Tokyo Dawn Records rereleases OD DeEdger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OD DeEdger

I wonder if this has something like a de clicking algo invloved? I sometimes use Izotopes De clicker to reduce clicky transient noise.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Well, it's subtle, I'll give it that!
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Anyone else disappointed by the price hike - here's an alternative you may like. I've been using this for "de-edging" and deharshing in the sensitive frequency range with great results. It's hella powerful, suitable for mixing or mastering and costs 20 euro.

Sounds interesting but your image isn't showing up!
Better yet, if you can grab the right issue of Computer Music, you get this for free:

And having just tried it, it sounds great with just 5% "amount".
Last edited by cprompt on Thu May 25, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cprompt wrote:Sounds interesting but your image isn't showing up!
Its a Toneboosters vst ... cant tell which one from the image.

Bottom right corner always displays the plugin info :) It's TB Sibilance V3.

Er... this is NOT a De-esser, folks. OD DeEdger is handling transients.

In fact - people seem to have over-read what bmanic wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=6792374#p6792374

IMO, it's nothing like bx_refinement...

I also already read a lot(!, like a sh*t-ton) of commentary on the price.

Once more (see follow up post by bmanic), this is aimed at a different market. This is furthermore made in collaboration with another developer, based on the Tokyo Dawn framework (knob handling). The 100 bucks need to cover the R&D, time it took to program, the plugin support, the devs. Tokyo Dawn Labs gradually rose in price. I'm actually surprised we didn't see 60-80EUR for the SlickEQ MASTERING (which would be much more fair priced - currently it's a bit undercut). Especially considering how thought/development was put into it. And there is still the month-old announcement that "Limiter No6" is due for a makeover as well.

I'm curious what people would say, if suddenly that super powerful freeware limiter, would now cost 70-80 bucks. Oh wait... I just need to read the majority of this thread, the Facebook linked posts, and what happened to Audjoo HELIX after it got announced "sorry folks, public beta turns into payware now - and btw - it'll be 149USD".

No matter how you do it as developer, you always do it wrong.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Er... this is NOT a De-esser, folks. OD DeEdger is handling transients.

In fact - people seem to have over-read what bmanic wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=6792374#p6792374

IMO, it's nothing like bx_refinement...

I also already read a lot(!, like a sh*t-ton) of commentary on the price.

Once more (see follow up post by bmanic), this is aimed at a different market. This is furthermore made in collaboration with another developer, based on the Tokyo Dawn framework (knob handling). The 100 bucks need to cover the R&D, time it took to program, the plugin support, the devs. Tokyo Dawn Labs gradually rose in price. I'm actually surprised we didn't see 60-80EUR for the SlickEQ MASTERING (which would be much more fair priced - currently it's a bit undercut). Especially considering how thought/development was put into it. And there is still the month-old announcement that "Limiter No6" is due for a makeover as well.

I'm curious what people would say, if suddenly that super powerful freeware limiter, would now cost 70-80 bucks. Oh wait... I just need to read the majority of this thread, the Facebook linked posts, and what happened to Audjoo HELIX after it got announced "sorry folks, public beta turns into payware now - and btw - it'll be 149USD".

No matter how you do it as developer, you always do it wrong.
I think the crux if the problem is that it was first posted with a price of 50 Euro, then suddenly doubled to 100 Euro very shortly after being put up for sale that has people complaining....well at least me complaining. :wink:

There was a post defending the price as it was aimed more towards the pro market but how "pro market" is it to first list the price and then suddenly double it? Don't ever recall seeing pricing mistakes like that on other "pro market" sites.

As for the plugin, haven't tried but I most certainly will. Everything else this dev has put out is top notch and the price is reasonable it does the job I need it to...which is usually how I gauge the value of something; how it works for me and not by reviews or comments or observations by others.

<><><><><><><><>
Last edited by Aloysius on Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Tokyo Dawn are freaking incredible. SlickEQ, M version, Kotelnikov - are best in class and well affordable. The quality of their code is almost second to none (alongside Fabfilter and few esteemed others) BUT sheesh get your pricepoint right from the get-go. Or if you're doing an extremely time-limited "earlybird" offer... announce it.

This is a nice sounding tool for dynamics correction.
Although I found a few oddball things happening while using it. Using the Active switch does bypass the effect, but the CPU load remains the same, disabling plugin in host will lower CPU use. There's a bit of crackle while moving the frequency knob, quite audible. I should probably read the manual, but I couldn't hear what the Compensate control does. While using L+R mode, I would think the CPU use could be halved. A L-R would be useful as well. I can only use 2 instances before slight crackling.
Otherwise, it's nice and I would deffo use.

