Minimoog Softsynth Shootout: Diva MiniV3 Monark Legend Minimonsta vs Model D

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Mini V4 Minimonsta Monark The Legend

Ingonator wrote: Anyway one synth i would really look forward to be emulated is the Alesis Andromeda A6. :hyper: :hug:
Yeah, definitely. Although it almost sounds like a VA. :D
DuX wrote: Thanks Ingo for your wonderful posts! :tu: Not that you said something I didn't know, but it feels nice reading about it. :tu: I like your "teh"! :D
Hehe, yeah, happens quite frequently in his posts. :)

chk071 wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Anyway one synth i would really look forward to be emulated is the Alesis Andromeda A6. :hyper: :hug:
At least there was a beautiful 3rd party lib for Alchemy back then and still available also for Cakewalk Rapture & Dimension (full and LE versions)

http://elementalarts-studios.com/memories
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Richard_Synapse wrote:
AnX wrote:Hopefully not. Obies sound dull as f**k to me. I've never understood the fascination. Personally, i'd like something else. Luckily, my opinion counts for nothing, so dont get ya panties in a knot :wink:
Which ones did you try? Vintage Oberheims cover a wide range of different circuit topologies, some are full of Curtis (CEM) chips, usually with 24dB lowpass filters, while others like the SEM have "that" classic 12dB Oberheim state-variable filter inside (which I presume is what people associate with Oberheim sound, dunno though). I would expect most or all of the vintage models to sound very different from each other. So far the ones I have tried are all of the Curtis type, like the Matrix line, which I like soundwise.

Richard
I've owned Xpander, the OBXa, Matrix 6 and 1000 and while nice there is maybe too much overlap with other IC based synths, not to mention between them. FourVoice/EightVoice SEM architecture is unique however. Discreet components they use in those things also sound unique. Moreover the FourVoice is impossible to buy while the others are, well, still accessible. You can pick up the Xpander quite readily and I've even seen a few Matrix 12's here and there. In contrast I've tried to buy a FourVoice before but I've only ever seen them twice and both times they were snatched up faster than I could refresh the page.

In my opinion, and with the benefit of some experience now, the discreet component synths like the SEM just sound better. If someone could nail something like the legendary SEM it would really be something special. IC synths are a dime a dozen these days. Even in the vintage domain.

nevernamed wrote: I've owned Xpander, the OBXa, Matrix 6 and 1000 and while nice there is maybe too much overlap with other IC based synths, not to mention between them. FourVoice/EightVoice SEM architecture is unique however. Discreet components they use in those things also sound unique. Moreover the FourVoice is impossible to buy while the others are, well, still accessible. You can pick up the Xpander quite readily and I've even seen a few Matrix 12's here and there. In contrast I've tried to buy a FourVoice before but I've only ever seen them twice and both times they were snatched up faster than I could refresh the page.

In my opinion, and with the benefit of some experience now, the discreet component synths like the SEM just sound better. If someone could nail something like the legendary SEM it would really be something special. IC synths are a dime a dozen these days. Even in the vintage domain.
IMO anyway a huge portion of the Oberheim sound is the filters. There's a cream to them that I don't hear in Moog or Sequential etc. synths. Playing pads on the Oberheim Xpander just sounds to me better than Sequential etc.
I'll never get whey there hasn't been a solid cross platform Memorymoog emulation though. That's a truly unique sounding synth that's hard to upkeep or get ahold of a working version of.

machinesworking wrote:
nevernamed wrote: I've owned Xpander, the OBXa, Matrix 6 and 1000 and while nice there is maybe too much overlap with other IC based synths, not to mention between them. FourVoice/EightVoice SEM architecture is unique however. Discreet components they use in those things also sound unique. Moreover the FourVoice is impossible to buy while the others are, well, still accessible. You can pick up the Xpander quite readily and I've even seen a few Matrix 12's here and there. In contrast I've tried to buy a FourVoice before but I've only ever seen them twice and both times they were snatched up faster than I could refresh the page.

IMO anyway a huge portion of the Oberheim sound is the filters. There's a cream to them that I don't hear in Moog or Sequential etc. synths. Playing pads on the Oberheim Xpander just sounds to me better than Sequential etc.
I'll never get whey there hasn't been a solid cross platform Memorymoog emulation though. That's a truly unique sounding synth that's hard to upkeep or get ahold of a working version of.
Yeah the Memorymoog is another synth that's quite rare and has a unique sound.

machinesworking wrote:.........
Couldn't agree with you more.
Even Pre-uhbie filter Diva pads, once I switch the filter to the uhbie in those older patches, the magic begins to happen.
rsp
sound sculptist

the ob-xa was the ultimate Curtis synth. all the best curtis chips are in there. and thats the one I'd rather see emulated.
the ob-x and sems have a nice clean creamy 12 db, but lack of 24 db make them not very useful to me.

olikana wrote:the ob-xa was the ultimate Curtis synth. all the best curtis chips are in there. and thats the one I'd rather see emulated.
the ob-x and sems have a nice clean creamy 12 db, but lack of 24 db make them not very useful to me.
This is software, after all. Why not the 12dB from OB-X and the 24dB Curtis in one emulation? Best of both worlds. :)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm taking it step by step! First, I'm waiting for releasing what's there (RePro~5 from u-he and Dune 3 from SA). Then, I hope there is an Oberheim 8/X/Xa from u-he and Jupiter 8/10 from SA :pray: Praying for the German God of beer :D

<delete>

I think the prices for upgrading RePro~1 and Dune 2 will be reasonable. I don't know really how the prices for future emulations. We are talking years ahead I believe.

<delete>

olikana wrote:the ob-xa was the ultimate Curtis synth. all the best curtis chips are in there. and thats the one I'd rather see emulated.
I've had the obxa for years. It was, well, prone to not working on a Wednesday. Or Thursday. Or Monday. Or, well you get the point. The OB-x and the SEM to my ears sound completely different from each other. I don't know why that is. Maybe because the SEM is a bunch of mono synths when you put it together and you control each voice independently. But the OBxa is a lot easier to get a hold of than the original four voice and it sounds good just maybe not that unique.

Return to “Instruments”