Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
retronoodle
KVRer

16 posts since 13 Nov, 2012

Postby retronoodle; Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

I rarely rarely need these as I either usually have people to sing in the room, or the style of music just doesn't require a choir.

So I don't want to spend too much on this. I just need a choir for the background of one song.

Is there one you guys and gals like best that won't break the bank?

Much thanks!
wagtunes
KVRAF

7990 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed May 17, 2017 8:42 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

retronoodle wrote:I rarely rarely need these as I either usually have people to sing in the room, or the style of music just doesn't require a choir.

So I don't want to spend too much on this. I just need a choir for the background of one song.

Is there one you guys and gals like best that won't break the bank?

Much thanks!

Nope. I have EWQL Symphonic Choirs. I think it's around $300 but don't remember. Been a while since I got it.

I know of no free ones that sound anything like a choir. You're better off getting DEXED (free DX7 emulator) and finding that choir patch that came with the original DX7 and programming that into DEXED. Add some reverb and you'll have something almost passable.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

20575 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

There's a free one on the Sampling forum (iirc). Was reading it earlier. I think its Mu-Lab, Kontakt and SFz ... here ya go.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=300766
brainzistor
Suspended

Postby brainzistor; Wed May 17, 2017 10:18 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

I've been using Magnus Choir for the last...I don't even know how much years. I use it when there is a need to embellish symphonic piece.
layzer
KVRAF

4370 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 pm Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

i converted the vowel choir set to ShortCircuit v1.0 format, i processed and looped the best samples
and only used the c4 and c6 keys per preset to shrink the whole thing to 3.5mb (anti-bloatware :hihi:)
go get shortcircuit (its free) if you dont have it, and download the vowel choir here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/1hfquw

let me know what you think!

*edit* uploaded +1 transposed version.
Last edited by layzer on Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
Teksonik
KVRAF

11427 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 pm Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

Synth 1 "Dark Choir" Patch in Nolwenn's third bank.

Or any one of a dozen Soundfonts. Floristan Choir, Papelmedia Ahh Choir etc......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
evilantal
KVRian

590 posts since 13 Mar, 2008, from Arnhem, Netherlands

Postby evilantal; Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 pm Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

How about Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir at $29?
It has an SFZ version, so can be used in the free sforzando sampler
Vortifex
KVRist

240 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

evilantal wrote:How about Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir at $29?

Seconded, Olympus sounds great. I own Olympus Elements and couldn't be happier with it.

Magnus Choir is cheap, but it sounds cheap, and consequently it's something you only really want to use as a layering tool, or maybe for vocal-style pads.
bigcat1969
KVRian

1229 posts since 30 Jul, 2013

Postby bigcat1969; Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

Good is always the question, but here is free...

SFZ or Kontakt
http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... choir.html

53 Choir Aahs
http://bcvsts.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-gm-soundset.html
chk071
KVRAF

12698 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

evilantal wrote:How about Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir at $29?

Do you get all the controls of the Kontakt version in the sforzando player? Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but, i never used sfz, and i never used sforzando.

Edit: Nevermind, found the manual, and it's all described in there.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
fallacy
KVRist

110 posts since 15 Apr, 2016, from Germany

Postby fallacy; Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

I've been looking for 'that' choir sound for a while now - the type used in a lot of ambient music... You'd think a good choir sound would be one that is as 'real' as you can get from samples but not always... There's a niche for something in between that of a Mellotron and a 150gb sample library. In my experience, the Kontakt libraries and the original Alchemy libraries (even with the choir expansions) didn't seem to fit the bill of what I was after. The best I've heard was the 'ahh' choirs on a Korg MicroX, which is a ROMpler based on the Triton engine if I recall... Second to that is the 'Digital Choir' sounds in Hypersonic 2 (with some tinkering of the preset) followed by some of those in Halion Sonic 2... The Korg M1 choirs fall slightly short of the sound I'm referring to, and the worst by far were those in Sampletank 2 - but everything sounds like lo-fi garbage from Sampletank 2 IMO... I can only assume things improved drastically in Sampletank 3?

I wonder if there's been any further efforts in providing for that 'half-digital-half-super-realistic' sound? I can only hope at least someone knows what I'm talking about here!
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Fri May 19, 2017 6:44 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

The Soundiron sound demos were so pleasing that i will probably end up buying Olympus Elements in the next sale BTW. I think they do have a Black Friday sale frequently. Will pick it up then. :)
evilantal
KVRian

590 posts since 13 Mar, 2008, from Arnhem, Netherlands

Postby evilantal; Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

fallacy wrote:I've been looking for 'that' choir sound for a while now - the type used in a lot of ambient music... You'd think a good choir sound would be one that is as 'real' as you can get from samples but not always... There's a niche for something in between that of a Mellotron and a 150gb sample library. In my experience, the Kontakt libraries and the original Alchemy libraries (even with the choir expansions) didn't seem to fit the bill of what I was after. The best I've heard was the 'ahh' choirs on a Korg MicroX, which is a ROMpler based on the Triton engine if I recall... Second to that is the 'Digital Choir' sounds in Hypersonic 2 (with some tinkering of the preset) followed by some of those in Halion Sonic 2... The Korg M1 choirs fall slightly short of the sound I'm referring to, and the worst by far were those in Sampletank 2 - but everything sounds like lo-fi garbage from Sampletank 2 IMO... I can only assume things improved drastically in Sampletank 3?

I wonder if there's been any further efforts in providing for that 'half-digital-half-super-realistic' sound? I can only hope at least someone knows what I'm talking about here!

I'd maybe check out Precisionsound's Angelic Vocal Pad series of Kontakt libraries...
thejonsolo
KVRAF

1559 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 am Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

chk071 wrote:The Soundiron sound demos were so pleasing that i will probably end up buying Olympus Elements in the next sale BTW. I think they do have a Black Friday sale frequently. Will pick it up then. :)

It was just recently half price. You might not have to wait that long. They run some nice deals on things throughout the year.
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm Re: What's a good choir vst that's free or inexpensive?

Thanks, i'll keep my eyes open for that. :)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments