Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

(Reaper parameters see the post on the previous page).

Oh, one more thing, I just totally re-did the wave morph video.

The song is a lot better, the video is now high definition, and one of the melodies
now also uses the wave morph as well. It also shows the waveform graph animation.

Check it out.

https://youtu.be/RVgZHsNzojU

twal wrote:Hey, I bought it too. And the same thing happened to me so it's not a Paypal periodical inspection, it must be how everything is linked up. Of course it downloaded and everything is fine.
Yes, it's weird.

But finally it works. So... I don't think that there are reasons to worry. We don't have explanations to everything on the wide world of the Internet transactions...
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

ATN69 wrote:+1 ..same for me. I just hope the money will reach the destination, and within reasonable time.
It seems so. Otherwise Everett would have already set an alert to us, knowing that it's been now a little week that some of us inform here of their purchases.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Yeah I finally got a successful payment email when I checked my messages this morning ...

Just playing with the mono version, nice concept and execution.

I would have to agree with others and add my voice, it seems to be needing some sort of visual feedback of what is being modulated by what in the matrix;
someone mentioned maybe highlighting the elements modulating or being modulated

I have a question about storing my own presets. I tried to store my own preset and I thought I got it right, but when I closed down my session and re-opened it again I could not find that preset anywhere.

So I would love a short step by step description just to see what I did wrong.

Cheers!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

This happened to me too in REAPER as I previously posted here. It's for now good to save your patches in the Factory directory folder as backup just in case. What daw are you using? Did you use a daw to make the patch in?

I can't think of any reason that saved user presets would disappear.
During testing every day I save presets in the user folder and folders all over my computer
including folders in my visual studio debug directories, and in two years of testing
I've never had any disappear. The file browser dialog wraps a normal windows file system access.
Also, the file list on the right is generated from reading the drive folder not form anything internal,
so if you save a preset and you see it pop up in the list on the right that means
that it is physically impossible for it not to be somewhere on your computer.
(Unless Reaper is somehow deleting files it doesn't like when it closes).

However, I just tired it myself now, and I just noticed that if you try to save a preset
with a blank name at the top, it will not save it (so watch out for that).
In the next release I will change it so that if it has no name it will still save it under a default name.

Please try this, hit Browser, go to the user folder, save your preset and immediately
go into windows explorer and see if the new preset file is there in the folder.
Then close Repear and see if it is still there. And let me know so I can debug it.

In regard to matching up mod slats to dials, if you click on a mod slat it will jump to the page
holding the target dial. But you are right, several users have mentioned needing more specific
graphics to show the connection. The confusion being I think if the panel has more than
one modulated dial it might be hard to see what dial goes with what mod slat.

Let me know more specifically what you had in mind and it might be easy to add.
For instance if you click on a mod slat, it turns, uhm.. "red" and the dial knob also turns "red".
Something like that? Let me know.

for the mod slots, I do see where it jumps to the panel holding the target dial, when a mod slot is clicked (good deal);
and I can see the target control(s) being modulated, in orange, on the panel...
and exactly as you say, if there are multiple similar target controls being modulated in the same panel (with multiple mod slots), hard to tell which target control goes with which mod slot

and yes - to my mind anyway, what you say about the mod slot and its corresponding target both turning red when the mod slot is clicked on - would go a long way toward clearing this up

[edit] one other thing - I see that the corresponding modules also get "highlighted" when you click on a mod slot, which is good; but the way they are highlighted is a bit hard to distinguish, so is not immediately obvious - looks like they get a dark grey background when they are highlighted, which doesn't show well when some of the colors being used for other modules (which are not currently selected) are other shades of grey.
Last edited by synzh on Wed May 24, 2017 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

I just had a Quick test and it works. I made a quick preset and I managed to save and recall my preset. Yesterday I did it the same way but it didn't work for some reason. Now it works :)

One difference since yesterday (not that it should matter but...) when I bought it I only got the 64-bit version. I put every file under C:/program files/vst. Later the same day I got the 32-bit version and it came only as a dll file without any other folders or files. I put that dll file in C:/program files(x86)/vst. I noticed then when I load up the 32-bit version and wanted to save a preset, Fathom automatically looked for the folders under C:/program files(x86)/vst, while all folders in fact were stored in C:/program files/vst. Before saving my preset I had to navigate to the correct folders at C:/program files/vst/Fathom/Programs. Long search path every time. I therefore moved all the content from the C:/program files/vst to the C:/program files(x86)/vst.

