Emu E4 - SATA HD not recognised

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all.
I hope someone can help me. I'm having problems getting a SATA HD recognised by my new E4XT. I have searched through numerous threads but haven't found an answer. I don't know what else to try...
Originally the E4 had EOS v4.01, 1999 stock PSU and 3GB IDE HD (E4.5 PROD SET SOUNDS).
I successfully updated to EOS v4.7, I could access the HD/browse/preview sounds no problem.
I than installed a new PSU (SunPower SPS 060P-T2 60W) and an IDE<>SATA Bridge(Wintech SAK-65),
the wires have been crossed/modified, formatted the new HD on MacOS as FAT32.
HD not recognised when pushing the "DISK/BROWSE" button. It hangs/freezes for about 1-2min then only shows the D9 Floppy Disk.
MASTER>UTILS> TESTS>MORE
Completed "InitEE".
HDsel(F1) hangs for good 1-2minute show's only "Drive: Floppy Disk"
HDread(F2) "HD READ ONLY
Pass: 5000+ it kept going but once finished didn't provide me with any prompt or result it just returned to menu.
Errors:000 (as far as I saw)
HDwrite(F3) "HD WRITE/RD/REASSIGN
?D9 DESTROYS ALL!" This looked like it was doing something for about 6-8h but then just reverted back to menu. No difference
HDmedia(F4) "? No defects"
HDres(F5) "? HD SENSE DATA
CODE:0000 Key:0000 Status:00000000
Sector: Not Valid" <----could this be something??
HDcsum(F6) "? SCSI error"
Like I said I've searched hi and low but can't find anyone with this problem. Have I missed something somewhere?
Any help very very appreciated!
Big big Thanks!
Ps-the SAK65 bridge is set to "DEVICE". If set to "HOST" the front display does not turn on.

two questions - what size is the new sata hdd? You could be running into issues with the adressing used on legacy ide (LBA) and that used on big modern drives. Ideally I'd try i with an old SATA hdd (as in something less than 250gb).

Also when yu formatted the drive on the mac which partition table type did you use? Pretty sure macos default to GPT, that old emu will certainly require MBR type partitioning instead

jdnz wrote:two questions - what size is the new sata hdd? You could be running into issues with the adressing used on legacy ide (LBA) and that used on big modern drives. Ideally I'd try i with an old SATA hdd (as in something less than 250gb).

Also when yu formatted the drive on the mac which partition table type did you use? Pretty sure macos default to GPT, that old emu will certainly require MBR type partitioning instead
Thanks for your reply!!
Yep, was thinking about the HD size... I got 500GB (the smallest I could find here) I'm in the middle of nowhere.....
Just so happens my friend is coming to visit me next week so he can order me one and bring it.
Can u recomend any particular HD make,model?
Do u recon the Encased USB HD's should be OK?

Thanks!thanks!

Ps-yes the partition table is MBR

I did a bit of googling and people reported the max size ide hdd suported in your emu is 120gb - but that 120gb ssd's work fine via the pata/sata bridge you have.

Given how cheap a 120gb ssd is I'd give that a go first (before going hunting vintage hdds - a ssd will be heaps more reliable and draw lots less power too)

other thing to try would be to pull the hdd, shove it back on the mac and repartition it with a MBR partition map and a single <120gb (100gb to be safe) fat32 partition - as long as the partition is within the first 120gb of the drive it should work (just means you can't use the whle 500gb you paid for, but I doubt that matters to you as much as just getting it going)

if you did want a really big drive you could use a scsi/sata bridge (since the 120gb limit was only on the ide side of things) - but those bridges as considerably dearer.

jdnz wrote:other thing to try would be to pull the hdd, shove it back on the mac and repartition it with a MBR partition map and a single <120gb (100gb to be safe) fat32 partition - as long as the partition is within the first 120gb of the drive it should work (just means you can't use the whle 500gb you paid for, but I doubt that matters to you as much as just getting it going)

if you did want a really big drive you could use a scsi/sata bridge (since the 120gb limit was only on the ide side of things) - but those bridges as considerably dearer.
You're so right! How I didn't think of that?!
I've been trying to repartition via DiskUtility but it's not letting me rezise!!
I'm gonna keep trying.
I'm really pressed for time if I were to order new HD I need to do it now.
But surely thinking about it logically, if an SSD works(which is much newer tech) surely a SATA 120GB< should work...,??

absolutely - if you can find a 120gb sata hdd it should work same as a 120gb sata ssd - trouble is finding one, they went out of production over 10 years ago so it could involve hunting in dusty thrift shops (wheras I can just jump online and have a shiny new 120gb ssd here overnight).

and to reformat the drive on macOS it's probably easiest to do it from terminal (I've had that myself with diskutility deciding it wasn't going to let me do anything)

have a read of this on how to use diskutil - be warned you really need to pay attention, it is quite feasible to erase you mac's main hard drive instead with a simple typo!!

http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/ ... ine-part-1

jdnz wrote:and to reformat the drive on macOS it's probably easiest to do it from terminal (I've had that myself with diskutility deciding it wasn't going to let me do anything)

have a read of this on how to use diskutil - be warned you really need to pay attention, it is quite feasible to erase you mac's main hard drive instead with a simple typo!!

http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/ ... ine-part-1
Yup been looking at it. On Linux since I was a kid so no problems using command line.
Still can't manage to format it at a given size...
"sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 MBR MS-DOS E4XT 1000b"
this just reparations to the full 500gb....
Any pointers?

Managed to get rezised but no luck, no recognision.
The command line used was (diskutil splitPartition /Dev/disk2 MS-DOS E4XT 100GB EMPTYSPACE 100000b)

Trying to find a command to specify the second volume as Unpartitioned space, if u or anyone can help.....
Very much appreciated!!

2cno wrote:Still can't manage to format it at a given size...
"sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 MBR MS-DOS E4XT 1000b"
this just reparations to the full 500gb....
Any pointers?
https://developer.apple.com/legacy/libr ... til.8.html

so what you want would be

sudo diskutil partitiondisk /dev/disk2 1 MBR fat32 E4XT 100G

the docs imply MS-DOS would just be fat12 (not fat32 that you need). Give what I listed a go....

Nope, can't manage to get it to execute
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'd try omitting the '1' (which specifies one partition) - it's shown as optional anyway and it's likely dropped now cos it's redundant (that man page is for darwin - so kind of old)

so that's be

sudo diskutil partitiondisk /dev/disk2 mbr fat32 e4xt 100g

Nope, tried that. It just repartitions to full HD size. It's bs!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”