StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

zerocrossing wrote:.... I can see feeling disappointed about a product, but to think that it has something to do with the developer not wanting a good relationship with their customers... that's a bit narcissistic, don't you think? Maybe the developer just has a different vision of their software than you.
Maybe :)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Hi Lotuzia,
Thanks for the detailed response in regards to the midi out.
I have never been able to make it work in Ableton Live 9 on mac. I would to be able to use this function.
Can you send me a detailed PM maybe or here with instructions on how to make it work on Ableton Live please?
Thanks.

simmo75 wrote:Hi Lotuzia,
I have never been able to make it work in Ableton Live 9 on mac. I would to be able to use this function.
Can you send me a detailed PM maybe or here with instructions on how to make it work on Ableton Live please?
Thanks.
1/ Set the [R,L] locators in your Daw to determine how many bars you want to print in Midi
2/ Arm the 'Midi Export' (=Midi Record) button in StiX ( Located bottom right of the unit near the virtual keyboard)
3/ Press Record in your Daw and play the loop between the locators once.
StiX will export Midi Data on the Daw track

This works in all my hosts (PC WIn 7 64b), but it's reported not working in Logic with Audio Units, as it's impossible in Logic for plugs to export midi data). This is a host limitation, and also a valid reason to possibly implement d'n'd in an uncertain future, if Logic deosn't evolve on these points.

Hope it works OK in Ableton Live.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:a valid reason to possibly implement d'n'd in an uncertain future, if Logic deosn't evolve on these points.
Here in a certain present, many DAW users aren't constantly updating to the latest version. For me Stix is usable as is but would be a lot more useful and inviting with drag and drop. If this is a difficult feature to implement fair enough, but it's clearly a feature of interest to current and potential future users and commensurate with the plugin's scope as a fully featured drum machine.

zerocrossing wrote:I can see feeling disappointed about a product, but to think that it has something to do with the developer not wanting a good relationship with their customers... that's a bit narcissistic, don't you think? Maybe the developer just has a different vision of their software than you.
Not when the word "emulation" is thrown around. So it's a bit narcissistic to say that's narcissistic. :neutral:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:So for Hunterkiller

1/ False : StiX includes a lot of features that were asked by users. It's not storytelling, it's facts, and these facts can be read in this thread and other StiX related threads, here or in other forums. I listened -a lot- to all users requests, and I reported and shared them to/with Xils-Lab, and then ... choices were made. Because a musical instrument can't incude all users requests : Some are conflicting with each others, the global architecture and base paradigms allow to modify certain things, and less, or not at all, other things. Then a musical instrument is -sometimes, and in this case- a global philosophy. As in every philosophical debate, some opinions will diverge. And not 100% of the people who participate in these discussions will be 100% satisfied. It might be obvious, but I have to restate this here because ........

2/ 3 is not a crowd. And Kvr is not the center of the world. And 3 in KVR do not have more authority than 3 everywhere else in the world.
I can see that in KVR everytime sompeone find one or two ranting fellows about one particular subject, it becomes : 'multiple people'. 'we the people' then 'we the truth'. But no, it's still only 3 people lobbying together to get results. This doesn't mean that these people will be ingored, or that their request won't be heard. It means that their requests are listened to, then balanced in a global context (a 'musical instrument'), then some request are satisfied, and other posponed for a possible future, while some are simply rejected.

3/ It's not 'wanting to have 'bad relationship all around them'. ( Wich has barely no sense; both from an humanist or even commercial POV btw). It's simply that some requests are accepted, some others stay at the bottom of the pile. And some others are rejected.

This is my global opinion for all forums, all subjects : 3/5 is not a crowd, and if some people see that their requests are not obeyed to immediatly, like if they were orders, or the expression of 'the truth' (because the crowd is always right, like history tells us, especially when it's such a tiny crowd that they think they represent everybody), it's not because some people want to build a bad relationship with them : It's because they think in a different way, have different priorities, different goals, and, in short, have different opinions. And that's all.

Besides all that, StiX is a very young instrument. Add to that that multiple Xils-Lab instruments have received more than significant updates over time (like Xils3/4/LE). Hope there can be for StiX future. Serious hopes. At least, I have this hope in me.
This is a perfect example of how to not answer customers and start developing bad relationships.
I keep thinking certain plugin developers could benefit from consulting with user/customer experience experts to gain objective customer insight. It's hugely risky for a dev to assume their opinions about the market are in fact true, because these beliefs support a subjective opinion. After all, they wouldn't hire someone with little dev experience to code their plugins. It might add cost to plugins but then the plugin features and functions would align more to customers' needs and expectations.

HunterKiller wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I can see feeling disappointed about a product, but to think that it has something to do with the developer not wanting a good relationship with their customers... that's a bit narcissistic, don't you think? Maybe the developer just has a different vision of their software than you.
Not when the word "emulation" is thrown around. So it's a bit narcissistic to say that's narcissistic. :neutral:
That word does not appear once on the product page.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Lotuzia wrote:
Thanks.
1/ Set the [R,L] locators in your Daw to determine how many bars you want to print in Midi
2/ Arm the 'Midi Export' (=Midi Record) button in StiX ( Located bottom right of the unit near the virtual keyboard)

This works in all my hosts (PC WIn 7 64b), but it's reported not working in Logic with Audio Units, as it's impossible in Logic for plugs to export midi data). This is a host limitation, and also a valid reason to possibly implement d'n'd in an uncertain future, if Logic deosn't evolve on these points.

