K Brown Synth Bundle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will do, thanks

kevin brown wrote:Yes - Dropbox shut me down twice due to heavy traffic, so I moved all the files over to Sync.com.

https://ln.sync.com/dl/3e98951a0/n5wwiu ... j-htz7j7dr

All the links on my KVR listings have also been changed.
Great! Thank you! I am going to check out the links tonight! :tu:

Is it correct that there is always only one working preset in every plugin? Maybe I overlooked something. Well I could understand if making presets is a lot of work besides all this work to create the plugins. But I'm a preset guy when it comes to check out the sound of a plugin...

On the vast majority, yes only an 'INIT' or 'FirstSound'. On some of the more recent ones there are three or four. My own musical taste runs along Eno/Aphex Twin - any presets I'd be likely to make would have very limited appeal and not show off the synths the way most would expect to hear. What little time I have to spend on these is used for corrections / bug fixes / improvements.

Ok, Kevin. Thank you for explaining. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and over all taking the time and efforts to create these very interesting plugins. But as I already said, I'm more a preset type of a guy and especially when it comes to compare new plugins e.g. your plugins to my existing plugins, I am directed to at least some basic presets to be able to compare the sound just to know if you have only created lots of really fancy guis (and in most cases you have ;) ) or if your synths can really compete or even outplay some of my other stuff sound wise. :)

Soman wrote: just to know if you have only created lots of really fancy guis (and in most cases you have ;) ) or if your synths can really compete or even outplay some of my other stuff sound wise. :)
Of course not. It's all about the guis (+ inner architecture)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Exactly this.

These synths were originally built just for myself, to get a rough idea what working with some of these vintage, rare, now unaffordably expensive hardware synths was like - what could one do with the particular feature-set of synth X or Y? I knew that anything knocked together with Synthmaker building-blocks and spat out by the shitty sound card in my laptop was not going to sound anything like them. For instance it always intrigued me what the possibilities were with the limited resources of the EMS VCS3, given that flexible little pin matrix. But how many of us will every have the chance to play with one? Build it in Synthmaker and you can get a pretty good idea for free.

So these were always about exploring the architecture and specific control resources of a given vintage synth (which in the vast majority of cases I will never have an opportunity to get anywhere near); just playing someone else's presets tells you almost nothing about that - you've got to actually use it, not just play it. These will only be of interest to those who want to explore the 'guts' of what makes a synth tick.

kevin brown wrote:Exactly this.

These synths were originally built just for myself, to get a rough idea what working with some of these vintage, rare, now unaffordably expensive hardware synths was like - what could one do with the particular feature-set of synth X or Y? I knew that anything knocked together with Synthmaker building-blocks and spat out by the shitty sound card in my laptop was not going to sound anything like them. For instance it always intrigued me what the possibilities were with the limited resources of the EMS VCS3, given that flexible little pin matrix. But how many of us will every have the chance to play with one? Build it in Synthmaker and you can get a pretty good idea for free.

So these were always about exploring the architecture and specific control resources of a given vintage synth (which in the vast majority of cases I will never have an opportunity to get anywhere near); just playing someone else's presets tells you almost nothing about that - you've got to actually use it, not just play it. These will only be of interest to those who want to explore the 'guts' of what makes a synth tick.
+100. :tu: :clap:
:tu: All is good

Very interesting intention and opinion. I understand now. :) So should I need to explore and learn programming a specific vintage synth technically, I can always come to your plugins and use them as a virtual learning resource. Very nice. Thank you for all that.

I think the SH-12 sounds fantastic and very much like an SH2

That's good to hear - last time I actually heard an SH-2 was when I had a brief encounter 45 years ago!

As to the previous topic of these not sounding like the associated hardware, I just stumbled on this quote from Jean-Michel Jarre in an interview with Electronic Musician magazine; says it very well:
"It's always a mistake, I think to compare the emulation of a synth with the real one, because by definition they can't sound the same. But it's great for someone without the original to get the feel of the approach, the concept of the synth, even when the result will be different in terms of sound."

I actually had a proper go with the SH2 plugout from Roland and The SH12...(haven't touched a hardware SH2 in years)

I now see how off the mark they actually are. The oscillators and envelopes are close enough but the resonance and filter cutoff are night and day.

It's understandable as SM is a severely restricted platform. I dont expect emulations, or even close.

I still appreciate the work put in. The GUI's are beautiful.

Yes, filters are where custom-coded modules really makes a big difference; it's also where the biggest difference between hardware and plugins in general lies, I think.

Update:

Matrix-Six1p has had it's oscillators updated to more closer function like their inspiration, u-he's Podolski. Also a few refinements and fixes to both it and Matrix-Six1.

kevin brown wrote:Update:

Matrix-Six1p has had it's oscillators updated to more closer function like their inspiration, u-he's Podolski. Also a few refinements and fixes to both it and Matrix-Six1.
Matrix-Six1p is sounding a sinewave at the same pitch no matter what parameter is changed. (FL Studio 12.4 / Windows 10)
:tu: All is good

Return to “Instruments”