Next Propellerhead Reason upgrade (9.5) to include VST support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

ezelkow1 wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:What about vst's that support drag n drop?
On reasontalk someone reported midi drag n drop was working fine for them
Wow! I'm in

Hmm... should i just buy Reason Essentials for the fun of it? I'd have a full VST rack in it then. :P

chk071 wrote:Hmm... should i just buy Reason Essentials for the fun of it? I'd have a full VST rack in it then. :P
You get the full version of NNXT sampler plus a lot of other included goodies.

I say go for it.

It's tempting. There's a couple of things missing, but, if you can just load your VST arpeggiator, for example, those things are easily made accessible. Question is just if i need it, hehe.

EvilDragon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Exactly, I would also not like this to happen. I want to be able to edit where the cursor stops, not having it jump to start without me telling it to.
When you're recording multiple takes it is extremely annoying having to press stop twice to go back where you've been.
Didn't you say a few posts ago that you're not really a Reason user? I feel that your sense of what is "extremely annoying" is blown out of proportion by your inexperience. It's not at all to me.

This just strikes me as one of those problems that doesn't really need solving just because some people are loud about their preference. I love Reaper, but one of the things that's annoying about it is the number of preferences that one has to navigate in order to get to things that are more basic. The last thing that I would want for Reason is to have it start to look like Reaper in this sense.

There are so many good refills around for Reason.

The main reason I upgraded from Reason Essentials to Reason was that on average few combinators in the refills work in Essentials.

chk071 wrote:It's tempting. There's a couple of things missing, but, if you can just load your VST arpeggiator, for example, those things are easily made accessible. Question is just if i need it, hehe.
Matthias (or one of the props) did say on rtalk that vst midi effects will not be supported in the first go around on this

So id temper any expectations on midi routing between vsts and such. It does seem like at least there is support for multi-audio in/out, and midi/cv in to vsts though

Aw, that's a shame... good thing you mention it though, i guess i'll rather pass for now then.

chk071 wrote:It's tempting. There's a couple of things missing, but, if you can just load your VST arpeggiator, for example, those things are easily made accessible. Question is just if i need it, hehe.
What I really like about Reason is sketching with Blocks. I don't think that anyone else has navigated the pattern/linear aspect of contemporary electronic music quite so well. It's small subtle things, but I find that I'm extremely fast on Reason in terms of starting out with a pattern oriented structure and moving that into a linear format. Other DAWs take me into different ways of thinking. In particular, I find it much more annoying to move back and forth between the two approaches in Live. Laying out a track by painting with Blocks just works for me. There are some features that I'd really like to have on that front and, frankly, that's really where I would like to see development. For example, unless I'm missing something you still can't select a region, right click, and "create new block from selection." That would be awesome because the value of Blocks is in moving back and forth between Blocks and linear modes quickly.

For me, that's where reason really shines. There are little details that I like, but I'm not a big fan of the giant analog mixer view nor do I prefer cabling when things get too complicated, it just gets busy and hard to navigate. That said, those aspects of it are fairly open and I do appreciate that fact from time to time. For example, I have a vocal rider like combinator that works fairly well for me. It would be possible in MUX, but I think that it would be a pain to setup in Reaper. It was really fast in Reason.

My point being that evaluating need is a tricky thing. I'm very excited about this TBH, because I prefer using reason for writing beat oriented music which is something that I haven't been doing lately because when I open Reaper or Cubase I just move in a different direction. So, for me, need is not too strong at all. I wouldn't buy it, however, if I wasn't going to use the sequencer for at least some of my work.

I really wish that they would host VSTs in rewire mode, that would make it quite a bit more useful.

My wife uses Reason, and she has the Korg M1 and Wavestation VST's that, up until now, she has used standalone, playing them in realtime.

She is quite pleased that she will now be able to use these two applications within Reason.
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

This is great news and I prefer the play cursor to stay where it stops.

C-note wrote:This is great news and I prefer the play cursor to stay where it stops.
What if there could be an option that users could select the play cursor to either stay where it stops, or to go back to where it came from?

Anosou wrote:
johnppp wrote:Hi Anosou, can you confirm that the VST's will still work when Reason is in rewire slave mode?
Afraid not! When in ReWire slave mode, VSTs are not enabled. Similar to how it is in Ableton Live.
I stopped updating at 2.5, haven't touched Reason in years. Other DAW developers have figured out how to host VSTs in slave mode, this opens up ReWire to be actually useful for DAWs hosting VSTs. Now that Reason hosts VSTs anyone working in Reason will run into the same ReWire limitation that Ableton Live has. Losing VST support in ReWire mode makes ReWire completely useless for what I would consider it's most useful feature, I'm working in Live, but I want to use Digital Performer, Logic etc. for some feature it has that Live does not, without the ability to host VSTs you end up wasting time using ReWire.

Rewire could be the solution that actually gets you more sales, if you implement it with the ability to host VSTs in Slave mode, without that I see no reason to ad a Reason upgrade to my DAW upkeep program. I run Digital Performer, soon upgrading Logic for older songs, and Live. If Reason was able to host VSTs in slave mode, then it would instantly jump to the front of the pack, since any song I started in any other DAW would be able to be worked on Rewired into Reason. As it stands it's not any better than it was before at playing well with others, in fact it makes it worse, since if you use VSTs it makes Rewire a pain.

I've often lamented the fact that ReWire was tied to a single Developer, since it seems that having both the slave and master in ReWire is difficult and not implemented by many. ReWire could be great if both DAWs can host VST, using DAWs side by side with no limitations, it's pretty sad to see the developer of ReWire also continue this limitation from 20 years ago..

So. I've been playing around with Reason whole night. I dont normally use loops, but now I tried if some loops would fit to my beat. And what, there is no "browser preview sync to project"...?!? I can't sync my loops to my beat? Is this real? in 2017? O.o

My first DAW was Reason, but as I cut my teeth with VST vs. RE, I moved on.

Now with VST, they are moving forward in a good way. Please take the ReWire tech you developed, and enable Reason to leverage it's full capability and/or extend the ReWire tech more. Just like Ableton Link, the industry will quickly adopt and leverage great tech. You have that opportunity.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”