Next Propellerhead Reason upgrade (9.5) to include VST support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Just when I was about to jump Reason train, mostly for the seamless in-the-box experience, they introduce VST support... I know I don't have to use it, but still, that makes me a little concerned about future of Reason as a standalone tool.

Here's the only screen-shot I want to show... :clap: :tu: :tu: :tu:

pekbro wrote:Here's the only screen-shot I want to show... :clap: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Presume the load/save buttons are for fxp patches, does it also support fxb?

Amazing that they understand these are fundamental requirements of full VST support when many of us are still fighting to get such things added in Bitwig.

Numanoid wrote:
Urs wrote:Yes, it's been difficult for us ...essential for our survival.
:scared:

Things are bad?
Not anymore. But there were times when things seemed to fall apart. Like, when people compared performance of our Rack Extensions to their VST counterparts. The only way to overcome those issues was to rewrite the whole lot, also going through the tedious task of adopting new SDKs and stuff. This would have taken a few months of not contributing much to overall cash flow. So it didn't happen, and it was a depressing experience.

aMUSEd wrote:
I'm afraid Reason does not seem to be able to recognize fxb currently...

incubus wrote:
machinesworking wrote:
machinesworking wrote: Developing Rewire into the modern era, with both Reason and the other DAW hosting VST, they will gain sales, no doubt about that.
incubus wrote: But people have made music perfectly fine w/o this (snotty tone)
Of course, people made music before computers, crazy. :hihi:
As for "the modern era" they won't. VST isn't enough of an excuse to use it.

Total disagreement here, I bought Reason a 1.0, used it until I found VSTs that sounded better than the included plug ins in v2.5. I like Reason, like the new instruments, like the approach, but I like DAWs like DP and Logic, Pro Tools, etc. big cumbersome or whatever... I own DP, Live, and soon Logic again, Reason sits at 2.5 and I see no rational to upgrade another DAW that doesn't play nice when ReWired. It's the reason I don't use Bitwig, it's the reason I mostly don't compose in Live anymore, at some point I want some DP9 feature, and having to port all plug ins and MIDI tracks over is a royal PITA.
I do not believe for a moment I'm alone. Say you start a project in Reason, and want to use some feature of Pro Tools, without being able to play or even use the VST tracks in Reason, you're very unlikely to want to start the project in Reason if you can do OK in Pro Tools with it. Plenty of users now own more than one DAW, and the DAWs that have unique features and full ReWire will come out ahead, just like Reason was ubiquitous in 2002 or so when VSTs could crash if you looked at them funny.

My take on this is Propellerheads is suffering from the same ego tripping that happens at Bitwig and Ableton HQ, they think they should be your only DAW, (At least Props think that now) therefore they put no effort into how their DAW will work with 'studio' DAWs like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Dp etc.

Full ReWire implementation with VST hosting on both master and slave would put Reason ahead of the pack IMO, it's a comfortable, easy to create electronic music in environment, and if they do this then more people who have vested interests in Pro Tools etc. will buy it or upgrade their copies for the first time, in my case in about 12 years!
What was great about reason was the fast self-contained music making experience. VST's = more crashing and cpu issues. They are still not optimized well any longer as it is. Not hard to get crackles and for the engine to quit because if you go over 3 bars in the meter, that's more than it can handle for a huge portion of users.
? Are you talking about Reason 9 as it stands? or some beta of the VST implementation.
I probably shouldn't have said anything as people think my comments mean I don't have an optimized computer or don't know the difference, but what I mean is that reason has gotten progressively worse in CPU use from version 8. I don't think I have to be a MIT professor to assume that adding VST will simply make this worse.
You're an incredibly disruptive person.

How have you not been banned yet?
Last edited by Ableguy1 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVR = Why do you let Incubus troll your forums?

No really...

how has this "Incubus" asshole not been banned yet????

Read his history = all he does is argue with people

Ableguy1 wrote: You're an incredibly disruptive person.

I like how you don't address the basic facts, and just go for personal attacks. You assume VSTs are 100% stable, and call other people ignorant for worrying, which is both rude and ignorant on your part. Yet other people should be banned for pointing that out. :lol:

With 24 posts you'll be lucky to get to 100 with that attitude, assuming this is your first identity at KVR. :roll:

I don't think incubus has anything wrong. All he talked about is fact. Actually, Reason has become very bad in terms of CPU optimization over the time specially on Version 9. However, I believe that problem might get solved with well written VSTs. Time will tell when it is released. I have seen a video on youtube the guy is using all UAD and the CPU was having a hard time but that doesn't count since it is on beta. But asking for someone to be banned is not the right thing. Why just cause he pointed out the flow? cause he is not agreed for whatever is written? it is a forum not a church.

aMUSEd wrote: It was making me laugh yesterday, they just add VST and PDC which are both huge, then suddenly this clamour of the dissatisfied for VST in rewire mode, freeze etc. Let's just get VST first and make sure it works well. Rewire is old tech that maybe needs some more fundamental changes than just hosting VST anyway to make it more usable (never use it myself, too clunky).
I mostly agree, but Propellerheads invented ReWire, they should be able to do what other DAWs can and host VST in slave mode. I never found rewiring Reason into Logic or DP clunky personally. I just got more from Live as a secondary DAW, but Reason has added a lot since 2.5. Being a former user, I would love to throw the cash down for the Reason upgrade, but I don't want to support another crippled ReWire Slave host. :?

pekbro wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
And this is why we kindly asked that you didn't share information on the beta outside the beta forum! That feature is simply not done yet due to a bug, but Reason will support fxb. The beta is the beta, the final release is something else. :)

machinesworking wrote:
Ableguy1 wrote: You're an incredibly disruptive person.

I like how you don't address the basic facts, and just go for personal attacks. You assume VSTs are 100% stable, and call other people ignorant for worrying, which is both rude and ignorant on your part. Yet other people should be banned for pointing that out. :lol:

With 24 posts you'll be lucky to get to 100 with that attitude, assuming this is your first identity at KVR. :roll:
Personal attacks?? You must need your eyes checked if you don't see that person as a regular troll.

You must be Incubus's other account. He's a complete shit-stirrer and you people just let him do it over and over again, lol. I blame KVR. Look at his history - all he does is argue

Anosou wrote:
pekbro wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
And this is why we kindly asked that you didn't share information on the beta outside the beta forum! That feature is simply not done yet due to a bug, but Reason will support fxb. The beta is the beta, the final release is something else. :)
Lol :party:

machinesworking wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: It was making me laugh yesterday, they just add VST and PDC which are both huge, then suddenly this clamour of the dissatisfied for VST in rewire mode, freeze etc. Let's just get VST first and make sure it works well. Rewire is old tech that maybe needs some more fundamental changes than just hosting VST anyway to make it more usable (never use it myself, too clunky).
I mostly agree, but Propellerheads invented ReWire, they should be able to do what other DAWs can and host VST in slave mode. I never found rewiring Reason into Logic or DP clunky personally. I just got more from Live as a secondary DAW, but Reason has added a lot since 2.5. Being a former user, I would love to throw the cash down for the Reason upgrade, but I don't want to support another crippled ReWire Slave host. :?
I think I mis-read you at first.

VST is going to blow the average Reason user nerd's mind.
Last edited by Ableguy1 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”