Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

bharris22 wrote:Hi Everyone,

This looks great. On the first page it says that the price will be $11 through the end of May, but when I go to the website to purchase it is listed as $35. Is there a code I need to input?

Thanks!
Please go to the company website, at the very bottom click the "Members" page and enter the password "kvrpro".
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Yes, (like he said) go to the "Members" page, and enter the code kvrpro.
Then go to "First Time Users" and click on "FATHOM KVR PURCHASE".

Please buy your first version, then after that you can get free version updates of just the DLL.
Your confirmation email will contain the zip file password for later versions.

The next version 1.0.4 will contain the Wave Table Morph feature.

Thank you!!

Looking for info on an AU version ETA.

AU for Mac about 4 weeks from now, early June.

Hi,

Congrats on release of this very nice VST plugin, bought it instantly after checking the free mono version.
It offers a lot already for a very low price, and from what I read here more goodness is on the way, great!

I have a couple of points so far.
My system: i5 6600k, 16GB DDR4, GTX980, Behringer UMC404HD USB soundcard ( Asio buffer 512 or 1024 ).

- Tweaking FM / AM parameters changes the waveform display quite slowly. Guess a bit GUI intensive?

- I managed to crash the VST in FLstudio 12.4.2 (yep, someone finally did :clown: ) after tweaking some waveform parameters ( partials etc. ), sound/plugin completely stopped.
Could remove the plugin, but after reload still no sound and FLstudio froze. After reload of Flstudio couldn't reproduce the problem, will test some more how it happened.

- For example Smooth FM bass preset: when I play notes fast on my keyboard I hear lots of clicks.
Tried another preset ( airbox chords ), also lots of clicks with fast notes. Am not sure how to change the ADSR settings to maybe adjust for this. Check sound example.

Update: init patch doesn't click when adding only a waveform. I'll re-check the ADSR.

- A modulation source:
- Preset Club Zen Bass: I added a Massberg LP filter at the top in the structure after the second waveform. Then tweaked the cutoff parameter from low to high, the sound I get isn't what I expect. It sometimes get distorted or heavily phased or so at some bits. Can someone verify what I'm saying, or I will record the result later on.

- Filters: Is it just me or do the filters not go low enough ( 100 Hz now )? I would expect to go as low as 20Hz or am I missing something.

- Browser: It would be nice to be able to click thru the presets without the browser closing after each loaded preset.   ( edit: nvm, there is a preview function. )

Cheers,

Rob
Last edited by RPH on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Congrats! On our first real crash. I have FL Studio now and I will try to reproduce that.
Let me know anything else you find to help me recreate the steps.
There are some instructions on the website download page on how to setup for FL Studio,
this might help eliminate that.

In the modulation matrix to delete a modulation slat, expand the slat
by clicking on the modulator icon to the right of the mod amount dial,
then once the mod slat is expanded you can hit delete to delete it.

To delete a modulator in the internal list, do the same as above
but click on the select modulator button and then on existing modulators button
then you can click on a modulator source in the list and hit the delete button
to delete it.

The "Quick Start Guide" tutorial video covers how to delete mods.

In general on Fathom, if you have something selected, you can delete it.

Thanks for reporting that problem on the massberg filter, I will recreate that and fix it.
The massberg should be super smooth, if not, its a bug.

Others have commented on the filter low limit being too high, I will fix that for next release.

Thanks for some great specific observations, this is extremely helpful to get Fathom to the
"primary" synth stage for our users over the next month, and this needs to be done,
before releasing the MAC OSX version.
Everett

Hi Everett,

Thank you for the reply.

I editted my comment, added a few more points and a sound example about fast notes and clicks.

Will check out the quick start and FL setup to be sure I did all correctly.

Cheers!

Rob.
Last edited by RPH on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello Everett!

A few days ago you gave us by emails or PM's our secret passwords (when already customers) but... I can't find in which page is the link to download our polyphonic new release.

:oops:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

FathomSynth wrote: There are some instructions on the website download page on how to setup for FL Studio,
this might help eliminate that.
I checked the FLstudio instructions, I also see some sub options available.
Should I do anything with that as well?

See screenshot:
Fathom-FLst-Fixedbuffersettings.jpg

FL studio manual:

Options:
These two options are only to be used if the default 2 ms 'Fixed sized buffers' does not work. In general, both these options should be off.
##Process maximum size buffers - FL Studio block size is used as the fixed buffer size, the block size is the maximum processing size, as determined by FL Studio itself. NOTE: The block size is typically a much bigger than the processing buffer size, leading to even bigger latency.
##Use maximum buffer size from host - Same as the above but the plugin is also informed of the block size being used by FL Studio. A few plugins can make use of this data to synchronize their processing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi BlackWinny,

I had to search myself also. But it is that same members page as before and with the old code. It is the zip that you have to unzip with that given serial.

