Hartmann NEURON VS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i know it's oldie but its free , i downloaded it here http://www.neuronsynth.com/html/Home.html

but its asking for nuke and its not working , i see just white screen.
anyone can help ?
i saw here that its free and with out the joystick
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -free.html

It still tries to detect the NUKE because some of us have one but doesn't need it so just ignore the message. Only works in hosts that still support VST 2.2, not many - main one I know of is Plogue Bidule.

Minimum System Requirements:
VST 2.3 compatible host, MacOS X Intel 10.6.8+
So it only works in 2.2 compatible hosts? kinda misleading right now, can this be used in Bitwig?

.maki wrote:
Minimum System Requirements:
VST 2.3 compatible host, MacOS X Intel 10.6.8+
So it only works in 2.2 compatible hosts? kinda misleading right now, can this be used in Bitwig?
2.3 then, point is almost all hosts are 2.4 now, including Bitwig.

what about the hardware synth not the nuke , is it still available?

Only second hand (and even then rarely seen)

It was ported to the last version by Chris from Audio Damage, if memory serves. I think it was a labor of love. There was talk about a possible PC port, but nothing ever seemed to come of it.

When I had it running on an old MacBook, it worked fine, but I wasn't that impressed. Maybe you couldn't edit it fully.... I forget, but the overall sound was underwhelming. You're better off with Absynth, Iris, or maybe the new BT Phobos. I missed the introductory price on Phobos because I didn't hear enough demos of it doing non rhythmic stuff, but it seems to be pretty interesting.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I opened Waldorf largo and i saw that Axel Hartmann is the gui designer
here is Axel with neuron:

https://youtu.be/MWIH6zhKR8s

Not the same but I always felt Plex from Wolfgang Palm might create sounds in a similar balbark

http://plex.hermannseib.com

Windows only, free 32 and 64 bit
Amazon: why not use an alternative

So.... in case anyone is interested... I have Neuron VST up and running in !!!64bit!!! Logic 10 AND Ableton Live 10, with fully visible and working GUI.

I happen to own a Nuke BTW, but as previously mentioned, one is not necessary to run the plug these days thanks to their generosity. Manipulating the 3 sphere X/Y parameters is key to animating the sounds so they can evolve and flow, and this is much more straight forward with the nukes joystick. The encoders on the nuke are also extremely high quality, and if you've seen pentagonal knobs on anything else let me know, I can't believe they aren't used more often on rotary encoders. If you've heard an SY-22 or TG-33 I put it in that same class of vector based doom dread and drone generators.

For those that never used the plugin back in the day before it's resurrection, here's something to keep in mind - you could only use it for short periods of time due to memory leaks in the code (over time the plugin would consume more and more ram until the entire OS crashed). Besides releasing the plugin for free the memory leaks appear to have been fixed and it seems to be happy running for hours if not days at a time now. Also, keeping a full size Neuron keyboard in operation is essentially the same as maintaining vintage PC hardware running linux because that's what it is inside so being able to use the plugin avoids all of that headache. Now, it's almost 2019 and with the resurrected VST with memory leaks fixed and with the right set of wrapper and 32bit to 64bit bridge the plugin is finally usable (again) in 64bit DAWS! We'll see how long it lasts before some update or technology transition breaks it once and for all, but for now I am happy to enjoy a little Neuron goodness again.

Here's the secret sauce:

Get Neuron VST and it's models installed as per it's instructions

Get your hands on the FXPansion VST to AU Wrapper 2.0 & Wrap It Like a JimmyHat!
(I say 'get your hands' on because I don't believe it is commercially available anymore, please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see a way to buy it on their website anymore as I am guessing they don't want to have to support it anymore, again just a guess, but if anyone knows where to buy this so the original developers get their cut please post it)

Buy yourself a copy of 32Lives the 32bit to 64bit plugin bridge and bridge the wrapped AU of the Neuron VST (don't bother bridging the Neuron VST itself, the FXPansion AU wrapper is the magic that is supporting the old 2.1 VST libraries and allowing the code to run and the UI to appear)

In my DAWs I am finding the working plugin under: Audio Units/VST/Neuron - Audio units usually show up under folders named for each plugin manufacturer - VSTs wrapped by the VST to AU adapter show up with your audio units under the "manufacturer" folder named VST in your 64bit DAW after being bridged with 32Lives.

Extra credit:
Get modelmaker running and make your own models/import your own sounds for 'neuronal resynthesis'

Hi, I fixed a Hartmann Neuron kb for a NYC based music producer David Kahne 7+ years ago, was quite a journey, had to reinstall bios as far as I remember, nothing bad in hardware luckily.. But, I got totally... "hooked" into the sound, which felt like... listening to the... universe itself... :). I just got the VST version running on an older G4 Macbook Pro. NEXT: I would love to follow your steps and get it running on my Mac Pro Mojave Xeon tower (or at least a High Sierra boot), will follow your steps.. BUT, I have one question... Q: What about the Modelmaker, I only can see/find a PowerPC compatible version, is there possibly a version which might run on High Sierra or Mojave even on an Intel based Mac ?, thank you in advance for any advice, Best regards, Marko, Helsinki.

here's the short version. it works with the hardware controller, or you can play presets without.

I sure wish they’d open source that code and let someone make something from it. Sure would like a Windows VSTi.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 am here's the short version. it works with the hardware controller, or you can play presets without.
that's if you can even get it showing up in your DAW.

Surely Alchemy, Omnisphere and the likes are all better alternatives...?

I owned the hardware and the plugin was buggy as hell, i've wasted too much time with this synth, and trying to get the plugin running in various OSs... such a sad state of affairs. I feel sorry for Axel.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:06 am I sure wish they’d open source that code and let someone make something from it. Sure would like a Windows VSTi.
Yes :pray:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”