Xhun Audio LittleOne : version 4.x Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LittleOne

hi bruno,
xhunaudio wrote:It is better to have a full installer or a much simpler folder with a few files to copy/paste into your system's plugins folder ?
since a lot of developers offer both variants, I'd say go that route.
if you really need just one location to put files into, I'd prefer that, of course, but if resources like presets have to go elsewhere I'd rather have an installer doing it. please keep in mind that - whatever installer you might choose - it should be able to detect and upgrade an existing installation, unlike the one that comes with LO2.

(and, yes, I already mentioned that before ;) )

Hello Bruno,

A simple copy/paste is obviously the best method for VST plugins.

Not only the things are perfectly clear... but it also prevent any issue in the installer itself (missing files, mistakes in declaration of target folders, etc). And in addition it allows a simple move from a folder to another in the case where the user wants to reorganize his folders. And last argument: it prevent any orphan entry in the list of "Windows installed applications" in case of transfer to another folder or in case of issue with one of the files.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

The copy protection is something non-intrusive, I reserve great care to that aspect. It is transparent, offline, quite* portable.

*My thoughts:
I'm not a fan of full, *extreme* freedom/portability regarding plugins, they are binaries and have to be in their proper folder and not elsewhere, in the documents folder, in the win32 folder, in the recycle bin... The VST standard only recently has become more restrictive (on par with audio units, aax, rtas) and it is a good thing. Today, many host developers too 100% agreed with this approach (and I think it is good) not only for AU, VST3 but also for VST2.

I was writing the documentation and the installer method seemed the simplest - at the beginning. Then, while writing the installation procedure I noticed that for any aspect, that method would result far more intricate than a simple "files drag an drop" (specially in case of a simple update). Obviously I'll give the end-user a highly detailed document about where exactly the files have to be placed (and where not :)).

And the simple "drag and drop" never leads to (*very* sporadic) occasional malfunctioning with automatic "uninstall" procedures, as kylie stated.

LittleOne version 3.0 involves a few files to copy. Instead the previous versions of the software were composed of a bigger fileset and so I believed the installer *was* the right choise.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Hey xhun, can we get a quick update on what's new with LO3?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Hey xhun, can we get a quick update on what's new with LO3?
Hi touch, :)

I made a quite deep overview of the software starting from last Summer (2016) on social media :

https://www.facebook.com/XhunAudio

There are about 14 posts describing ery single section of the synthesizer, the extension panel (new!) and the rack.

This posts / infos have been reported also on this same thread at Kvraudio, in the previous pages.

If you want, here's a copy/paste of some of the features from the list on product's page (not "live" yet, it will be soon) :

Analogue modeling simulation of real analogue hardware, achieved by the adoption of the Advanced Component Simulation (ACS) approach - oscillators, filters, envelopes (,...) are built preserving their original architecture, featuring all the micro-instabilities and imperfections of the analogue technology

Full 64-bit processing accuracy for every single aspect of the simulation

An all-in-one complete analogue synthesizer + sequencer + trancegate + rack effects setup

Two aliasing-free analogue modeled oscillators proving the same capacitors' charging/discharging responses as found on the original analogue circuits, with a continuous wave selection (morphing) mode between triangle, sawtooth, square, pulse

A 4-pole resonant low pass ladder filter (modeled by the adoption of the topology-preserving transform / zero-delay feedback approach) proving all the original non-linearities, frequency responses (also at extreme modulation scenarios), self-oscillation, soft-clipping and overload control

Two 4-stage (ADSR) envelope generators proving the same capacitors' charging/discharging responses as found on the original analogue circuits

Extended modulation possibilities, including a white noise generator, a sample-and-hold source and a multi-waveform low-frequency-oscillator (LFO) featuring the original frequency range (from 0.2 Hz up to 500 Hz), allowing for advanced frequency modulation designs

True analogue polyphony. In addition to a classic monophonic mode, polyphony (4-voices) is achieved by simulating four fully-independent synthesis systems (devices) separately, as expected in the original hardware specification extension. Each of the four independent voices (devices) can also be tuned/detuned separately for an even more deep and rich polyphonic sound

Analogue components selector. Choose what kind of components to use inside LittleOne : select ultra-stable components, phase-locked oscillators (like in most recent analogue synthesizers) or select aged, much more unstable components and disable the phase-lock of the main oscillators

Accede all the advanced features like the alternative modulation sources/destinations, set the velocity to control the filter cutoff, extend the pitch bend range, select the MIDI input channel and much more - all from the operating system led display

Including XSQ16A unit (rack), a monophonic 16-step analogue sequencer

Including GAT3D unit (rack), a 16-step trancegate effect

Including two insert/master effects slots with the possibility to choose :

X-TREME unit (rack), an accurately modeled, ground-shaking tube distortion effect

FLANG-R unit (rack), an expressive stereo flanger effect

CHOR-S unit (rack), an expressive stereo chorus effect

D-LAY unit (rack), a tempo-synced stereo delay effect

REEVERB unit (rack), a resonator-based electronic reverb effect

Including a huge 400+ ready-to-use factory presets collection covering all styles, from vintage analogue leads and basses to frequency modulation sequences, contemporary cutting-edge electronic motion pads, trance stabs, complex psychoacoustic constructions, percussive and special sound effects. All the original Little Phatty factory patches (Stage Edition and Tribute Edition) are also included

Additional presets/patches available as commercial expansions

Full MIDI automation with CC# mapping (according to the original Little Phatty¹ MIDI CC# specs)

Supported sample rates from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz

I'd lean more towards the simple copy/paste installation, but either one is fine with me.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:I'd lean more towards the simple copy/paste installation, but either one is fine with me.
Yes, from your words here and on the other thread I mentioned before, I decided to go for the "manual installation". Things are 100 times much simpler, specially when performing a simple product update, which could be a mess using the installers. Yesterday I wrote a step-by-step tutorial on how to "manually install/update" LittleOne and it resulted MUCH simpler than the tutorial using the installer.

Sometimes to deeply understand something, it is necessary to watch it at *slow motion*, as it happens when writing something...

So I can say I found the best compromise so far, and that is also what people chose in the poll and said on this thread.

hooray for bruno!

and now: shrinkwrap and release it :)

kylie wrote:hooray for bruno!

and now: shrinkwrap and release it :)
eheh, thank you :hug:
Just a few days of wait, I need time to complete the installation tutorials, packages, etc...

nice to see the announcement is out. 5th of may, eh? :hyper:

kylie wrote:nice to see the announcement is out. 5th of may, eh? :hyper:
Finally... :wink:

ALMOST THERE...

A well-behaved signature.

Very soon... the First of May!

And for those who still wonder: "Did they? Didn't they?"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9nsF7Tl_P0

... now we can clearly answer: "They did !"

ImageImageImageImage

But now... a new question comes up: "Did they a Little One ?"
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”