I guess that in the future the site will become more streamlined also.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Hi,

bought fathom today even if it is definitely not my style of music covered, seems to be a good way to learn a bit more about synths in general and modules and just looks nice :D

Hence please dont kill me if I say first looking for any preset that covers just a pluck for was not very prosperous, keys, stabs I tried all sounds kind of very similar therefore I was wondering if it might depend on the synth itself or just preferred style of devellopers ?

Then, apart from very high cpu usage you fairly mentioned on your site I have one crash on waveform (win 64 bit, waveform 64 bit) and display problems (seems sometimes on start it is not correctly loading and display in the middle just grey without modules shown).

Deleted plug, load it again, now it seems to work.

CPU: I have the same midi track (kind of slow arp/strum) played by lethal with a really nice "perfectly" sounding guitar with 20 % loading and on another track fathom wit "a-kind-of-plug" thing at 80 % load (in waveform display, just comparing actual USED plugs, not in general), must admit that lets me wonder a bit. Reducing polyphony and voices does not seem to improve the cpu much.

I did not have it mostly for actual use, more for learning, so just some very first impressions (have not even watched the quick start video :oops: ), hope you dont mind.

EDIT: downloaded the breakbeat soundset, :phew: , seems to be lot more sounds possible :D , so its my turn to learn how to (and maybe yours to add a little bit more of this varibility in the factory sound bank 8)
AND: one nice pad sound I take which sound great together with the lethal guitar has now HALF the cpu from lethal, so it is possible :D
Great work by Shnugglefritz, thank you a lot for this soundset :tu:

Hello
I bought Fathom and I quite like it!
Can't wait for the morphing wavetables

I'm having some annoying bugs inside FL12
First I made a sound with "Fixed size buffers" checked, rendered to wave and the rendered sound was not what I had in FL
(some kind of delay in it)
Then I unchecked fixed size buffers, the sound was OK but some parts of the two mesures I exported were silent.
Then I closed FL after having saved the project, reopened it and the waveform was flat and of course silent (it was a wavedraw saw)

Hope you can do something about that,as you can imagine it made fathom useless for me :s

Cheers,
David

ErikH wrote:Hi BlackWinny,

I had to search myself also. But it is that same members page as before and with the old code. It is the zip that you have to unzip with that given serial.

I guess that in the future the site will become more streamlined also.
Ah OK, Erik
:tu:

You know, Everett... it is not necessary to put the releases of the registered product in this page protected by a password.

Why?

For three reasons:

First reason: the password required to open this page is a password for KVR members (even if it i in fact public).

But second and much more coherent reason : the purchasers of Fathom are not necessarily KVR members so they shouldn't have to open a "KVR members" focused page update the tool that they may have bought totally independently of KVR (the "KVR members" focused page is only here to allow a discount at the purchase).

And third, for another very coherent reason: the zip file to the registered edition is already protected by a strong password which will be obviously very difficult to hack if someone would want to do it.

Conclusion: the releases of the registered version could perfectly be in the common "Download" page without any need to strike a password to open a page.
:party:

And in addition it would be much more easy to find for new customers (who, I repeat, are not necessarily KVR members but in addition have absolutely no need to strike a password to download a zip file which is... itself strongly protected by its own password.

It is that configuration which was my suggestion a few days ago... a configuration much easier to understand and giving the same security due to the strong password to unlock the zip file.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

tatanka wrote:... bought fathom today even if it is definitely not my style of music covered
Hello Tatanka

Would you believe it?... I'm currently beginning a composition in "Ambient Indian" (sorry, not Amerindian but Indian even if I love also the Amerindian styles) style (with a sampled santoor (this one) and a sampled bansuri, fake bansuri because I use this wonderful Nordic flute which produces exactly the same sound) and one instance of Fathom makes wonderful evolving pads (splendid polyphony) in that background (thank to its morphing abilities and its excellent modulation of phase between the oscillators) while another instance of this gem produces phrases of dreamy leads (in mono mode) in alternate dialog with the bansuri. There is also a discrete tabla (this one) in background at the beginning before the appearance of the pads, and the tabla will make a terminal apparition at the end of the track. And I'm working on it by composing in RapidComposer.

I shall need a good time of work on it, because all the song is tuned in one of the Indian scales which are quite complex, but really this modular synth is wonderful for cosmic backgrounds giving impressions of evolution among the stars.
:phones:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”