Building a new PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BenHarlos wrote: Gamer or not, don't go for GPU without a fan! NEVER!
Utter tosh.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BenHarlos wrote:Ryzen however, is faster and much superior in performance. Ryzen new that just came out 2 months ago can kill Intel i7K series.

So, Ryzen users are less. We can't compare it as yet. I have taken these facts from a compare page.
Yeah, but people who have done real world audio tests (was it Scan? apologies for forgetting...) identified a potential data bottleneck which significantly handicapped it's performance for audio use. Maybe drivers will fix it but for now, you can't just quote printed specs.

GaryG wrote:
BenHarlos wrote:Ryzen however, is faster and much superior in performance. Ryzen new that just came out 2 months ago can kill Intel i7K series.

So, Ryzen users are less. We can't compare it as yet. I have taken these facts from a compare page.
Yeah, but people who have done real world audio tests (was it Scan? apologies for forgetting...) identified a potential data bottleneck which significantly handicapped it's performance for audio use. Maybe drivers will fix it but for now, you can't just quote printed specs.
Ryzen is definitely not the way to go for audio, intel 7700k is top dog for audio related task atm and that is not just my opinion it's a fact.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Ah, here you go, it was Scan (kaine at kvr):

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/03/02 ... for-audio/

Hey guys

Thanks for all your responses! I still have a week to get the new PC. I think it's a fine setup but I don't know if Ryzen would be better at audio performances (not planing any hardcore gaming, just good GPU to not be outdated soon and also try the games that I'm adding its audio). Keep in mind that I'd like to use like minimum 20 Kontakt instances (some of them with 1gb patches and some of them with 1mb patches) so don't know what would work better.

Also GaryG thanks for the article, will read it when I arrive home! :)

Kaine wrote:
BenHarlos wrote: Ryzen offers 16 threads, intel don't offer that.
:?

/looks at 72 thread machine in the corner of the office with the Intel chips in it

lol Which machine is that? :lol:

I read on some other forum that, clock speed and threads don't really matter, there was a time, when intel 3 Ghz chip was beating the hell out of AMD 4 or 5Ghz chips.

BenHarlos wrote: lol Which machine is that? :lol:
Tongue in cheek comment aside, we had a workstation kicking about for testing with a pair of E5-2699 V3's in them, which gave 72 total. The V4's have 88 threads, but nobody has lent me any of those to play with yet.

BenHarlos wrote:I read on some other forum that, clock speed and threads don't really matter, there was a time, when intel 3 Ghz chip was beating the hell out of AMD 4 or 5Ghz chips.
The CPU performance does matter. And yes, most certainly the number of cores/threads is important for DAWs which will use any number.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Nope. In reality, intel is superior for daw use. A 7700k is about the same price, has better real-world performance (proven, don't listen to the hype) and has better mobos.

People are not slagging on AMD because they have nothing better to do, despite propaganda.

What is current thinking on i7 6800k vs the 7700k. From the scan post about the Ryzen it looks like the 6800k edges out the 7700k for daw use. I know the post is about Ryzen but there is useful 6800k vs 7700k info here.
I see the OP was originally looking at z270 mobo so I guess the real question is x99/6800k vs z270/7700k. Right now 7700k is about $60 cheaper at Amazon.

Steve Bolivar wrote:What is current thinking on i7 6800k vs the 7700k. From the scan post about the Ryzen it looks like the 6800k edges out the 7700k for daw use. I know the post is about Ryzen but there is useful 6800k vs 7700k info here.
I see the OP was originally looking at z270 mobo so I guess the real question is x99/6800k vs z270/7700k. Right now 7700k is about $60 cheaper at Amazon.
Buy the chip with the highest single thread performance for real time audio work. And 7700k is rated 2nd place so...
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

It's tough, because between the "hype" and everyones emotional projection, you get a really clouded view.

Again, get the best chip, with the best mobo you can. Price is of course, relevant.

Example: If you have a budget (chip/mobo/and of course a doze version) then what you want is in this order:

-GHZ. Always king. Now keep in mind that that OC'ing is something to consider.
-Number of cores. Good one, but relative to examples of real-world performance
-MOBO: VERY IMPORTANT! There are many brands, but who/what brand is key. So, even if ryzen is bitchen, if the mobo sucks, doesn't matter.
And

What soundcard are you using? I know from experience that it's a huge factor. I have an RME babyface pro, which gives me STELLAR performance from anything I tried previously.

My suggestion is that you evaluate your graphics/ram/soundcard performance, decide what direction you want (within financial constraints of course) and project accordingly.

I don't say this lightly, intel is a proven winner. It's proven with mobos, it's proven with users, and it's proven almost regardless of host.

Hopefully, that is food for thought.

Oh, one other thing. Eventually you have to "filter" what everyone else here and elsewhere is saying. Filter it with prejudice, there is no perfect answer, but judge what anyone here is saying against what others are say. Chances are decent that you'll get something "good" worst case scenario.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”