Synth specialized in (white / pink) noise sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Noisetar

As mentioned, Falcon has a good variety of noise sources. Alchemy comes to mind aswell.
Hadn't seen the sweep machine product before, might be the perfect solution.
Also Bazille as mentioned would suit well. Maybe the most versatile of them all.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Thanks for your suggestions. There's certainly a lot of capable synths for noise making. Especially with more diverse types of noise. I'm going to have to make some time to try most of these out.

Serum is great yes, but i'm shooting for something lighter on cpu. Possibly more dedicated to just noise. I'm experimenting with Massive too.

Falcon, Arcsyn and the sweep machine look interesting.

Some options from me:
I've been using uTonic, really fun and great sounds, but a bit limited for things i want to do.
And ofcourse, xoxos has some fun noise-like synths too.

I love ArcSyn's noise sources, especially the tuned noise, plus you can get all sorts of odd noise by using the various filter types, like aliasing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I love ArcSyn's noise sources, especially the tuned noise, plus you can get all sorts of odd noise by using the various filter types, like aliasing.
Reading through the list of available oscillator/filter types and damn, that thing is comprehensive! Interesting to see there's a dedicated osc type involving a sine wave with its pitch being modulated by a noise source. It's probably my favourite sound available in all 'classic' analogue-like synthesis. It's the first thing I try in any synth - a noise source very slightly modulating the cutoff of a self-oscillating filter, or the pitch of a sine wave if the filter doesn't self-osc.

Bazille was mentioned earlier, and it excels at that sound given that it allows you to filter and transform the noise before it modulates anything. And the filters sound incredible in self-osc so you've got a great base to actually modulate.

I appreciate OP isn't really asking for tips and tricks here, but using noise purely as a means of modulating the pitch of a usually 'tonal' sound is definitely a technique I recommend that opens up a lot of new noise textures, from all-out devastation and risers (e.g., morphing from pure sine to thunderous noise by gradually increasing the modulation amount) to ever so slightly 'roughening' your synth's basic (sine/saw/etc) oscillator character. Mentioning as maybe OP already owns some synths that are capable of this.

Another vote for ArcSyn. Nothing I've played beats it for noisy weirdness.

From the ArcSyn manual:
http://www.spcplugins.com/arcsyn-manual-osc-waves

61. WHITE NOISE
ArcSyn's white noise has 32 bit precision, is 4X oversampled, level-compensated and even anti-aliased! No SHAPE adjustment.

62. PINK NOISE
High quality pink noise. Pink noise has equal energy per octave so is less bright and more "natural" sounding than white noise. Useful for classical synthesised surf and wind noises. No SHAPE adjustment.

63. RED NOISE
Deep, rumbling noise with a lot of low end and a slightly grainy character. No SHAPE adjustment.

64. VIOLET NOISE
'Differentiated' white noise. A bright, thin noise with very little low end. No SHAPE adjustment.

65. 1-BIT NOISE
Noise which randomly flips between +1 and -1 at the oscillator pitch. Produces a grainy, 'digital' noise character like an old arcade machine or 80's computer sound chip. No SHAPE adjustment.

66. BITWRAP NOISE*
Complicated digital-sounding aliasing noise produced by wrapping 8 counters which run much faster than the oscillator pitch. The fact that the counters go in and out of step with each other produces a constantly-shifting tone and level in the resulting noise.

67. LINEAR NOISE
Soft, pitched digital noise produced by sampling white noise at the oscillator pitch then connecting the samples together with straight lines, somewhat like a 'random triangle wave'. No SHAPE adjustment.

68. TUNED NOISE*
A SINE wave oscillator frequency-modulated by LINEAR NOISE. The SHAPE control adjusts the depth of pitch modulation. Even when set to 0% there is still some modulation to avoid the resulting sound turning into a plain SINE wave.

69. BIT PATTERN* [32]
Semi-random waveforms which use digital bit-manipulating techniques to produce complicated 8 bit patterns of varying length based on the basic oscillator pitch. These waveforms are fully anti-aliased. As they divide the oscillator pitch down many times, they usually sound more 'musical' in higher octaves. setting the oscillator pitch to +2, +3 or +4 is often a good idea.

