Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

wagtunes wrote:So then how does one determine the weight of each factor or is that an impossibility?
Across the spectrum of end-users? Unpossible.

And it'll vary from one synth to another anyway.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The problem is EDM is an algorithm. It's a formulae, and Hive is a creative instrument. EDM kids don't know what to do with it. Hive needs a better GUI as well. I like the set up, I really do, it's the color scheme that needs an update IMO. A lot of kids forget that Hive has multiple engines and that includes a "clean" engine. If you take most of the presets and switch it over to "clean" it removes most of the grit. I don't view Hive as a Sylenth OR a Virus, I view it as a jupiter 8 and I use it that way. JMO, I got to get out of this thread. SMH

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So then how does one determine the weight of each factor or is that an impossibility?
Across the spectrum of end-users? Unpossible.

And it'll vary from one synth to another anyway.
So then how does one go about analyzing results to determine what went "wrong" so that the next attempt is more successful? Or is this all literally just a crap shoot?

wagtunes wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote: All possible. But doesn't this apply to every synth out there?
Its not a single 'this', its a list of them, and yes, they all apply to every synth out there; differently. They all apply differently to all synths out there.
Yes, there are many different variables
Thats my point; you were trying to present it as a function of one single variable. And you're still trying to do so despite having been told authoritively that the sales of Hive are better than you're claiming they 'should' be.
When your theory is at odds with the facts, its time to revisit the theory.
but having a sample size of 45 different libraries (not a small size) and seeing drastic reduction of numbers between Hive and every other library, isn't the likelihood of all those variables going against me very small?
No; you're basically claiming that the contribution of the single factor you have focussed on is more important than the sum of the contributions of all the others. However that's an unwarranted assumption.

Like I say, Urs has stated that the logical conclusion of your theory does not fit the actual facts. So your theory is wrong, and that is almost certainly because other factors that you are trivialising or ignoring are more important than you acknowledge.
So then how does one determine the weight of each factor or is that an impossibility?
Given that you as a sound set seller only have certain limited types of data, it's impossible. You'd need more data, much of it qualitative, like "what genres do you produce most with X synth?"

So then what do other sound designers do?

They just take a guess?

Not a very scientific way to run a business.

Dasheesh wrote:Hive needs a better GUI as well. I like the set up, I really do, it's the color scheme that needs an update IMO.
When I first saw Hive as a screenshot I thought it has the best GUI of all u-He synths. I like the hexagon very much and the colors as well. To me the blue implies technology and a clean sound. It is modern and not cluttered. I can understand the u-He customer base doesn't like it that much. They probably got used to the "oldfashioned" hardware 3d style. I can tell you some of my friends discoverd u-He just because of Hive.

wagtunes wrote:So then how does one go about analyzing results to determine what went "wrong" so that the next attempt is more successful?
Well, how does one go about analyzing results to determine what went 'wrong' when the only datum you have is 'total sales' in the first place?

(Answer : you cant.)
Or is this all literally just a crap shoot?
Unless you're actually acquiring more information than sales figures, yes it absolutely is.
The more useful and relevant information you collect, the more you mitigate that. Marketing is about knowing the customer base, potential and actual.

nineofkings wrote:You'd need more data, much of it qualitative, like "what genres do you produce most with X synth?"
Exactly.

wagtunes wrote:So then what do other sound designers do?

They just take a guess?

you ask a question and answer it with an assumption, I think other designers like all companies do best when they listen to their potential customers and current customers. That kind of requires more listening than talking and you might be shooting yourself in the foot in some of these threads. TBH when I read your posts I expected more from your words but as I listen to your samples I'm underwhelmed.

It's a fine line, if you build yourself up too high you better be able to deliver ten fold or it might be disappointing. It can be quite relative on several levels and you're in a very competitive business. In this case, no offense intended, based on your demo and even at the introductory price I would rather buy one of the other sets on the u-he site that sell for 1-10 dollars more than your package. Better presentation all around and imo better sounding.

There was just nothing on your demos that made say I even wanted to pay the 15 dollars, nothing grabbed me. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Great. Another thread about wags.

BDeep wrote:Great. Another thread about wags.

:D
바보

DPhil wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Hive needs a better GUI as well. I like the set up, I really do, it's the color scheme that needs an update IMO.
When I first saw Hive as a screenshot I thought it has the best GUI of all u-He synths. I like the hexagon very much and the colors as well. To me the blue implies technology and a clean sound. It is modern and not cluttered. I can understand the u-He customer base doesn't like it that much. They probably got used to the "oldfashioned" hardware 3d style. I can tell you some of my friends discoverd u-He just because of Hive.

well, to me the electric blue looks old, dated, last decade, and cheap. I find it hard to look at. You can do better. Hive needs something more emotive and modern and creative color wise. It needs beauty. The orange is is just... blah..... stop the orange already, might as well just say flat out you give up.

Look, if you wanted to make a sylenth competitor you have to make a Sylenth clone. What that group wants is Sylenth. They are willing to pop on another Sylenth, but it has to be built to fit into their sylenth tracks. TBH Hive is more SUNSYN then Sylenth, and OBXD is more Sylenth then Hive. As soon as they saw Hive taking on a life of it's own they should have distanced themselves from the Sylenth/Virus thing. Hive needs an adjustable color like Diva has. I want the adjustable color layout of Diva. That would make me chits and giggles.

wagtunes wrote:There is one other thing that, with the exception of Hive, all my worst selling libraries have in common.

They are hardly ever discussed here. Trying to find threads on those synths is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

So there is no question that popularity does come into play, which again, is why my Hive sales are so surprising. I figured if it's a U-he synth, it'll sell.

Obviously, in that regard, I was wrong.
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but your presets just don't seem professional enough. I would not put them on my site if I were U-he. People here don't talk about them because they are not really worth talking about. Several people have tried to tell you repeatedly and usually in rather friendly and subtle ways.

Look at what renowned sound designers such as Hollo do, it is just another league, sorry to say that. Maybe it would make more sense for you to write less on KVR - most of which is in vain anyway as you will sooner or later discover - and spend the extra time on increasing the quality of your patches instead. If you want to sell something, it needs to be of a certain quality. It is not like throwing some free patches into the crowd because you don't have anything else to do.

Hink wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So then what do other sound designers do?

They just take a guess?

you ask a question and answer it with an assumption, I think other designers like all companies do best when they listen to their potential customers and current customers. That kind of requires more listening than talking and you might be shooting yourself in the foot in some of these threads. TBH when I read your posts I expected more from your words but as I listen to your samples I'm underwhelmed.

It's a fine line, if you build yourself up too high you better be able to deliver ten fold or it might be disappointing. It can be quite relative on several levels and you're in a very competitive business. In this case, no offense intended, based on your demo and even at the introductory price I would rather buy one of the other sets on the u-he site that sell for 1-10 dollars more than your package. Better presentation all around and imo better sounding.

There was just nothing on your demos that made say I even wanted to pay the 15 dollars, nothing grabbed me. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth :shrug:
Thanks for the feedback. But isn't "better" sounding a subjective thing? I mean look at all the threads we have comparing two synths with half the people saying synth A sounds better than synth B and even going as far as saying synth B sounds "bad."

I love Zebra 2. Know how many people here, and even in this very thread that has nothing to do with Zebra 2, say it sounds dull?

So much of this is so subjective that I sometimes wonder how synth designers even venture into this business with any "certainty" at all.

Return to “Instruments”