Transforming A Violin

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What would anyone recommend for me to try to get the most extreme sound out of a violin? Any techniques or specific plug-ins anyone has come across that would help? I'm really not trying for any specific sound, I just want to see what's possible. I am looking for things I can do in real time though.

Thanks,
-Derelict

Sandman Pro, Fault, and most other Unfiltered Audio plugins will transform most anything ... https://www.unfilteredaudio.com/

Try running it through a guitar amp plugin, like Amplitube.
Play it by ear

I guess I'm kind of looking at how to come up with a more synth-based sound

DerelictPmpngStation wrote:I guess I'm kind of looking at how to come up with a more synth-based sound
Smartass response: Pretty much any ampsim will do exactly that, especially if you use impulse responses for speaker sims...

Better response: Use noise gates, octave generators/dividers, phasers, flangers, the usual delay-based suspects, but also all the whole gamut of glitch-based effects. Granular delays can really fsck things up nicely... well, in other peoples' (virtual) hands; I suck at doing so.

You could also create a sampled instrument from your violinist. Or cut and paste loops.

Maybe even look into an audio-to-midi converter to trigger synths for a more multitimbral thing.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Or fsck with the instrument itself, physically. Attach various things to its bridge or strings to make it jingle or jangle or rattle or buzz; why should drummers and sitarists and pianists have all the fun? (Inset standard joke about pianist envy.) Maybe rest the violin on a resonant surface and see what sort of weird noises you can get out of it. Just because Mozart and Paganini would disapprove... no, wait, those guys would probably love it.

Or play with the recording process. Sing or hum or make the bodily noise of your choice while playing; why should George Benson have all the fun? Record through a cheap-ass mic. Record through various filters; make the aural equivalent of smearing KY gel on the lens. Rotate the violinist or the mic for a budget Leslie effect. Use two mics and move them in and out of phase.

Other effects. Use a wah. Intersperse white noise; I'm a fan of, err, fans.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Sound Design”