70. CHAOTIC NOISE*
Noise produced using a variation on the Lorenz chaotic formula. It has a pitched element which follows the oscillator pitch but also a noisy element. Higher SHAPE settings produce a harsher noise.

71. CRACKLE NOISE*
Noise with a 'digital' character which sounds like a crackling noise at low SHAPE settings and white noise at high settings.

72. DIGITAL NOISE*
Noise with a 'digital' character which is similar to the classic 'VCO modulated by a random sample-and-hold' patch at low SHAPE settings and white noise at high settings.

Speaking of Bazille and it's noise possibilities, I just put up this which may give you a mere impression of whats possible, from my view of interpretation.

https://soundcloud.com/leap-into-the-vo ... c-artefact
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Damn this forum. Now I'm gonna have to get ArcSyn.

Until literally just last week, Massive was always my go-to synth for white/brown/pink noise effects due to its noise OSC and being so easy to program. But last week I needed some pure/unfiltered white noise for something and noticed that Massive's white noise OSC has a distinct repeating glitch in it like every couple of seconds, as if it's just a looped sample. It was actually very distracting once I noticed it. I ended up doing what I needed to do in uHe Zebra, since it has a couple of built-in noise OSCs. Not exactly the easiest synth to program though, but was quick enough for my work.

But ArcSyn looks pretty nice. How's the preset browsing/auditioning experience?

UltimateOutsider wrote:Damn this forum. Now I'm gonna have to get ArcSyn.

Until literally just last week, Massive was always my go-to synth for white/brown/pink noise effects due to its noise OSC and being so easy to program. But last week I needed some pure/unfiltered white noise for something and noticed that Massive's white noise OSC has a distinct repeating glitch in it like every couple of seconds, as if it's just a looped sample. It was actually very distracting once I noticed it. I ended up doing what I needed to do in uHe Zebra, since it has a couple of built-in noise OSCs. Not exactly the easiest synth to program though, but was quick enough for my work.

But ArcSyn looks pretty nice. How's the preset browsing/auditioning experience?
ArcSyn is a cakewalk to use. I prefer the alternate skin to the default skin but that's just a personal preference as I find it easier on the eyes. I forget who it was who designed the alternate skin but maybe they'll pop in here and say hello.

ArcSyn patches are folder based. Just create a folder and save in there. Super easy.

pheeleep wrote:You might want to demo Air music technology The Riser. It has a noise oscillator.

Yeah, especially if you're more interested in the effects aspect. Riser is really convenient to use. I use it quite a bit even though I don't use "risers" at all.

ghettosynth wrote:
pheeleep wrote:You might want to demo Air music technology The Riser. It has a noise oscillator.

Yeah, especially if you're more interested in the effects aspect. Riser is really convenient to use. I use it quite a bit even though I don't use "risers" at all.
Isn't there also a Riser that was made for Kontakt?

SigGen from Dead Duck is very simple and free ...
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2801
or download the effects bundle from the developers site ...
http://deadducksoftware.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Isn't there also a Riser that was made for Kontakt?
I wouldn't know. I don't use those kinds of sounds so I've never been in the market for such a synth. I only have The Riser because it came with my AIR bundle. It surprised me how much I like to use it but I don't use it in the traditional way that people typically use risers. I use as many "Really Slow Fallers", "Stay the Samers", or "Kind of Movers but I'm not Really Sure What Direction" kinds of sounds as I do "Risers."

wagtunes wrote:Isn't there also a Riser that was made for Kontakt?
That's Native Instruments' Rise and Hit, and it's for cinematic builds and stings. It has more complex, usually orchestral sounds but isn't really good for sound design or EDM-type risers, IMO.

UltimateOutsider wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Isn't there also a Riser that was made for Kontakt?
That's Native Instruments' Rise and Hit, and it's for cinematic builds and stings. It has more complex, usually orchestral sounds but isn't really good for sound design or EDM-type risers, IMO.
Ah, okay. Yeah, now I remember. A quick easy way to do cinematic builds. I was tempted to get it but never did.

Return to “Instruments”