Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my primary production DAW
17%
Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my secondary DAW
19%
Now that Reason supports VST, I will be a first-time Reason user (either as a primary or secondary DAW)
6%
I have no interest in returning to Reason
24%
I have no interest in trying Reason as a first time user
21%
I may consider returning to/trying Reason if they add a feature [Please comment below]
14%

Total votes : 198
xbitz
KVRAF

1667 posts since 3 Oct, 2013, from Budapest

Postby xbitz; Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

the first non logging version version (RC1) is out, and holy mother Jesus, there are no words for this :hail: (just to illustrate the CPU consumption went from 75% to 9.5% ... ) it will be huge :D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat
memyselfandus
KVRAF

5114 posts since 28 Apr, 2006

Postby memyselfandus; Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

A few people mentioned drag n drop midi from something like ez drummer to selected track is being worked on in the beta. Has this been updated yet?
xbitz
KVRAF

Postby xbitz; Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Non-disclosure agreement ...

just wanted to share that it will be huuuge :)
bmrzycki
KVRAF

3924 posts since 11 Aug, 2006, from Austin, TX

Postby bmrzycki; Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

xbitz wrote:Non-disclosure agreement ...

Is this something new that you can't mention just yet??
Feel free to call me Brian.
maserman
KVRer

4 posts since 19 Jul, 2014

Postby maserman; Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

The only reason i like the idea of vsts in Reason is because now i can use reaktor in Reason! Reason is my only DAW!
memyselfandus
KVRAF

5114 posts since 28 Apr, 2006

Postby memyselfandus; Fri May 19, 2017 12:40 pm Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

xbitz wrote:Non-disclosure agreement ...

just wanted to share that it will be huuuge :)

:hyper:
DJMaytag
KVRist

336 posts since 15 Dec, 2012, from Madison, Wiscompton

Postby DJMaytag; Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

I'm ready to dump Cubase after 15 years, and possibly just go "DAW-free" (read: only using the DAW for multitrack recording purposes, no longer hosting VSTi's and no longer sequencing with a DAW). I'm looking at dropping some serious $$$ on Eurorack sequencers (Erica Drum Trigger/Sequencer and Winter Modular Eloquencer) in the next 12 months, as I wrote more music in the 90's using a pair of Roland MSQ-700's than I ever have with a DAW.

I've always loved Reason and the immediacy at which one can bang out some ideas. While I left at 6.5.3 for a while, I am eagerly anticipating the 9.5 upgrade for use with a few things for writing. I may still continue to use Cubase for mixdown & mastering.
Cubase 8 | ABL2/ReDominator| Phoscyon/Nithonat/Drumazon | SEM V/Jupiter 8V | Nerve/LFO Tool | Sunrizer | Twin2| U-NO-LX/B-101 | Korg KLC

Deep Trance/Retro Acid Trance/Progressive House on Souncloud
SMH
KVRist

41 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Postby SMH; Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

You left one out: "Now that Reason supports VST I'll actually bother trying it."

Thank you for listening Propellerheads!!! Downloading now!
BradstarProductions
KVRer

1 post since 21 Mar, 2017, from Bells, TN

Postby BradstarProductions; Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:13 pm Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Like some others here, I'm just so used to my current DAW (FL). I used Reason with FL back when I first started producing years ago, but haven't ever thought about doing that again or switching to Reason completely. Learning a new DAW for non-essential reasons is not worth it in my opinion.
Signature blocked until 5 posts made
xbitz
KVRAF

Postby xbitz; Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 pm Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

yepp, Reason can boost the general "Experience Index" of the effective but dull looking DAWs

Bitwig has incredible fast workflow/modulation capabilities but also has booring/uninspirative look compare with Reason, so worth to get the best from both of them (fun with the visually rich Reason/effective workflow with Bitwig), it needs only Bidule(as ReWire master VST with x32 mixer out)

I've tried both of them alone, but meh, working with Bitwig (FL Studio, Ableton Live, Cubase, S1 etc.) alone is boring but fast/effective and vice versa working with Reason is fun/inspirative but superslow :roll: so the truth is somewhere between them

worth to check Max Braiman streams, this is the preferable workflow what I'm talking about (putting the MIDI sources/fxs to the main DAW where can be worked fast, and the sound sources to Reason - luckily from Reveal Sound ReSpire a patch can be moved out from Reason to a VST Spire easily if it needs too much CPU - )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFPq7U3J90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfOj11Ofcx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FfHVeu10c
jlgrimes11
KVRer

1 post since 4 Jan, 2008, from Atlanta

Postby jlgrimes11; Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

VSTs help a lot in Reason. The delay compensation fix is an even bigger improvement IMO. They have made a lot of small improvements over the years.

Audio in Reason is pretty good with Sampling, slicing, pitch edit, and a nice Comp editor.

Their Rack Extensions are pretty unique as well.

My biggest gripe is they are behind in many areas namely GUI related issues.

Their piano roll needs to be greatly improved. If they modernize their Sampler/Redrum GUIs, they will be a huge contender.

Ableton and Studio One are tough DAWS to compete with though. I'll probably stick with Ableton for creating and Studio One for mixing.

For getting ideas down fast, Reason has always been good for me. Its Drum programming can be a bit slow though compared with Ableton which has a very efficient piano Roll for programming fast rolls
woodsdenis
KVRian

1352 posts since 24 Feb, 2005

Postby woodsdenis; Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:21 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Mac Pro
10.12.4 Digi 96 io
Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9.7, Bitwig 1.3
Anosou
KVRist

113 posts since 22 Jul, 2011, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Anosou; Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

woodsdenis wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WUG9cZbyI

Comparison videos.

Just a heads up, we're (among other things) working on improving performance in Reason and hope to have a free update available very soon. :party:
DJMaytag
KVRist

336 posts since 15 Dec, 2012, from Madison, Wiscompton

Postby DJMaytag; Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:02 am Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

It took all of 10 minutes using the trial to convince me to upgrade to 9.5 and dump Cubase for writing/remixing purposes.

I may export stems to Cubase and do a final mixdown there, but I'm done trying to write in Cubase while using Rewire to gain access to what I need in Reason.
Cubase 8 | ABL2/ReDominator| Phoscyon/Nithonat/Drumazon | SEM V/Jupiter 8V | Nerve/LFO Tool | Sunrizer | Twin2| U-NO-LX/B-101 | Korg KLC

Deep Trance/Retro Acid Trance/Progressive House on Souncloud
EnochLight
KVRian

520 posts since 20 Mar, 2012, from Detroit, MI

Postby EnochLight; Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:45 pm Re: Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

woodsdenis wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WUG9cZbyI

Comparison videos.

You're piling instances of Slate VBC Rack onto one instrument + track. Try creating 4 or more instruments + tracks, and start adding Slate VBC Rack in equal parts onto each instrument. I guarantee you'll get more instances (though not as many as you'll get in other DAW).
  • Presonus Studio One 3.5 | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)