What do you use to create sample-based instruments for multiple formats?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got an MPC 2500 and an Alesis fusion. I want to create programs on my computer and then load them onto these machines. I'm wondering what tools people would use to do this.

I would like something that is a sort of "master format" that then gets converted. I tried to use Chicken Systems Constructor but I found it very limited and hard to use.

So... I'm just wondering what people here do. I am vaguely considering using Kontakt as the "master format" and then using Translator to convert it to the formats I want.

Even that has been an exercise in frustration, to tell you the truth. At this point it's way less of a headache to just make the instruments on the machines themselves.

But I have this idea of being able to construct instruments on my computer, and then load them onto the MPC / Fusion. I know there are lots of sample library makers here who create sample libraries / instruments for multiple formats – how do you do it?

bump

I don't know how exactly these sample library makers make multi-formats, but I think kontakt is not a good master format as no other software could read its files past kontakt 3. I think EXS or SFZ is more general.

I've been doing a little research this week and came across a couple of interesting utilities. DSP Quattro is used by a couple of folks because it does batch processing, bit and sample rate reduction, looping, etc. I'm just not sure what formats it exports in but, it DOES have a demo, so I'll be checking it out this weekend. There's another batch processor called Myriad that all the audio professionals in the gaming industry are using...again, I haven't figured out what sample formats it exports in.

The most comprehensive one that handles samples in almost every format imaginable is Sample Robot. It looks like it would totally do the trick but, it ain't cheap. The regular version is 129 bucks (Myriad and Quattro are 100) and it only exports in 8 and 16 bit. I'm not sure how well it does looping either as they have another utility for that called Wave Robot. They really want to direct you to the Pro version which does everything, and exports up to 24bit. The Pro Version is $269.

You know, Magix Sound Forge is on sale too, for 299 right now, and I understand that it does just about everything. Always something to think about.

I'd love to hear more about this too, as I am getting a kick out of using DiscoDSP Bliss to sample my VSTs for using in Ableton's Sampler. I've been exporting patches as 16 bit Wav files and you wouldn't believe how easy it is on my CPU! A 40 percent U-he Diva patch, runs at like, 2-3 percent now! I'd like a little more capability than Bliss offers. It only samples VSTs and there are some synths that will crash it.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”