Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

lunat
KVRer

9 posts since 2 Mar, 2007

Postby lunat; Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

@Wormhelmet

I gotta clarify that I don't hate the synth engine itself. It sure is "versatile" synthesize wise, although I find it application wise, really oriented as a pad/ambiant machine more than as a lead or bass synth. But that's my opinion, i just don't feel like the "waldorf sound" fits those roles in my music, purely subjective ofc.

I actually like the "waldorf sound" for pads and stuff, and I've been using it in most of my stuff for almost a decade now. I would have refunded / sold it back but now with the dead buttons i'd rather keep it than sell it for 50 bucks. I just hate being taken for a fool as a customer. My criticism is more about Waldorf as a company than about their blofeld. I honestly wouldn't have minded beta testing their product had they been open about it. But really, the reaction from customer service, the "surprise" SL license etc really were the tipping point.

Also take note that on release it was almost twice the current price, it was my first synth that I bought with my shitty summer job salary when i was still a teen, so yeah, I wasn't really pleased.

@transmetropolitan

This is a fair question.

If you don't rule out plug ins, i'd go with Xfer Serum anytime. It's very similar, it might lack a couple of options like FM synthesis but it's overall a way better wavetable synth, imo. You can make your own wavetables easily, it doesn't cost you an additional "license" and it's way beyond spectre in term of easiness of use.

Now hardware wise, it's true, alternatives are almost inexistant. The only one I can think of, remotely similar and in the same price range, is the Novation Ultranova; which I never tried, although I heard good things about it.

All in all, i'd rather go with a less "versatile" synth that's reliable, has more button, and is from a company that won't use me as a beta tester and charge me for features that are "locked" on my synth. If I had to spend around 500 bucks today, I'd go with a Korg Minilogue. But that's me.
Wormhelmet
KVRian

1337 posts since 20 Dec, 2004

Postby Wormhelmet; Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Just poking fun. Its fair to report issues you've had with support. At least you have got use out of it in 10 years. It was my first new hardware synth purchase in a long long time when I bought mine, but must have bought after they fixed encoders. No real issues with mine in about 4 years. The complaints about the encoders was very common when they first released it for sure.

I am really using other editors for it so doesn't get much encoder twirling from me. Have a bcr2000 with blofeld templates, patch morpher, and tb midi stuff editor
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet
lunat
KVRer

Postby lunat; Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Makes me think, do you know if there is a free software editor for the blofeld? I know only of the paying ones.

That would really help with my dead buttons issues =).
transmetropolitan
KVRist

214 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Postby transmetropolitan; Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

lunat wrote:Makes me think, do you know if there is a free software editor for the blofeld? I know only of the paying ones.

I don't, but Monstrumfeld is an investment that has been well worth it for me, and one I would recommend to others.
ew
KVRAF

9170 posts since 22 Jul, 2002, from Coon Rapids, MN

Postby ew; Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:24 pm Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

lunat wrote:Makes me think, do you know if there is a free software editor for the blofeld? I know only of the paying ones.

http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft#blofeld

ew
A spectral heretic...
chk071
KVRAF

12737 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:31 pm Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

lunat wrote:I bought mine on release.

The engine was so bugged it was literally unusable for a month: couldn't save anything, various glitch. I had glitchy encoders from the start. Was promised by staff that all would be fixed on the first firmware update.

First row of customers were basically treated as beta-testers. The worst was the cult like following of the Waldorf fans on the community forum who minimized every issues and jumped at anyone complaining about the unacceptable issues.

The first updates solved the most annoying bugs, but 10 years later, my encoders are still as jumpy as they were on day one. I also have two of the five buttons that died on me 2 years after buying it, I have to press them hard and many times for them to work. Really great when one of those button is the shift button and you want to save your preset. Which made it impossible to sell it to anyone.

And don't get me started on the SL license, a pure scam, paying high dollars to unlock something that is already there. They didn't even have the decency to offer it to their first customers who did their beta-testing and QA check for them.

My biggest regret is to not have refunded it in the 14 first days and believed all the promises. After all that, I promised myself to never buy a Waldorf product again, and looking at the stuff they released in the same fashions after the blofeld (bugs, terrible customer service, etc.), looks like I did the right choice.

So I'll go against the stream here: don't buy a Blofeld, don't buy anything from Waldorf, there are better products and way better companies out there.

I find it a bit harsh to make such a promise for life by judging one single of their products. Maybe you even got unlucky, and got a "rogue car". I read a lot about jumpy encoders on the Blofeld though, so, i guess that's more of a general thing indeed.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the white, and the black model in terms of durability/being issue prone?
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
transmetropolitan
KVRist

214 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Postby transmetropolitan; Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

chk071 wrote:I find it a bit harsh to make such a promise for life by judging one single of their products. Maybe you even got unlucky, and got a "rogue car". I read a lot about jumpy encoders on the Blofeld though, so, i guess that's more of a general thing indeed.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the white, and the black model in terms of durability/being issue prone?