P.S I am using FL Studio 12 D.S
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Cheers on the update release!

- For me, while creating presets, am missing an additional visual representation what the modulator is doing to the control.
You should check out the Serum demo, when a control is modulated you can see a dot around the control moving based on the modulator input. Really handy to really see what is going on.

- Some kind of link info suggestion: hover with mouse on control or modulator and see linked control names ( textblock ), or what you said Everett ( same colors when selecting the control / modulator )

- Feature request: Preset save/recall for the effects.

- Feature request: drag items up/down on the audiocomponents side, same as mod matrix window. I find it a bit annoying having to collapse items so I can get to the lowest ones.

- Feature request: Wavetable > addmod option for the pulse width control.

- Feature request: LFO: more waveshapes.

Sincerely,

Rob

ATN69, Yes its true, it is not yet smart enough yet to remember folders outside the DLL parent folder.
So for now its best to keep them the same for 32 and 64.
I always use the same folder and put the 32 in the same folder.

XGMode: Some good ideas there.
Yes, I will try to figure out something cool for the mod slat target dial link graphically for this release.
Yes, a lot of ppl have requested mouse wheel scroll of the left side audio object list.
I will try to do that as well, should be relatively easy.
Someone had the idea of a drawable LFO so I may do that also.
It would work similar to the drawable waveform except be used for the LFO.
I also really want to do drawable envelope segments as well.

Today I'm working on allowing the mod amount dial itself to be modulated by another modulator.
The next couple releases will be all user ideas and will have some good stuff in it.

wagtunes wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Just $45 for a fully modular synth :o

Hopefully released soon, this could be one of the bargains of the year :)
I got MUX for $61 and KarmaFX for $72, both fully modular so $45 isn't crazy. Depends on what it offers. MUX, with all it has, is insane for that little amount of money. KarmaFX is also a great deal.

Right now it's on sale for $11. That is crazy! :P

Yes, that price will stay through this month.
It will go up a little in June but not a lot.

I think its necessary for the price to stay low until the audio path has been converted
to vector SIMD instructions, since the polyphony is low compared to other modular synths.

Also currently I'm implementing analog distortion (sort of) by simply modulating the oscillator
frequency with a random number generator inside a (secret) non random envelope.
It sounds ok, but not great. I really need to get my hands on a good analog oscillator emulation
algorithm and I have not found one yet.

FathomSynth wrote:I can't think of any reason that saved user presets would disappear.
During testing every day I save presets in the user folder and folders all over my computer
including folders in my visual studio debug directories, and in two years of testing
I've never had any disappear. The file browser dialog wraps a normal windows file system access.
Also, the file list on the right is generated from reading the drive folder not form anything internal,
so if you save a preset and you see it pop up in the list on the right that means
that it is physically impossible for it not to be somewhere on your computer.
(Unless Reaper is somehow deleting files it doesn't like when it closes).

However, I just tired it myself now, and I just noticed that if you try to save a preset
with a blank name at the top, it will not save it (so watch out for that).
In the next release I will change it so that if it has no name it will still save it under a default name.

Please try this, hit Browser, go to the user folder, save your preset and immediately
go into windows explorer and see if the new preset file is there in the folder.
Then close Repear and see if it is still there. And let me know so I can debug it.

In regard to matching up mod slats to dials, if you click on a mod slat it will jump to the page
holding the target dial. But you are right, several users have mentioned needing more specific
graphics to show the connection. The confusion being I think if the panel has more than
one modulated dial it might be hard to see what dial goes with what mod slat.

Let me know more specifically what you had in mind and it might be easy to add.
For instance if you click on a mod slat, it turns, uhm.. "red" and the dial knob also turns "red".
Something like that? Let me know.
I suspect a problem of cache with certain DAWs. Perhaps a clue (don't ask me to deepen, it is just a suggestion about a possible reason).
:)

Return to “Instruments”