Studio One 3.5 Released.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Looking at the worst performing core is more reasonable, because generally, all it takes is one core going into the red to introduce buffer underruns.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Presonus is just laying the smack down on the competition right now. Especially after testing the faderport 8 with it. :tu:

I was so right when I bought the first version. Never disappointed me.

Now I only miss proper hardware instruments integration...

I can remove plugins boot S1 up then deactivate AU, VST or VST3. That works but it's a hassle. The scan process has definitely changed in S1 3.5. I didn't get these problems on previous versions and I don't get any problems scanning plugins in Live, Logic or other plugins that scan like Komplete and Blue Cat. S1 3.5 plugin scan is now flakey. It shouldn't crash the DAW for one , it should just park it.

The plugin scanning at startup is very flakey, constantly crashing and blacklisting different plugs ins that when rescanned, are then fine, strange. It seems like a common Mac issue (yet again) reported on the Presonus forums also. Had one crash in operation so far.

There are so many things to like in S1 but I always get the impression that its on shaky ground. I have loads of S1 tracks that I can't open on S1v2 on my Sierra system so I will upgrade when the sales arrive to be able to access them. It is getting better at least.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Haven't had any crashes on startup but then I disabled VST support a long time ago - just use AU and VST3, on Mac these are more stable in S1 and between them I have all my plugins covered anyway.

aMUSEd wrote:Haven't had any crashes on startup but then I disabled VST support a long time ago - just use AU and VST3, on Mac these are more stable in S1 and between them I have all my plugins covered anyway.
That's interesting. I hadn't disabled anything but was using VST3 over AU. But when 3.5 came out, I did a check and the AU versions were coming in at 1 to 2% less usage than the VST3's, so it made me wonder whether to just use AU. (I'm not saying it is 3.5 specific, I just mean I didn't compare them until now). I was favoring VST3 because at some point that seemed to be the consensus for Mac and also for the VI MIDI out.

What kind of issues were going on when VST was enabled?

aMUSEd wrote:Haven't had any crashes on startup but then I disabled VST support a long time ago - just use AU and VST3, on Mac these are more stable in S1 and between them I have all my plugins covered anyway.
Ill give a shot and report back tx
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

macmuse wrote:
That's interesting. I hadn't disabled anything but was using VST3 over AU. But when 3.5 came out, I did a check and the AU versions were coming in at 1 to 2% less usage than the VST3's, so it made me wonder whether to just use AU. (I'm not saying it is 3.5 specific, I just mean I didn't compare them until now). I was favoring VST3 because at some point that seemed to be the consensus for Mac and also for the VI MIDI out.

What kind of issues were going on when VST was enabled?
Constant crashes on loading VST plugins

How have they done this low latency thing? I'm getting down to 32 samples and running plugins like Pianoteq with no glitching, even with a RME interface in S1 that was not possible before on my system. I suspect I'll still need higher buffers for the more CPU demanding ones and plugins that stream samples but even so Pianoteq is moderately demanding and having a keyboard playable with negligible latency is nice.

popskull wrote:I have a license for 3 but havnt been using it. Tried today and it crashes before even starting , crashes on the VST scan . It does not even bypass the plugin it just crashes . Tried taking the plugins out but it's doing it for a lot of them . Looks like they are using a different scan mechanism . Anyway I gave up , too much time wasted . I'll wait for a new version and try again .
But, it's so perfect. How can that be?

Zexila wrote:
incubus wrote:
• Multi-processing enhancements for improved CPU balancing
That's twice hell has frozen over (the first being vst's in reason)
And they said bitching on KVR is pointless. :hihi:
I'm not sure where you coming from.

You sig is offensive, maybe concentrate on the countless others that had/have the problem?

Zexila wrote:And they said bitching on KVR is pointless. :hihi:
It wasn't KVR (afaik anyway) it was Answers, their FR database. The two highest voted FR's there got done, Undo and better Low Latency performance.

Even though there was a mention of some optimization for better mutli-core balancing that's really not where the CPU improvement comes from. It comes from only monitoring the thing being recorded at low latency while everything else can run at higher buffers. The audio engine is otherwise the same one in 3.3, it just operates in dual latency mode now.

That's my take on it anyway, mmv.

aMUSEd wrote:How have they done this low latency thing? I'm getting down to 32 samples and running plugins like Pianoteq with no glitching, even with a RME interface in S1 that was not possible before on my system. .
Yup- I cant help but feel if Steinberg (or many others) had done this first we would have had a month of teasers about 'revolution' in the VST world and a major paid update!

Kudos to Presonus for such a low key launch of a big deal...I really hope S13 gets the credit it deserves now :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”