PRODUCTS
Hive 2

ghettosynth wrote:How about that 2N2222
silicon transistors? meh.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:How about that 2N2222
silicon transistors? meh.
Well mine are NOS in the metal can (TO 68?) with gold plated leads and date codes from the sixties. You don't see that every day. My germanium transistor collection sucks though, what can I say.

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
ATN69 wrote:Hey Steven, I wasn't referring to you :D ..and I know you proved by all your posts that you really are into Music, also at OCS. No, I aimed at those guy's who come to KVR and filling every topic with their opinions, stirring up conflicts and argue their butts off just as a sport. Some of them have not (to my knowledge) uploaded or shared any of their Music, or sound design, or plugins they made. It just makes me wonder if there are non musician trolls running around here at KVR.
Non-musician, non-plugin-makin, non-sound-designin trolls! amiright!

Now, let's get back to talking about Hive, or something other than other people at any rate.
Do you know what I find interesting about Hive? The same thing I find interesting about 99% of the synths discussed here with very few exceptions. It seems to be such a polarizing piece of software.
I disagree, I think that you're reading too much into the responses. For me, at least, almost all synths are average, hence, uninteresting. You shouldn't read that as "hate" or polarizing? I don't understand how people interpret "not impressed" as "ragging on" or "slamming" a product? You're too old to be a millennial so I know that you didn't grow up with participation awards for everything.
Of course not, but I take a piece of musical software for what it is, something that makes music and nothing more. And not referring to those who aren't impressed with a piece of software. I'm referring to those who literally rake it over the coals. I mean some of the remarks here are brutal.

Personally, I can count on one hand the number of VSTi's that truly impress me. But I'm not overly impressed by most things in life. Not as old as I am, as you've pointed out. For me, this stuff's just a means to an end. Making music. Out of my 100 plus synths, I find I use maybe a dozen regularly. That doesn't mean I hate the others or think they suck. I just don't find a place for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't get passionate about software. I get passionate about music. I live and breathe it. Without it, you might as well put me in the ground. I made my first record when I was 3 years old with my mom dragging me into the recording studio to sing "Harrigan", "Suwannee River" and "I Got Plenty Of Nuthin" from Porgy and Bess. Sadly, I sang better then than I do now. But I digress. Point is, for me, you bought software, you used it, and you didn't talk about it. The only reason I even bother doing that now is because there's nothing else to do around here. But I'm sure as hell not going to get passionate about it. The only times I'll ever even complain about a VSTi is if I can't see the GUI or it plain doesn't work, neither having anything to do with how it sounds.

But boy, the folks here sure get passionate about this stuff.

wagtunes wrote: I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't get passionate about software. I get passionate about music. I live and breathe it. Without it, you might as well put me in the ground.
IMO these are connected. If you are passionate about your music then you will also be passionate about the instruments that make the sounds in your music. I think you make better sounds if you are passionate about your instruments.

Soarer wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't get passionate about software. I get passionate about music. I live and breathe it. Without it, you might as well put me in the ground.
IMO these are connected. If you are passionate about your music then you will also be passionate about the instruments that make the sounds in your music. I think you make better sounds if you are passionate about your instruments.
Yeah. If instruments are means to an end, and better means can help you make better ends, wouldn't you try and find the best means for you? Not a lot of orchestra players playing Chinese knock-off violins

Soarer wrote:
Yeah, but you're not understanding me. I'm not saying I don't look for the best tool for the job. I'm saying I don't get all hog wild crazy over the tool. I bought Photoshop because IMO it's the best software for what it does. But I don't have any passion about the software itself. It's just a tool. I open it, I use it, I make what I need to make with it and I'm done. I don't give the software itself a second thought. It's just there as a means to an end. Same with synths. Same with sample libraries. I look for the best sound for what I'm doing but there is zero emotion tied to the software itself. It's all very clinical.

I understand what you are saying. I just feel different about it. Take Diva for example, I can get quite exited when I play some of the bass arp presets I've made with it since they are so fat and massive and sounds very analog and just great. That makes me a bit passionate about her :love:

Zexila wrote:Yeah, U-He synths are top notch, also sound designers gathered around them.
This.

The sound designers "gathered around" u-he are indeed a highly talented crew. I own all the u-he synths and quite a few sound collections for them, certainly more than enough for a decade or so of creative use. And I'm still impressed when I hear new sets for those synths.

