VPS Avenger - Sound Design Tricks

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The samples in the impulse reverb, and samples that have been added with the file browser, will be saved within the preset - keep that in mind, long samples will make your presets much larger! A preset that has no embedded samples is usually only around 32kb.

OSC samples that come from a package - such as the factory samples - will not be embedded, and hence will not increase the preset file size.

The samples in the impulse reverb, and samples that have been added with the file browser, will be saved within the preset - keep that in mind, long samples will make your presets much larger! A preset that has no embedded samples is usually only around 32kb.

OSC samples that come from a package - such as the factory samples - will not be embedded, and hence will not increase the preset file size.

I am kind of new in the synthsis world and i have vps avenger and i have quetion about the analog world and the new advanced digital synhsis . as the litlle bit i can write both of them i understood that in analog you don't know where it will take you and it's not limited by a programmer. BUT now In recent years we see nothing we seen before in digital syntsis , like you can draw shapes , import osc shapes waveforms and much more .
is it new age of analog killer?

michaelbrac wrote:in analog you don't know where it will take you and it's not limited by a programmer
Analog subtractive hardware synths are - in my opinion - very limited beasts compared to digital flagship synths or VA digital synths such as the Virus. Unless you spend a fortune on a modular system (which usually gives you one one voice and no preset management!) there is some limitation in the sonic ground they can cover, and hence you pretty much know where you are going to be with some experience.

They are, however, much loved for their immediate access (usually one knob, one function) and the richness of their basic sound, which is influenced by individual variations in tuning of each voice and harmonic distortion. Not even their envelopes behave the same depending on how fast you press the keys. Everything seems to live and change, none the least with the temperature.

As such, there is room for both even today. I prefer the convenience of digital, where I can have a lot of the sonics of analog without having to carry around a lot of hardware. But I understand why people love their monosynths, modulars or 80s monster polysynths.

For learning synthesis, a digital synth that immitates a simple analog polysynth is ideal - that is 2 OSCs, a Filter, 2 Envs and an LFO are enough for a lot of experimentation already. Your Avenger is way beyond that, if you feel intimidated, there are free synths available (such as TAL Noisemaker) where staring out is quite easy.

That's a good thread, it would be great if some masters share some of their techniks (Manuel, Sendy, 3ee, Simmon, justin3am,Hollow... sorry if i forget someone)-relate to Avenger or general sound design-

It's not a real tricks, but i like to play with the fm at free freq. and draw my modulator shape-in lfo user shapes- some greats things can be archive.(it's a specific Avenger thing for me)
another tips, a future obsolete trick, a kind of fake granular synthesis, assign an very fast arp to an sample osc-it can be with free space- adjust the Amp env-like a granular windowing or grain env, put some release-put one lfo-trig to 1st midi note-to modulate the sample start- at every arp notes, the sample position will move-with this method, you can simulate the grain size, the density....don't forget to adjust the polyphony count, and to moduale the speed of the arp, lfo freq, offset,amount...
another: but it could works in another synth/fx, in the delay fx, modulate- with a mono source- the shift rate
another: -a Simmon trick- draw a little little env could create some nice sideband effect, mod at audiorate,eg the fine tune.
another: Resampling some of your heavy cpu presets , and add another layer of what you want....
to have a noise, mute the osc with the gain osc and add the noise Volume, color...
my major tricks : Learn from the existing presets and apply all your "classic" synthesis tips and trick to this superb synth ! and don't forget, you can modulate, not to fast, the macro knobs too ! :)

kokotte wrote:That's a good thread, it would be great if some masters share some of their techniks (Manuel, Sendy, 3ee, Simmon, justin3am,Hollow... sorry if i forget someone)-relate to Avenger or general sound design-

