Syntronik [update March 2018: New T-03 Bonus Content & 4-for-1 bass synth promo] available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Syntronik has 2 oscillator slots. We simulate 3-oscillator sounds (and 4, 8, 10-oscillator sounds, etc.) by providing samples of multiple oscillators that can in the either or both of the oscillator slots.
Does one get direct access to (in order to change the samples in) the oscillator slots?

ghettosynth wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I hope we've posted enough information and materials so far for people to get a good idea that Syntronik isn't just some basic rompler.
As far as I can tell, it is a basic rompler. So, no, unless you post more material, that's the sense that I get.

From the images it's clear that it's essentially one basic synth engine with an LFO, a filter EG and an amp EG and a switchable filter. Every synth has this, even the 303. An original 303, of course, has NOTHING like this in its architecture.

So, as I see it you have roughly the same architecture as any number or romplers that I own, only even less complex. The JD800, for example, has a separate pitch envelope.

I don't mean it as an insult, but I can't see that you have a complex synth engine there at all. Kudos for the selection of modeled filters, I hope that they sound good. However, at the end of the day, you have a rompler engine with modeled filters and a selection of samples from a collection of analog synths. Nothing wrong with that as a product, like I said earlier, I think that it's a good compromise that sits in between modeled synths and Kontact, but there's not a lot of point in saying that it's not a rompler when it exactly meets the definition of one. Having different front panels to go along with different sample sets does not change the underlying architecture.

Further, if it ISN'T a rompler, then I predict that it won't sound good. The only way to really capture the drama of analog synths like this is to use fairly long looped samples in rompler fashion. As far as I can tell, you simply don't have enough complexity in your synth engine to bring interesting patches to the table otherwise.

I have a couple of DIY VCOs in my modular that make the most awesome drone when played together. I could listen to it forever. If I tried to turn that sound into a short wavetable like sound then all of the character would be lost. The only way to capture some of that character is with long samples that are properly looped. If I were to do that, it would sound good in Kontakt or a synth engine like this. So, I hope that it IS a rompler, I think that your success with it depends on that.
Why think it wouldn't sound good. We've heard it. No? I just want to get a sense of how much of what we've heard are things like a oscillator sync sweep that's naked being run through one of the modeled filters, and how much is a full on sample of the original patch, filter and all, with some extra help from the Syntronik engine.

Also, ignore the ROMpler haters. They've got tons of great emulations to mess with. Don't apologize, but be clear.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Why think it wouldn't sound good. We've heard it. No?
It was rhetorical really, that said, I haven't really listened enough to agree or disagree with you. But there's no evidence that it isn't a rompler, hence, I'm putting my bets on it being a rompler, again, that's where my money is, do you want some of that action?
I just want to get a sense of how much of what we've heard are things like a oscillator sync sweep that's naked being run through one of the modeled filters, and how much is a full on sample of the original patch, filter and all, with some extra help from the Syntronik engine.
Sure, that's a good question. Now, take a look at the front panels, do you see a "sync" option anywhere? No, you have a fairly straightforward osc2 mix/detune for every single one of the synths.

So I have another $20 on everything that you're hearing in terms of sync sweep being sampled. If it's not, you are, again, not going to capture the essence of the different sync tone from each of the synths. It's the right way to do this sort of product. You are simply not going to nail all of those different sync characters with a couple of sample based oscillators otherwise.
Also, ignore the ROMpler haters. They've got tons of great emulations to mess with. Don't apologize, but be clear.
Nobody here is a rompler hater, I'm just not interested in analog synth romplers and the point of discussing new products here is to wrap our heads around what they are. I'm just saying that it's not unfair to call it a rompler because that's exactly what it is. There's no point in trying to deny that fact, if you can't put in your own samples and the oscillators are sample based in the classic sense, then, by definition, it's a rompler.

I find it funny that, for some people, if you say the word rompler, it's a dirty word.

I asked a question that nobody's answered.

Does Nexus have a filter?

I ask this because Nexus, for the most part, is considered a rompler. In fact, there are very few people who consider it a synth. And yet, Nexus is vastly popular. In fact, many romplers are vastly popular.

If I didn't have a business to run and only cared about "sound generation software" with potential to design sounds to sell, I'd probably get a lot of romplers because some of them sound flat out amazing. From what I've heard of this product, it sounds pretty damn good, whatever it is.

But ghetto makes a valid point. If there is no hard sync control on the synth itself, then the variety of hard sync sounds that you're going to get is going to be limited to the different hard sync samples that were taken. If you're a synthesist purist, as far as what you can get out of your machine with no limitations, then this architecture is not going to do it for you. If all you care about is sound and being able to cover a number of bases, this product may be right up your alley.

And the irony of all this is, for things that I know there is no way in hell I'm getting what I want from a synth (realistic strings, brass, choir, guitar, etc.) I know I have to turn to either samples or acoustic modeling. And yet, when people do that, it's accepted. But God forbid you release a "synth" that has good filters, FX and a good part of what goes into your common synth but use samples, you're looked at like someone who has the plague.

This product is going to have its market. Trust me on that. The pure sound is good enough that for SOME people it will be just what they're looking for. For those who are looking for a pure synth, simply move on.

But not every thread at KVR has to turn into this stupid argument about whether or not a rompler is a synth.

