Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

ghettosynth wrote:parent was talking about being able to make non-analog sounding synths sound analog with an EQ. I'm not looking to chew on you friend, I take offense at your language. Go read what I wrote a few posts ago.

1) Fluffy suggested EQ was a synth equalizer
2) 9 said, well, except for dynamic issues
3) I said dynamic issues are almost everything
4) dragon quoted me for "truth"
5) Fluffy quoted me to say that he could make A sound like B with an EQ.
6) I said that's a bandaid, not a cure
7) You asked what was the problem that needed a cure
8) I told you and used the word "you" in a general sense, not meaning "you", but referring to previous comments in the thread.

I think that you're being defensive here for no reason. Honestly, I should have just ignored your post because it was pretty clear that you hadn't read the thread.
I did read the thread, so what you thought was clear, you were actually mistaken about. Perhaps you are not as clear as you think you are. And maybe it would be a friendlier conversation if you left some room for something besides yourself.

pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:parent was talking about being able to make non-analog sounding synths sound analog with an EQ. I'm not looking to chew on you friend, I take offense at your language. Go read what I wrote a few posts ago.

1) Fluffy suggested EQ was a synth equalizer
2) 9 said, well, except for dynamic issues
3) I said dynamic issues are almost everything
4) dragon quoted me for "truth"
5) Fluffy quoted me to say that he could make A sound like B with an EQ.
6) I said that's a bandaid, not a cure
7) You asked what was the problem that needed a cure
8) I told you and used the word "you" in a general sense, not meaning "you", but referring to previous comments in the thread.

I think that you're being defensive here for no reason. Honestly, I should have just ignored your post because it was pretty clear that you hadn't read the thread.
I did read the thread, so what you thought was clear, you were actually mistaken about. Perhaps you are not as clear as you think you are. And maybe it would be a friendlier conversation if you left some room for something besides yourself.
Dude, you're the only one here being unfriendly. I didn't call you an attack dog even though you jumped down my throat based on your own misunderstanding. You asked a question, I gave you an answer, if the context wasn't clear, trying asking instead of name calling. If you read the thread and didn't get it from that conversation, then you haven't exactly bought yourself any room to be so unfriendly.

I'm not interested in having a conversation about my conversation style, ok? You don't like it. you know where to find the foe button. I'm here to talk about plugins. If you find yourself talking to me about your perception of how I talk about plugins, then the problem is with you, not me.

Damn, I wish EQ was the solution to every problem with the sound coming from a VSTi.

I'd use Synth1 and Fabfilter Q2 and be done with it.

wagtunes wrote:Damn, I wish EQ was the solution to every problem with the sound coming from a VSTi.

I'd use Synth1 and Fabfilter Q2 and be done with it.

Right ?!?

Yeah, pretty much. EQ is not a solution for everything, since it's a fixed, stationary thing. It cannot change how the topology of a particular filter in a particular synth behaves!

Getting back to Hive specifically, I have to say I'm stunned at my results from yesterday.

Hive is going to be my worst selling library hands down.

Now I know a lot of people knock my sound design skills and that's fine. But you can't knock some and not all. And some of my libraries sell like mad. Zebra 2, another U-he synth, is my 5th best selling library beat out only by Serum, Softube Modular, Falcon and Omnisphere, in that order. Softube Modular surprises the hell out of me considering how many problems there are with it, not the least of which is no internal browser and no way to load 3rd party sounds on some DAWs unless they're in a specific format, which I don't make. Hell, I even have to have big red letters on the sales page warning people that this library may not work and it still sells off the racks. Eventually, it will catch Serum and surpass it.

Now, you want to say Hive was a disaster because it's easy to program?

Sorry, that argument doesn't wash because The Legend, which has all of 3 freaking knobs, is my 11th best selling synth and climbing. This is out of 45 libraries.

Conclusion? Hive don't sell all that well.

Guess as to why? People perceive it as trying to be the "Sylenth1 Killer" that a lot of folks here were making it out to be and ultimately, people prefer Sylenth1, which I don't own and have no plans to get anytime soon. I don't think that'll sell well simply because of all the free libraries there are to download.

Am I surprised? Considering I've never had a U-he synth that did this poorly (even Repro-1, a mono synth did fairly well) yeah, I'm stunned. In fact, I don't believe the numbers I'm seeing. Hell, KarmaFX, which is maybe owned by a dozen people, if that, sells better than Hive.

Having said all that, I find nothing to complain about as far as how Hive sounds. It has its use. I will use it for a lot of my EDM tracks. I may even use it for other things. It certainly doesn't sound like a "crappy" synth.

But it sure sells like one.

Good then we have that cleared up as well :lol:

wagtunes wrote: Conclusion? Hive don't sell all that well. Guess as to why?
Yes, majority of people that need& buy your banks don't use Hive that much and rest don't like your bank for it, simple as that.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Yes, majority of people that need& buy your banks don't use Hive that much and rest don't like your bank for it, simple as that.
Then why do similar synths like Dune 2 and Spire do so much better?

wagtunes wrote:
Zexila wrote:
majority of people that need& buy your banks don't use (insert synth name here) that much and rest don't like your bank for it, simple as that.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Urs wrote:Good then we have that cleared up as well :lol:
Urs, I love your stuff. I'm one of your best customers. I own every synth you've made.

I guarantee you that if you put my Zebra 2 bank and my Hive bank up on your site, my Zebra 2 bank would outsell my Hive bank 10 to 1.

Wanna take me up on my offer and prove me wrong?

Zexila wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Zexila wrote:
majority of people that need& buy your banks don't use (insert synth name here) that much and rest don't like your bank for it, simple as that.
Well then with all things being equal, considering I've made 45 different banks for 45 different synths (actually more if you count package libraries) then Hive must be the worst selling of all those synths since all my customers don't use it and yet seem to use everything else.

wagtunes wrote:Well then with all things being equal, considering I've made 45 different banks for 45 different synths (actually more if you count package libraries) then Hive must be the worst selling of all those synths since all my customers don't use it and yet seem to use everything else.
No, it just means your customers don't use it that much and other users of it don't dig your work for it, let's not make something more out of your personal selling numbers than it is really, it's not showcasing anything else than this. Sorry for bad English.

Think Urs said it's selling good for him, that's more relevant number than who buys your banks for it.
Last edited by Zexila on Tue May 23, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:I guarantee you that if you put my Zebra 2 bank and my Hive bank up on your site, my Zebra 2 bank would outsell my Hive bank 10 to 1.

Wanna take me up on my offer and prove me wrong?
Nice try, but I'm sure it would be bad for U-He's sales :hihi:

Zexila wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well then with all things being equal, considering I've made 45 different banks for 45 different synths (actually more if you count package libraries) then Hive must be the worst selling of all those synths since all my customers don't use it and yet seem to use everything else.
No, it just means your customers don't use it that much and other users of it don't dig your work for it, let's not make something more out of your personal selling numbers than it is really, it's not showcasing anything else than this. Sorry for bad English.
Except it's not that simple.

Hypothetically, company A makes synth X. Only sells 1 unit. But the person who buys it loves the sounds I made for it. So I sell 1 library. I've sold to 100% of the customers who bought that synth and yet it's my worst selling library, only selling 1 copy.

Now, company B makes synth Y. It sells like crazy. They sell 50,000 units. I make a library but only sell to 1% of the people who bought the synth. That's still 500 banks sold and my best selling synth by miles. Yet, only 1% of the customers liked my library.

Now do you understand why it's not as simple as you're making it out to be? Sales figures absolutely figure in to how well or poorly a library sells.

Return to “Instruments”