Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

shroom81 wrote:I'm sorry but neither Reaktor or Solorack come anywhere close to the quality Softube Modular offers, just the internal distortion of that synth put every distortion I've ever heard coming out of Reaktor to shame. And don't get me started on that Solorack that's thing is just plain weak sounding and very overpriced imo...
Reaktor Blocks sounds just as good as Softube Modular... plus you have lots more modules to use

pdxindy wrote:
Reaktor Blocks sounds just as good as Softube Modular... plus you have lots more modules to use
I don't agree, but this is of course subjective and depending on the music style.
Reaktor Blocks is fun and has much more options, however the sound can't compete with the other two.

Softube Modular and P900 are the only ones (for me) that have an analog vibe and that are ending up on my
records.

christian f. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
I don't agree, but this is of course subjective and depending on the music style.
Reaktor Blocks is fun and has much more options, however the sound can't compete with the other two.
Of course it can - imho it's way better - you have all the West Coast stuff for starters.

pdxindy wrote:
shroom81 wrote:I'm sorry but neither Reaktor or Solorack come anywhere close to the quality Softube Modular offers, just the internal distortion of that synth put every distortion I've ever heard coming out of Reaktor to shame.
The obvious fallacy there is, the person can't have heard all of Reaktor. NB: Reaktor doesn't have *a sound* per se. It's just an unworkable argument. Subjective impressions ≠ facts.

aMUSEd wrote:
christian f. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Of course it can - imho it's way better - you have all the West Coast stuff for starters.
How is this argument even happening? I've got 5 analog synths, and one hybrid, and they all sound very different. The differences between Reaktor and Softube are in that category, not "which sounds analog." They're both very good. If you think Reaktor isn't, you're probably not running it at 96 kHz.

One thing that's not subject to argument is the amount of available modules and the cost. Reaktor blows Softube Modular away. The amount and quality is really amazing. There was a lot of speculation about what new modules Softube would develop, but it's been... one. I also wasn't in love with its work flow. I appreciate Reaktor's ability to run it at different sample rates depending on the quality I need. By the time I had something interesting in Softube, I was maxing my CPU, or close to it. Simple stuff worked great, but at that point, I'll use something like Repro-1, Legend, or an actual analog.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jancivil wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
shroom81 wrote:I'm sorry but neither Reaktor or Solorack come anywhere close to the quality Softube Modular offers, just the internal distortion of that synth put every distortion I've ever heard coming out of Reaktor to shame.
The obvious fallacy there is, the person can't have heard all of Reaktor. NB: Reaktor doesn't have *a sound* per se. It's just an unworkable argument. Subjective impressions ≠ facts.
Your logic is just as subjective...

My 2 cents

I like the sounds of Reaktor Blocks and Softube. They sound different. The one I prefer depends on the moment and what I'm trying to do.

There are things I don't like about each. Neither is perfect. But what synth is?

Saying one is "better" than another is just subjective opinion and nothing more.

pdxindy wrote:
jancivil wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Bullshit, it's plain logic. Reaktor does not have a sound, itself. You cannot sum up "Reaktor" as such. If that statement is difficult, I'll explain: what synth in the Reaktor platform are you comparing to Softube Modular? {Further, which "distortion" module in Reaktor do you mean? There's nothing specific you're even talking about.}
Even if you are, and it's some particular combination of say 'Reaktor Blocks', fine, you like something else.

Why do people have to make "I like this and not that" into more than it is? I don't know what the Softube product sounds like, and I will need to know what actual instrument which happens to use Reaktor platform we're talking about. I have no subject, I have no investment in it at all, I just noted that's not really logical.

jancivil wrote:
Bullshit, it's plain logic.
yup, I agree... bullshit is plain logic
Last edited by pdxindy on Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:My 2 cents

I like the sounds of Reaktor Blocks and Softube. They sound different. The one I prefer depends on the moment and what I'm trying to do.

There are things I don't like about each. Neither is perfect. But what synth is?

Saying one is "better" than another is just subjective opinion and nothing more.
*raises coffee mug*

I still think SofTube Modular is a joke, especially the new LPG. Yes, i also own
Reaktor 6 and maybe over 60 actual Modules in a real Modular. I am more of
an EastCoast guy and ST should be actually better for me but it is not. Come
on, the Sound...uts just not there...its weak. Get the actual Doepfer VCO and
VCF and you will hear exactly what i am talking about. And how can you compare
it to Reaktor??? The 2 have NOTHING in common whatsoever...Funny!
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:how can you compare
I thought Reaktor and Modular are both modular synth vst?

BasariStudios wrote:I still think SofTube Modular is a joke, especially the new LPG. Yes, i also own
Reaktor 6 and maybe over 60 actual Modules in a real Modular. I am more of
an EastCoast guy and ST should be actually better for me but it is not. Come
on, the Sound...uts just not there...its weak. Get the actual Doepfer VCO and
VCF and you will hear exactly what i am talking about. And how can you compare
The funniest part of that is that the actual basic Doepfer oscillator is nothing to write home about either! Choosing to launch Softube Modular with a smattering of basic Doepfer modules was a pretty underwhelming choice. They should have launched with more intellijel, Pittsburgh, Make Noise, Harvestman...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Perhaps thats something to do with Doepfer inventing the Eurorack format.Now many years later there are lots of boutique modules.Maybe these smaller companies aren't interested in licencing their products over yet.Basic is often good and the basic Doepfer OSC is ample at that.I cant compare Softube or Reaktor to my modular as i do not own either software products.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

shroom81 wrote:And don't get me started on that Solorack that's thing is just plain weak sounding and very overpriced imo...
I respect your opinion. Here are some analog emulative presets that may fit your taste:

http://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/upl ... resets.zip

And these are just basic patching. You can go way beyond that.

SoloRack standard oscillators are not steered towards a particular feel. They are mainly unbiased. Because some one might like "thin" and some one else might like "fat". They are made to be as flexible as possible for sound designers. In the right hands, they can achieve immense power and massive sounds. Thats the essence of modular.

For example, some analog emulation synths, come with bassy waveforms. And whats called analog pitch drift between the oscillators. Softube uses pitch drift for the Doepfer VCOs, which makes sense, since they are essentially analog emulation. This has the advantage of giving you that phasing effect when the VCO are mixed, BUT, it also prevents you from having perfectly matched pitch (which can be useful). In SoloRack however, you can do both. By default, there is no drift, All you have to do is apply it manually. press SHIFT on your keyboard and dial the TUNE knob just a very tiny amount. And thats it, you will immediately get the pitch drift and hear the phasing (when two or more VCOs are mixed).
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Return to “Instruments”