Is plugin market going up?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Discuss
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

=!(is plugin market going down)

well, it's saturated and we're drowning in offers. anyway, one company of midi loops has a wonderful marketing strategy and sends a newsletter, where they provide you with the information, they'll raise the price of two midi libraries soon permantently; so it will be the last chance for their valued customers to get them for the original price. thank you for the warning, dear company! vroom vroom ... harhar.
"It dreamed itself along"

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:=!(is plugin market going down)
Ever decreasing numbers of customers will agree to pay an increasing amount of money for more and more limited features. It will be a great time to be an innovator in a more nascent market, where being last will matter most. No one expect plugins to be absurdly discounted all the time anymore.
Customers also get younger over time, to the point there is a risk if they stop being solvent.

Get the full reverse analysis on our website, in our freely downloadable black paper.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Excellent reply! :tu:

Up and down at the same time.

:hihi:

I think its going sideways ... :ud:

... or backwards.

I think the expansion in plugins for tablets and smartphones probably means the market is going up, but profits are going down because of the lower prices (or to different developers).
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue May 23, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I think the expansion in plugins for tablets and smartphones probably means the market is going up, but profits are going down because of the lower prices.
That's actually a good point. :)

Mobile is just a platform, ihmo the impact on prices is negligible. The reason something is expensive is (usually) because the development costs are very high. A different platform does not change this. Suppose mobile apps really influenced the prices of desktop apps, the consequence would be that commercial desktop apps would just become extinct. Right now this is clearly not the case, there is still plenty of high-priced applications, plugins, games etc being developed.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

e@rs wrote:Up and down at the same time.
a == !a

Richard_Synapse wrote:Mobile is just a platform, ihmo the impact on prices is negligible. The reason something is expensive is (usually) because the development costs are very high. A different platform does not change this. Suppose mobile apps really influenced the prices of desktop apps, the consequence would be that commercial desktop apps would just become extinct. Right now this is clearly not the case, there is still plenty of high-priced applications, plugins, games etc being developed.

Richard
True and i hope it will have a good future (hello Dune 3).
But it´s sometimes strange that i get these days apps which are on par with expensive desktop tools for 1/10 or so of the price. How can they make money with it if these apps needs the same amount of work.
So while i like all my expensive plug-ins i think twice to buy them these days because of that.
I´m sure i´m not the only one.
I still don´t know if that´s a good thing.
I could bet it could be a hard time in some years for desktop plug-ins (especially synths).

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”