It's not a real tricks, but i like to play with the fm at free freq. and draw my modulator shape-in lfo user shapes- some greats things can be archive.(it's a specific Avenger thing for me)
EDIT : another tips, a future obsolete trick, a kind of fake granular synthesis, assign an very fast arp to an sample osc-it can be with free space- adjust the Amp env-like a granular windowing or grain env, put some release-put one lfo-trig to osc2-to modulate the sample start( osc2 doesn't have an arp)-with this method, you can simulate the grain size, the density....don't forget to adjust the polyphony count, and to modulate the speed of the arp, lfo freq, offset,amount...i made a quick preset here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6cdv7kbqh5sw ... .avgr?dl=0
another: but it could works in another synth/fx, in the delay fx, modulate- with a mono source- the shift rate
another: -a Simmon trick- draw a little little env could create some nice sideband effect, mod at audiorate,eg the fine tune.
another: Resampling some of your heavy cpu presets , and add another layer of what you want....
to have a noise, mute the osc with the gain osc and add the noise Volume, color...
my major tricks : Learn from the existing presets and apply all your "classic" synthesis tips and trick to this superb synth ! and don't forget, you can modulate, not to fast, the macro knobs too ! :)

Interesting!

Keep em coming....

kokotte wrote:osc2 doesn't have an arp
Thanks for adding tipps.

I have to admit that I did not get all in your explanation, but this one sticks out: OSC 2 has an arp! You have to add/set the arp in the routing. Not only that, OSC2 can have a different arp than Osc 1 (one of 8 actually), and be modulated by, let's say, the velocity of a third arp if you want to.

The arps are what I like most in Avenger, as you have more than one, you can create polyrythmic sequences... I always wanted that within synths.

in my fake granular, osc 2 doesn t have an arp for let the start sample modulation trig in osc1 independante, the voice in osc 1 is retrig with the arp.

Hello,

instead of more tricks, I thought I could share a first set of patches. I have put all my current patches for Avenger into one user library and published it both here at KVR and at Audiobombs:

http://www.audiobombs.com/items/1479/za ... ps-avenger

The bank contains 98 patches, 37 wavetables and 18 waveforms. I use these for my own projects, some of the stuff is experimental and might have little or no use for what you humans call music :wink:

Here is a bit of an example, all presets except drums are Avenger:

https://soundcloud.com/zabong/dark-side ... ps-avenger

If you like the soundset (did I say it: it is FREE!) drop a note at the track above so that I can link with you.

Best,

K

Todays's tipp: When designing a drum sound or organ, an additional attack "klick" noise can simply be made by setting the micro-fade of the waveform to zero and playing with the phase of the waveform.

This is very nice for kicks and toms, they cut better through the mix with some additional energy in the attack, and with the micro-fade, you do not need an additional oscillator just for this.

Another One:

Static Noise + FFT Random + Rate Reduce + FM = All the metallic noises you will ever need for Hihats and Percussion.

Static noise can be tuned, this creates an insane variation of sounds even without using a filter.

Next: Use one of these, apply powerchord in the voice section's chorder presets, detune = Here comes the cowbells.

ZaBong69 wrote:Another One:

Static Noise + FFT Random + Rate Reduce + FM = All the metallic noises you will ever need for Hihats and Percussion.

Static noise can be tuned, this creates an insane variation of sounds even without using a filter.

Next: Use one of these, apply powerchord in the voice section's chorder presets, detune = Here comes the cowbells.
Nice, i will try it,
thanks

You can build your own complex delay networks by sending two identical copies of one OSC each into their own delays. Use two AMPs to pan the OSC, and use two FX paths where you set a different delay for each Path.

Try combining the various delays... there is a lot of varation possible here.

I'm new to Avenger but so far one of my tricks is to layer Low pass filters with either the same envelope or similar, similar cutoff frequencies and adjust resonance and distortion to taste.
I find this gives me more characterful filter sounds than the standard filters alone.
I also use the LP section of the FFT for this (a lot)
Envelope shapes are also important so don't forget to adjust the inner ring of attack delay to taste.

I also love the vspeed/vdepth controls in the fft section. What a great synth

Return to “Instruments”