Who cares?

Buy it or don't buy it.

/rant

ghettosynth wrote:
zerocrossing wrote: Why think it wouldn't sound good. We've heard it. No?
It was rhetorical really, that said, I haven't really listened enough to agree or disagree with you. But there's no evidence that it isn't a rompler, hence, I'm putting my bets on it being a rompler, again, that's where my money is, do you want some of that action?
I just want to get a sense of how much of what we've heard are things like a oscillator sync sweep that's naked being run through one of the modeled filters, and how much is a full on sample of the original patch, filter and all, with some extra help from the Syntronik engine.
Sure, that's a good question. Now, take a look at the front panels, do you see a "sync" option anywhere? No, you have a fairly straightforward osc2 mix/detune for every single one of the synths.

So I have another $20 on everything that you're hearing in terms of sync sweep being sampled. If it's not, you are, again, not going to capture the essence of the different sync tone from each of the synths. It's the right way to do this sort of product. You are simply not going to nail all of those different sync characters with a couple of sample based oscillators otherwise.
Nobody here is a rompler hater, I'm just not interested in analog synth romplers and the point of discussing new products here is to wrap our heads around what they are. I'm just saying that it's not unfair to call it a rompler because that's exactly what it is. There's no point in trying to deny that fact, if you can't put in your own samples and the oscillators are sample based in the classic sense, then, by definition, it's a rompler.
No, I wouldn't your action because I agree. I'm not sure why the denial either, other than ROMplers got a bad reputation from 90s boxes that had little or poor editing abilities. When you actually dig in to one of those boxes, especially the Proteus line, you see that ROMpler is not a sign of lack of capability. I just want to see a little of Syntronik's capabilities.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

This looks interesting, and the crossgrade price combined with JamPoints is a good deal. I have a few questions for Peter, though, before I decide if I should pick this up or not.

1. I see FM and Ring Modulation available as effects; are these (as the web page seems to imply) global for the patch? It would be nice if these two modules were available on a per-voice rather than per-patch basis. They could still be very useful for monophonic patches.

2. When the Syntronik content is loaded into Sampletank, is it only the samples that are being used, or are the new modeled filters also available? Going the other way, can Sampletank content be used in Syntronik? It might be nice to run Sonik Synth 2 or SampleMoog content through the new filters and effects.

3. Continuing with the idea in the second part of question 2, can we use our own samples in Syntronik?

4. Is the filter mode on the SEM filter model continuously variable, like on the original? I also noticed that the other models have 4 modes and 4 slopes available which is a nice addition to the originals. Thanks for expanding them like that.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: 3) If you are having an issue with latency or latency reporting in T-RackS IK Support would be happy to assist you.
Thanks for the reply, I think it sounds great from that soundcloud link!
What I mean was delay compensation.

I dont see people saying romplers are bad, nor i say, romplers can be great and amazing and i believe this rompler will be great or even amazing.

But here is the problem, false, incorrect, misguiding advertising:
Syntronik is a cutting-edge virtual synthesizer that raises the bar in sound quality and flexibility thanks to the most advanced sampling techniques combined with a new hybrid sample and modeling synthesis engine.
When you see those terms "synthesizer" "Flexibility" "hybrid sample and modeling synthesis engine" what are your expectations?

When i see that i see a fully fledged synth with ability to change shape ofc osc that incorporates multisamples in to oscillator, like Alchemy, Omnisphere 2 and more. But in the end you cannot do that, like you cannot do that in Sampletank 3, Nexus 2 or Xpand 2.

You dont advertise a hatchback or coupe car as 4 door sedan right? Same here you dont advertise rompler as a fully fledged synth :-D

Again i will repeat, romplers are not bad, they can be great or even amazing and im sure this rompler will be like that. But advertising is very misguiding :)

It's a ROMpler. It's settled.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:It's a ROMpler. It's settled.
Yep, and was clear right from the start, it's IKM not U-he. Anyway, no problem with Romplers here. Very interested. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
Yep, and was clear right from the start, it's IKM not U-he. Anyway, no problem with Romplers here. Very interested. :hihi:
I just bought it. I'd listened to all the demos about 4 times. The last time with attention paid to filter sweeps. Many were just too long and meandering to be a sample, and they did sound great. So, for not too much money I'll at the very least get the ability to pair different oscillators with different filters. That's worth the price alone. Plus, what ever last of synth control one might have will obviously be made up in the effects section.
Zerocrossing Media

Rompler is definitely better than rompers.

zerocrossing wrote:
murnau wrote:
I just bought it. I'd listened to all the demos about 4 times. The last time with attention paid to filter sweeps. Many were just too long and meandering to be a sample, and they did sound great. So, for not too much money I'll at the very least get the ability to pair different Samplesets with different filters. That's worth the price alone. Plus, what ever last of synth control one might have will obviously be made up in the effects section.
Corrected :D

oscillator
ˈɒsɪleɪtə/Submit
noun
a device for generating oscillatory electric currents or voltages by non-mechanical means
Last edited by Elektronisch on Sat May 27, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

We know that and thats what we have been trying to get answered because response from IKM was so it felt as a denial that its a rompler. And by throwing "oscillator" just made more confusion. Well until Peter later said its not average rompler.

Return to “Instruments”