Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anything that doesn't have a global fine tune.

Mine is a bit odd. I demoed a bunch of synths and liked what I heard from this one the best, I love having a lot of presets since I am more about tweaking than creating full patches from scratch, but, in the end, I never use Predator and I paid almost full price for it. Most of the patches are just filler. Very weak. They don't inspire me and demand I use them in songs I am working on. Basically the opposite of Spire for me.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

Voice303 wrote:Alchemy is the only one I regret now.
Why it rules and still 64 bit
------------
Name: 4737 bunja sir

https://soundcloud.com/george-bunja-clarkson

I kind of regret buying sylenth1 second hand since it can't be resold but I'm not too bothered. It is sort of a software classic and after a while if they using it I still get surprised by how great it sounds and how versatile it is.

chk071 wrote:They know who they are. :P
+1

Given my recent actions (selling all my VSTs that could be sold, getting Reason 9), I'd say all of them.
But getting Reason was really just for a paradigm change (to an integrated environment, vst support in 9.5 doesn't bother me).
But if I put that aside, I'd say I regret getting:

NI Razor - never got around to actually create some useful patches out of it, mostly just some preset tweaking - guess the additive synthesis isn't my thing, even though I love the gui on this

Cakewalk Z3ta+2 - no matter how I tried, the sound I was able to get out of it was never right. + it's still bugs-a-plenty, and I couldn't even make it work at all after moving Windows --> Mac

I kind of regret jumping on the Waves freebies bandwagon several times - freebies, that I ended using just a few times, had several issues thanks to stupid way Waves uses to install it's plugins, and now I ended up with account with few useless once-freebies that I can't do anything with.

There are probably some more I forgot about

PS: If I were to include some hardware products, then I definitely won't buy anything from Native Instruments and Novation again - they tend to cease support for their stuff too quickly for my taste

I regert buying apple stuff.
I hate apple.

Almost forgot one: my last hardware synth - Korg Triton. (about 15 years ago - selled it about 8-10 years ago)
My greatest mispurchase ever. A terrible, small touch panel (resistive) that was a pain in the ass to use, and an extremely bad menu navigation.
It was exactly the opposite of intuitive and fun to use.
My previous synth (Korg M10) broke, and I wanted something new and cool. I live in a small city, I was young and had no opportunity to test such a thing. At first I was happy and proud about it.
It took a while until I realized, that I should have taken another one...

But with the current quality of software instruments, my awesome 88-keys MIDI-Keyboard and my 27" touch screen, I have no intention to go back to hardware synths.

cakewalk Z3ta..i just cannot get it Registered permanently

Sugar-bytes cyclop

Sonivox the wobble (total shit)

Cube 2

iZotope Breaktweaker
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Predator
Largo
Abynth
Arturia Prophet V
Diversion
Spectral
Organ 3

Not because I don't like 'em, I do, but because I keep going back to HALion. :shrug:

realmarco wrote:iZotope Breaktweaker
Yeah, me, too. Just this morning, though, I started digging into the great samples included and throwing them into Punch (which does the job for me), and for the price I paid a couple of years ago, it was worth it for the samples...I reckon.

Alien 303
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

In order of when I purchased it:

-Rfx Nexus. Way overpriced & inflexible ROMpler. One of these days I should sell it because its in a graveyard on my hard drive.
-Arturia V Collection. None of them sound as good as Diva's modules.
-Reveal Spire. Its not bad, but I never use it in favor of others like Zebra2 or Synthmaster.
-Camel Alchemy. I spent hundreds of dollars on it and sound packages, and then Logic bought it......and I'm a Logic guy so kind of a waste of money.
-FabFilter Twin. I think it was like $30 because I own everything else they do, so whatever.....but it kinda sucks. The concept is good, but the sound is boring, and I expect more from FabFilter.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

Bodhisan wrote:
realmarco wrote:iZotope Breaktweaker
Yeah, me, too. Just this morning, though, I started digging into the great samples included and throwing them into Punch (which does the job for me), and for the price I paid a couple of years ago, it was worth it for the samples...I reckon.
yeah I'm always loading the breaktweaker library inside Nerve, it's quite stellar. program itself doesn't get much use anymore... mainly because it's so poorly optimized. shame really.

Googly Smythe wrote:Organ 3

Not because I don't like 'em, I do, but because I keep going back to HALion. :shrug:
Unfortunately I do not own HALion :(

So I find myself picking up Organ 3 all the time, it is just very diverse piece of programming, that can cover many bases, with a fine broad sound :)

Return to “Instruments”