Compyfox wrote:Er... this is NOT a De-esser, folks. OD DeEdger is handling transients.
You are right, it's just that:

1. Sibilance is marketed as more of a deharsher than a de-esser
2. TB Sibilance is €20 not €100
3. TB Sibilance CM is €0 (if you got it with CM)

I got a result I liked with TB Sibilance very easily, where as DeEdger didn't do anything I liked. Just my opinion.

bmanic wrote:Let's get some things straight:

1) This is NOT a replacement for tools that try to control resonances/frequencies, like bx_refinement (which is a complete ripoff in my opinion as it's just some basic filtering) or Soothe (which is absolutely amazing).
Yeah, after testing been using nova for the "harsh" areas parallel style, but I liked what refinement saturation did.

I will need to try this (and not on a day when been playing multiplayer for whole day :P )
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Don't ever recall seeing pricing mistakes like that on other "pro market" sites.
Oh, addressing the wrong pricing initially happened in the industry. Some people just don't go absolutely ape-sh*t bonkers on usually known-for-low-budget-tools developers.

MogwaiBoy wrote:...BUT sheesh get your pricepoint right from the get-go. Or if you're doing an extremely time-limited "earlybird" offer... announce it.
There was no "early-bird offer" - this was an honest mistake by the developers and their shop. Do you even know how much pressure they're usually on at/around a release?

Are you free from doing mistakes?

This price-drama (and the lengthy "joke posts") has been blown way out of proportion. IMO and all that.

camsr wrote:Although I found a few oddball things happening while using it. Using the Active switch does bypass the effect, but the CPU load remains the same, disabling plugin in host will lower CPU use.
"internal" and host bypass vs host power button. Are you using Cubase by chance? This could explain your report.

camsr wrote:There's a bit of crackle while moving the frequency knob, quite audible. I should probably read the manual, but I couldn't hear what the Compensate control does. While using L+R mode, I would think the CPU use could be halved. A L-R would be useful as well. I can only use 2 instances before slight crackling.
You're describing a bug - and you should reach out to the developers. Sometimes a problem like this slips by the testing.

Other than that "Compensate" does what it says. Adjust the output signal to that it's "roughly" (warning: grain of salt - subjective topic) similar to the input signal strength.

cprompt wrote:
You are right, it's just that:

1. Sibilance is marketed as more of a deharsher than a de-esser
2. TB Sibilance is €20 not €100
3. TB Sibilance CM is €0 (if you got it with CM)

I got a result I liked with TB Sibilance very easily, where as DeEdger didn't do anything I liked. Just my opinion.
It's still two completely(!) different tasks.

One tool edits transients, another tool is a hybrid of a compressor/dynamic EQ. Apples and oranges. So I guess it boils down to semantics (explanation of "tools" and the nice, non-unified descriptions like "de-harsh", "de-edge", "warm/phat/cold" and my recent new favorite... "fluffy").

Regarding the price (again...):

The developer can pretty much ask for what he wants (they want) to compensate for their work (R&D, design, testing, extended support). Don't like it, don't buy it.

If they messed up with announcing the price, so be it. Didn't happen the first time in this audio realm. In fact, I still get the one or another mail by companies that announce sales and messed up (codes, wrong price, etc). No sale happening? Oh, I'm sorry... do you want value or constantly "under-sold tools" like other companies do (why ask for the full price ANYWAY if you sell it for 1/6th of that in 3 months down the road?! Are you telling me the tools are then not "worth" the investment?!)?

The choice is ultimately yours - you(!) speak with your wallet.

This is why there are so many tools on the market these days. Both in hardware and software form. You can choose what you want to use. You can be like "this is worth it to me - after testing - I'll get it", or completely ignore something. If you don't see a use for that in your setup, then don't use it and move on.

Maybe you can build something yourself with modular sub-hosts yourself (been there, done that), maybe there is a similar concept out there already in another plugin (see Eventide's recent release, even though that's still apples and oranges). The choice is yours! But hanging yourself up on that topic (and yes, I have to admit I did that myself), won't help on the long run. In this case, try to find a deal. I'm sure there will be plenty in the upcoming weeks in the second hand market on both KVR and maybe even GS.

Ultimately it should (and it will) boil down to:
- usability (design and accessibility)
- usefulness (does this thing do what it's supposed to do, and how well does it?)
- company/developer appreciation (some will buy "blind" even though the company is new/unknown/small/long-running yet dropped their quality standards/etc, others will at least take a closer look first)
- preference (this thing is better than the other I've been using for ages, or can build myself)
- price (very, very, very subjective topic regarding "fairness")

To me, 3,5 points out of 5 apply

With that said - I stated what I wanted to do. From this point on out, the discussion (IMO!) just repeats and is beating the same dead horse.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

DeEgger, for removing egg on your face :tu:

Return to “Effects”