Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote:In the next release I will change it so that if it has no name it will still save it under a default name.
... with an automatic incremental numeric suffix, then... (it's a suggestion, to prevent any overwrite)
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

ah, yes, good idea!

Would that also be possible for the wavefile export?

Good, point, Yes, I'll do it for the waveform save and wav exports also.

Just a quick update for the week's end.

The next release will be all user requested features.

It will be out sometime this coming week, more details soon.

I just bought this and have to say I'm very impressed with the features and performance for such a ridiculously low entry point.

I have encountered what I think is a bug whereby hitting the enter key on my computer completely re-initializes the instrument. I discovered this by accident while trying to manually enter a fixed value on an LFO knob out of habit from most of the other vst's I use but I can duplicate the behaviour simply pressing the enter key. This happens regardless of where the program is focused. I can't see any undo options so this could become frustrating when building intricate patches as old habits die hard.

My OS is Windows 7 Pro running Ableton live in 32 bit. I haven't tried it in a 64 bit host yet so I don't know if this is specific to 32 bit or not.

ooh, that's a bad one.
I just tried it in Ableton on Win 64 and the return key does not break point anywhere in my code.
Check your Ableton key bindings by hitting the "KEY" box in the upper right corner.
Also try editing the Fathom top title bar text box, hit return, and see if it still happens.
Also if you have another host try it in that also.

However, some people have asked for manual edit of the dial values,
so if I added that, it might fix the problem anyway.

Everett

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to recreate the issue in both 64 bit and 32 bit reaper and was unable. I checked your suggestions for Ableton and was able to edit the program name and hit enter without issue. Clicked back in the main window and hit enter and it immediately loaded a new blank program. I checked the key bindings and I have nothing in the list (I use hardware midi controllers for everything). Interestingly, after exiting the key map, the behaviour ceased until I closed and re-opened the host. I was also able to repeat this procedure at will with the same result. I can use this as a work-around since I'm sure you have more pressing issues than troubleshooting legacy hosts but I would add myself to the list of users that would benefit from direct entry for parameters supporting numerical values since I use that method for just about everything else I do.

If entering and exiting the key map caused the problem to go away,
then it is definitely something caused by Ableton. Maybe try mapping the enter key
to something harmless so when you re-open Ableton the problem won't happen again.

The good news is the next release will have manual dial value entry.

Also, I'm making it so if the dial range is 0.00 to 1.00 and you enter "55"
it will be smart enough to know that you mean "0.55",
for very fast and easy entry.

Also, some fantastic news for everyone.

Today I figured out a way to do dynamic host parameters in Fathom.
I did some experimenting in Ableton today and found out that while the total number
of parameters can not change, the host WILL allow the names to change.

Which means I can effectively do dynamic high speed parameters for everyone.
And it means the names in the host will match the dials without having
to do use generic parameter names, and they will be fully automated and record-able.

Also the maximum number is 64 parameters which is easily enough.

This will not be in the next release 1.0.6, but it will be in the one after 1.0.7.

nice

Awesome. I feel like I already got 10X my money's worth and yet you continue adding to it.

:clap:
Last edited by dnelson1971 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$110 would still be more than reasonable.

FathomSynth wrote:Which means I can effectively do dynamic high speed parameters for everyone.
And it means the names in the host will match the dials without having
to do use generic parameter names, and they will be fully automated and record-able.
great news.

cheers,
tl.

This synth is absolutely fantastic - lovely morphing/moving sounds with the wavetable oscillator.
Great work already, even if it's not finished yet.

Return to “Instruments”