Looking for a software or method for a special process

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

I have an idea that i want to recreate somehow.
The idea is to use a short sample, for example a a high pitched bass drum or something similar.
Then, to create a tone out of this i want to repeat the sample at the same rate as the tone i want to create.
The sample itself will be locked in pitch, so it´s not the typical simple looping that i need to do.
I guess it sort of resembles oscillator hard sync, but without altering the pitch of the waveform being synced.
Even better would be to be able to change the pitch of the sample by modulation if wanted.

I have managed to get the sound in logic by setting the note grid to 192 and repeating the sample really fast.
Then manipulating the tempo with automation to get different notes, but this way is way to time consuming and is very hard to get right in pitch and tempo.

The idea itself is quite simple i guess, but i still haven´t found a software that can actually do this right.

I would appriciate any input i can get on this :)

Three options I can think of:

On the cheap end, you've got XFadeLooperCM which comes with every issue of Computer Music. It's basically a mini sampler, but the 'sync' option will hard lock the loop points to whatever number of cycles of the waveform (i.e. zero crossings) you set the 'sync' option to. It's polyphonic, always in tune. and you can play it like a synth. You can also change the pitch of the cycles manually or by LFO, and because the loop length never changes, it almost works like a formant control.

Polyverse's I Wish plug-in is a kind of effect version of the above. Send your audio into it and playing MIDI notes will trigger a micro-loop (or micro-loops, it's also polyphonic) from whatever was going in at the instant you hit the note. Again, always in tune. Much more 'dynamic' than XFadeLooperCM as the micro-loop changes every time and there's a ton of modulation potential. Check the video examples on their website as it's probably easier to see than explain. https://polyversemusic.com/i-wish/

Lastly you've got 'pitch synchronous granular synthesis' as Curtis Roads calls it, where the pitch is determined by the rate at which new grains are triggered, rather than by changing the pitch of the grains themselves. Unfortunately, most granular synths work by changing the pitch of the grains and the pitch synchronous stuff is an IMO criminally under-explored area. Padshop Pro is the only granular synth I'm aware of that lets work with this, again playable by MIDI, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Of the three, I'd say I Wish is the plug-in you're looking for :)

Wow, i can´t describe how happy this made me. Thank you so much :)
You know, when you have an idea, it´s like, if you can think it, it can be done.
I´ve just spent so much time trying to find the right software or method for it.
This will be way faster than modulating tempo wich took like an hour to make 15 seconds of music.
Can´t wait to get home from work to try this out now.

Have fun! :party:

Well, none of these actually did exactly on point what i wanted to achieve.
Both XFadeLooperCM and Padshop Pro added some smoothening of the loop wich can not be removed, so i couldn't really get the sound i wanted. Still got some nice sounds out of them though.

Polyverse I Wish.
Oh man, this plug is so much fun. One can really get some funky wicked sounds out of this one.
I love it.
For my purpouse though, it was too inconsistent to use for this process.
Even if i put the same sample on every 16:th note and synced with the midi inputs, each tone would sound a little different so i guess the small snippets vary in milliseconds enough to be noticed this way.
But for everything else, this plug is amazing :)

Return to “Sound Design”