Not to mention the very large body of tutorial material available to anyone wishing to go further.

Yep, I'm a u-he fan.

Best,

dp

Now when there is a quiet moment here I’ll give you a status update.

I have been using Hive lately and also made a number of presets with it. Then I wanted to recreate those presets in Omnisphere 2 since I’d prefer if I could just do it all in Omnisphere. But I cannot get the same results. Sometimes it’s close but it’s not the same (at all). I find that Omnisphere often sounds quite hard and a bit cold (did try with big unison and detune).

With Hive I get these crispy attack textures and the synth sounds more “soft” i.e. not so hard. I think the synth has character and it just sounds better to me. I don’t like to make any definite conclusions since it still could be me getting something wrong but this is what I have found again and again.
I really like the extensive modulation system and especially that also the effects can be modulated. The free routing from oscillators to the filters is great too.

One thing I had expected and would very much like to see added is Wavetable synthesis. If Hive is just a bit Virus-like it should have WT synthesis (Like Virus TI).

I want to use Hive but can’t afford it at the moment but I put up a WTB post in the market place. Or else I’ll have to wait for a sale.
Last edited by Soarer on Thu May 25, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp

Soarer wrote:Now when there is a quiet moment here I’ll give you a status update.

I have been using Hive lately and also made a number of presets with it. Then I wanted to recreate those presets in Omnisphere 2 since I’d prefer if I could just do it all in Omnisphere. But I cannot get the same results. Sometimes it’s close but it’s not the same (at all). I find that Omnisphere often sounds quite hard and a bit cold (did try with big unison and detune).

With Hive I get these crispy attack textures and the synth sounds more “soft” i.e. not so hard. I think the synth has character and it just sounds better to me. I don’t like to make any definite conclusions since it still could be me getting something wrong but this is what I have found again and again.
I really like the extensive modulation system and especially that also the effects can be modulated. The free routing from oscillators to the filters is great too.

One thing I had expected and would very much like to see added is Wavetable synthesis. If Hive is just a bit Virus-like it should have WT synthesis (Like Virus TI).

I want to use Hive but can’t afford it at the moment but I put up a WTB post in the market place. Or else I’ll have to wait for a sale.
The two synths have different sound engines so of course they're going to sound different. That's why I, and many other here, own dozens of synths. What you're hearing is not your imagination or anything like that. It is what it is because they do in fact sound nothing alike.

Not everyone had that opinion:
ghettosynth wrote: If you like that one, it will serve you fine. I just think that what you said could be said about virtually all commercial soft synths. There's nothing wrong with Hive, per se, but based on your original post and what you have, I would not have predicted that you would be so enthusiastic about it. It will cover much of the same ground as Omnisphere, or vice versa, with respect to your stated interests. I feel that you'd probably like any synth that you thought that you might be interested in....
I didn't really talk about "covering ground"
I was talking about timbre and sound. :D

Soarer wrote: One thing I had expected and would very much like to see added is Wavetable synthesis. If Hive is just a bit Virus-like it should have WT synthesis (Like Virus TI).
This + some basic FM for the oscillators and the filters, osc sync and a vowel filter (every synth should have a vowel filter!). Then I would very seriously cosnider getting Hive.

Actually Virus TI feature set is a sweet spot between very specialized synths with limited features, such as Hive or Sylenth, and do-it-all monsters like Avenger, I'd love to see more synths with this ideology. Spire and Dune2 are good examples of this approach.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Maybe there'll be a Hive 2. :) Not sure if such an amount of functionality fits the concept though. Would surely be great nonetheless. But, i guess that sort of stuff would rather make it (or is already present) in Zebra 3 then.

Soarer wrote:Now when there is a quiet moment here I’ll give you a status update.

First, you have way too much appreciation and passion for this jaded crowd buddy. you need to learn how to embrace your inner hate and bask in mediocrity. Second, the thing about U-he is that they give you everything you need, but you are going to have to do it the U-he way. Don't even start with the whole wave table or wave morphing or more wave forms, and don't, for the love of all that is great, even mention a pulsewidth knob... all this has been discussed. That's not what Hive is, Hive has been stripped to make it as low CPU as possible. That is the whole point of Hive is strip everything out that you can to "optimize" the CPU use.

Return to “Instruments”