I don't agree with lunat's comments entirely but they aren't unfair... When the Blofeld was released it was very buggy.

Most of the issues were firmware related and have since been fixed. Don't get me wrong, mine still crashes from time to time and I wouldn't describe it as completely rock solid or issue free... But it is much better than when released.

AFAIK there's no difference between the black and white versions beyond colour... I think someone said something about the display on the black version being harder to read?

But yeah... In terms of the hardware it's at least average in terms of build quality. Mine has survived flights and being slung around inside road cases and has never let me down. The firmware was the problem.
lfm
KVRAF

4050 posts since 22 Jan, 2005, from Sweden

Postby lfm; Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

transmetropolitan wrote:AFAIK there's no difference between the black and white versions beyond colour... I think someone said something about the display on the black version being harder to read?

Not quite, it was about contrast and font on panel which was rather thin white on black panel. If comparing to blackish synths fonts were bolder.

White Blo did not suffer so much from that. More like reading text on a white paper. Our eyes adapt better to that.
lunat
KVRer

Postby lunat; Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:44 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

ew wrote:

http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft#blofeld

ew

Thanks, I remember trying it a while ago and it didn't work and had forgotten about it. Maybe now because of new version or whatever it's working, it's really helping. Thx =)

transmetropolitan wrote:

I don't, but Monstrumfeld is an investment that has been well worth it for me, and one I would recommend to others.

I'm gonna stick with the free editor for now but I might consider it if I am not satisfied with the free one. I'd like to avoid spending the bucks :P

chk071 wrote:I find it a bit harsh to make such a promise for life by judging one single of their products. Maybe you even got unlucky, and got a "rogue car". I read a lot about jumpy encoders on the Blofeld though, so, i guess that's more of a general thing indeed.

Well to keep the car analogy:
If you had bought a car from a certain company and the customer service was god awful, not only to you but to other people at the same time for an issue that was the company's fault in the beginning. And if in the next cars released from the same companies you see the same kind of issues, I really don't think you would buy your second car from that same company.

But that's me.
Buckster
KVRist

37 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Postby Buckster; Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

fancy a "proper" hardware synth - have a MOXF - but it doesn't excite me much

Blofeld - now prices are so low - seem a bargain

here in UK looking at about £300 for a desktop and £500 ish for a Keyboard version

would I be right in thinking the keyboard version is prob worth the extra £200 ? especially considering it comes with the SL licence ?

does the keyboard work reasonably well as a midi controller in its own right ?

thanks
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14491 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 pm Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Yes, it is - and keybed is very good quality as well.
deastman
KVRAF

6238 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Jumpy encoders are a common issue. My yellow Q keyboard is the worst. I have to rotate all the encoders about once a month with a cordless drill just to keep them operating smoothly. The Poly Evolver Keyboard has the same problem, which is why DSI offers a very costly upgrade to replace all the encoders with pots.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
Wormhelmet
KVRian

1337 posts since 20 Dec, 2004

Postby Wormhelmet; Fri May 19, 2017 7:28 pm Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

I finally got my Stereoping Qfeld. 16 knobs, very small footprint, three buttons color coded to match the three different colored labels under each knob. Quick two button push to "learn" the channel it's on and it works like a champ giving you 48 knobs (16x3) of labeled control on blofeld parameters. About 2/3 the size of the blofeld desktop synth in footprint.

I was using templates on a bcr2000, but then converted the bcr2000 to a Zaquencer, so I ordered the Qfeld. Pretty awesome to have all controls right there and no menu dive for most functions.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet
Buckster
KVRist

37 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Postby Buckster; Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

EvilDragon wrote:Yes, it is - and keybed is very good quality as well.

thanks for the reply really tempting

slightly annoyed I found Largo boxed new for £100 this morning (I've already a full PC - VST setup (Dune 2, Spire etc) - doesn't do everything the Blofeld does but a lot of and is very cheap - makes decision harder !

mmmm decisions decisions

thanks
chk071
KVRAF

12737 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat May 20, 2017 3:37 am Re: Waldorf Blofeld - Anyone own one?

Largo actually does some things the Blofeld doesn't do too, so, it's a two-sided thing. :) You can see the differences pretty well here: https://modulatethis.com/2011/07/23/wal ... s-blofeld/ and https://www.mindmeister.com/de/10679026 ... tethis-com

I'd actually say Largo does a bit more than Blofeld.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)