Hi Lotuzia,

It doesn't work in Ableton Live 9.7.2 on mac os sierra.

plexuss wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:So for Hunterkiller

1/ False : StiX includes a lot of features that were asked by users. It's not storytelling, it's facts, and these facts can be read in this thread and other StiX related threads, here or in other forums. I listened -a lot- to all users requests, and I reported and shared them to/with Xils-Lab, and then ... choices were made. Because a musical instrument can't incude all users requests : Some are conflicting with each others, the global architecture and base paradigms allow to modify certain things, and less, or not at all, other things. Then a musical instrument is -sometimes, and in this case- a global philosophy. As in every philosophical debate, some opinions will diverge. And not 100% of the people who participate in these discussions will be 100% satisfied. It might be obvious, but I have to restate this here because ........

2/ 3 is not a crowd. And Kvr is not the center of the world. And 3 in KVR do not have more authority than 3 everywhere else in the world.
I can see that in KVR everytime sompeone find one or two ranting fellows about one particular subject, it becomes : 'multiple people'. 'we the people' then 'we the truth'. But no, it's still only 3 people lobbying together to get results. This doesn't mean that these people will be ingored, or that their request won't be heard. It means that their requests are listened to, then balanced in a global context (a 'musical instrument'), then some request are satisfied, and other posponed for a possible future, while some are simply rejected.

3/ It's not 'wanting to have 'bad relationship all around them'. ( Wich has barely no sense; both from an humanist or even commercial POV btw). It's simply that some requests are accepted, some others stay at the bottom of the pile. And some others are rejected.

This is my global opinion for all forums, all subjects : 3/5 is not a crowd, and if some people see that their requests are not obeyed to immediatly, like if they were orders, or the expression of 'the truth' (because the crowd is always right, like history tells us, especially when it's such a tiny crowd that they think they represent everybody), it's not because some people want to build a bad relationship with them : It's because they think in a different way, have different priorities, different goals, and, in short, have different opinions. And that's all.

Besides all that, StiX is a very young instrument. Add to that that multiple Xils-Lab instruments have received more than significant updates over time (like Xils3/4/LE). Hope there can be for StiX future. Serious hopes. At least, I have this hope in me.
This is a perfect example of how to not answer customers and start developing bad relationships.
I keep thinking certain plugin developers could benefit from consulting with user/customer experience experts to gain objective customer insight. It's hugely risky for a dev to assume their opinions about the market are in fact true, because these beliefs support a subjective opinion. After all, they wouldn't hire someone with little dev experience to code their plugins. It might add cost to plugins but then the plugin features and functions would align more to customers' needs and expectations.
In a lot of ways, that's what we did (consulting, listenting, then implementing some requests, and delaying some other requests, or just not approving them)

Just a note : I primarily designed StiX to be an extra-ordinary drum machine with a new vision of drum synthesis, a new vision of an XoX sequencer, and also a complete new vision of the interactions between all those core components. Not based on opinions on the market, but based on decades of experience with drums, drum machines, and electronic instruments. StiX offers many never seen features, and in the same time, *I* find that these features are highly musical (ymmv). It's not perfect, and I hope it will continue to evolve, because I have a lot of new ideas about it. Don't forget as well that the discussions are also active and passionate in the labs as well. So the discussions are everywhere, and not only between entities like 'the developpers', and the 'users', both seen as a whole.

In the end, you're however right : development time = money = ROI are also - afundamental- part of the global panorama. We try to find the best balance between all that. It's not easy, and it's alsmot certain that some things/percentages will be lost during all these translations.

What's left in the end is StiX, and it's future. It will evolve, and currently, we have initiated a new bug fix round wich should fix some problems, like moving existing hits after changing the number of beats in the n*beat page.

simmo75 wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
Thanks.

Hi Lotuzia,

Sorry for that :( . Can someone confirm that it works in Live windows with VST versions ? Or not ?
Seems (at first view only) to be a structural specific host limitation, like Logic with Audio Units, ie Live not beeing able to record midi data from a plug in, but we'd like to be sure if it's the same in all Live versions (Pc/Mac) etc. So, if somebody can shed some light on this, please feel free to comment.

zerocrossing wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:
That word does not appear once on the product page.
This :shrug:

simmo75 wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
Thanks.

Hi Lotuzia,

It's not clear if it's a problem you're having specific with Stix, or that you're simply not aware how you can record midi out from a VST in Live.

Live is perfectly capable of doing that btw (with VST's that is).

BDeep wrote:
simmo75 wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
Thanks.

Hi Lotuzia,

It's not clear if it's a problem you're having specific with Stix, or that you're simply not aware how you can record midi out from a VST in Live.

Live is perfectly capable of doing that btw (with VST's that is).
Could well be the issue here... Maybe you can shed some light? I'm fine when using step sequencers etc, I manage to send the midi to another midi track just fine, but Stix doesn't appear to want to send the midi from its internal sequencer to another midi track? I also tried Lotuzia's suggestion with no luck.

That's weird. In Live you have to send it (like you said) to another Midi track.
Just to be sure:
- Create new midi track
In the i/o menu of the new midi track
- select the track with Stix in the first box under "Midi From"
- select Stix in the second box (it's after pre and post fx)
- and you should be able to record Stix output in the Midi channel

Make sure you use the VST version of Stix and not the AU one.

Btw, this is generic for Live. If this doesn't work then I'm afraid it's something with Stix and I can't help (I don't own it so can't test it).

Good luck :)

Thank BDeep, I appreciate your help.
That is exactly the method I've been trying, like Tiu said, it works everything else so it's probably a Stix issue.

Return to “Instruments”