. :)

Which synth would you rather describe as thick or fat though?

It has its own character and that is no so common in plug in land.
dedication to flying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwz-Acjp1iE

these presets are pretty amazing though :D

inkwarp wrote:i like the synth like i do all their stuff. but i agree there is something lacking in the sound, largo sounds a bit thin. their wavemapper and phonem synths are awesome though.
i have yet to try nave.
Wavegenerator, Wavemapper 2 and Phonem are products from PPG (and Wolfgang Palm) and not directly related to Waldorf. Waldorf is not involved with the PPG plugins at all.

Anyway Wolfgang Palm was one of the beta testers for Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V and also created content like new wavetables and presets there. Of course as the creator of the PPG Wave hardware synths he also was a consultant, together with the hardware PPG Wave "guru" Hermann Seib. The original plugin programming/development was done by Wolfram Franke and Stefan Stenzel from Waldorf (Wolfram left Waldorf some years ago).
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

i stand corrected : )
don't misunderstand me btw, i love largo. it just doesn't have some "oomph" , a little quiet somehow?
hard to explain. all a matter of taste i suppose...
it's surprising to learn that wolfgang isn't involved in the PPG...

inkwarp wrote:i stand corrected : )
don't misunderstand me btw, i love largo. it just doesn't have some "oomph" , a little quiet somehow?
hard to explain. all a matter of taste i suppose...
it's surprising to learn that wolfgang isn't involved in the PPG...
For increased low end there are multiple options in Largo. Three are the "Bass boost" switch, the built-in EQ and the Filter Drive (my favorite is the Tube mode).
The filters are digital filters and not modelled on analog filters. The Blofeld additionally also includes a "PPG" filter mode (also found in the Q ans MicroQ synths) that i like which has a different resonance behavior to the standard 24dB LPF.

Overall Largo offers tons of options for sound design which is also true for the Blofeld of course.
It is the only Waldorf plugin that offers Comb filters, Notch filters, dual multimode filters with routing for the Oscs, Osc Sync and FM.
For all 3 Oscillators and both filters you could use all 3 main Oscs and the Noise source as FM sources.
That way an oscillator could even do FM with itself (aka "FM feedback").

With the Unison (up to 6 voices) and teh included stereo spread you could eaily do "big" and/or "fat" sounds, even more when using all 4 layers. 4 layers would already mean 12 main Oscs + 8 Sub-Oscs + up to 8 multimode filters, not speaking about adding Unison.

Anyway besides all that PPG Wave 3.V is my most used Waldorf plugin (and one of my most used synths overall) for which i made tons of patches (around 250+) including a commercial bank.
As PPG 3.V could do sample playback from WAV files it could also do sounds that are not possible when the synth is programmed from scratch using the wavetables. I even got samples of a Virus TI Hypersaw loaded into it.
My commercial soundset includes lots of samples craeated from multiple different synths. Some samples were done playing synth patches or other samples trough the Waldorf Lector vocoder and then recording/rendering the result.
Ingo Weidner

What about GUI...any plans for making it bigger and more suitable for HD screens?

Big enough for me.

Return to “Instruments”