Syntronik [update March 2018: New T-03 Bonus Content & 4-for-1 bass synth promo] available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

ghettosynth wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:i think some people getting butthurt when hear rompler and say its "still a synth" or "I THINK you can choose the oscillator" its because they have pre-ordered and now thinking "dang ik said its a hybrid synthesizer but its not, well i will pretend it is" :D
Hybrid synthesizer might be a little markety, but, no vendor uses the word rompler to describe a synthesizer, even when that's what it is. UVI largely sells romplers, but they don't call them that.
That would make MPCs romplers too, get over it already.
MPCs are samplers, seriously, this difference is fundamental. Stop telling everyone to get over something that you don't really understand. It's just a label and it's a label that applies here and doesn't apply in other places. It seems that you need to get over the fact that it's a rompler and just because you incorrectly think that makes other non-rompler things romplers, isn't going to change the fact that it's a rompler.
Fundamentally no difference in how they sound, that's the point Einstein.

gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:i think some people getting butthurt when hear rompler and say its "still a synth" or "I THINK you can choose the oscillator" its because they have pre-ordered and now thinking "dang ik said its a hybrid synthesizer but its not, well i will pretend it is" :D
Hybrid synthesizer might be a little markety, but, no vendor uses the word rompler to describe a synthesizer, even when that's what it is. UVI largely sells romplers, but they don't call them that.
MPCs are samplers, seriously, this difference is fundamental. Stop telling everyone to get over something that you don't really understand. It's just a label and it's a label that applies here and doesn't apply in other places. It seems that you need to get over the fact that it's a rompler and just because you incorrectly think that makes other non-rompler things romplers, isn't going to change the fact that it's a rompler.
If Einstein would be alive he wouldnt agree with you.

And there is difference. You dont call a piano a synthesizer. You call it a piano because it has a name that people thought off to describe the instrument. A piano.
Last edited by Elektronisch on Sat May 27, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:Call it whatever you want, it's still a rompler.
It's exactly what I said it was - yes, no quibble a ROMpler, pretty limited abilities at manipulation, but greatly in excess of the likes of Nexus. So - an enhanced ROMpler. Not all ROMplers are created equal.

The distinction isn't trivial. Nexus = presets, end of story. Not true here, even though its not the same as a fully fledged synth or anything like. The architecture of Syntronic - with a couple of oscillators per layer and 4 layers - would mean it would be pretty easy to create unique patches. It might be a nice way to work actually - programming with big building blocks.

Still don't think its for me, mind.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Elektronisch wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
If Einstein would be alive he wouldnt agree with you.
This childish discussion is beneath him, lucky for us we're entertained by the snobbery.

gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
So then you agree that a sampler isn't a rompler?

I have no idea what your goal is here, 12 posts, chillax! You're not making any sense though and whatever effect you're think that you're having it's going to just backfire on you.

It's a rompler, not a sampler, not a DAW, not a modeled synthesizer, that describes its limitations, whether it bothers you or it doesn't.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sat May 27, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
gas pump wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
So then you agree that a sampler isn't a rompler?

I have no idea what your goal is here, 12 posts, you obviously created this account to troll this thread. You're not making any sense though and whatever effect you're think that you're having it's going to just backfire on you.

It's a rompler, not a sampler, not a DAW, not a modeled synthesizer, that describes its limitations, whether it bothers you or it doesn't.
I figured you had half a brain to figure out what was meant, guess not. It's obvious you like to patrol this thread like you're the authority on why romplers are a bad thing. Sorry sir, but your services are no longer required. Go get some rest and sleep it off.

This childish discussion is beneath him, lucky for us we're entertained by the snobbery.
Yep when snobbs dont make any argument and try to get in to a discussion and thinking they are bigger person by saying "get over it".

Elektronisch wrote:
Yep when snobbs dont make any argument and try to get in to a discussion and thinking they are bigger person by saying "get over it".
Get over it already, seriously need a tissue you seem to have a deeper issue.

noiseboyuk wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Call it whatever you want, it's still a rompler.
It's exactly what I said it was - yes, no quibble a ROMpler, pretty limited abilities at manipulation, but greatly in excess of the likes of Nexus. So - an enhanced ROMpler. Not all ROMplers are created equal.
Nexus is hardly a benchmark. By that standard, everything that UVI creates is an "enhanced Rompler", half of the Kontakt player libraries are enhanced romplers and actual modern romplers must be super romplers.

No, they're all just romplers, and adding filters to a basic engine doesn't really make it not a basic engine.

ghettosynth wrote:It's a rompler, not a sampler, not a DAW, not a modeled synthesizer, that describes its limitations, whether it bothers you or it doesn't.
THAT! exactly thats why sometimes name is important, because quote: that describes its limitations. Or strenghts also :)

Elektronisch wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:It's a rompler, not a sampler, not a DAW, not a modeled synthesizer, that describes its limitations, whether it bothers you or it doesn't.
THAT! exactly thats why sometimes name is important, because quote: that describes its limitations. Or strenghts also :)
Yep, it's just descriptive, if you read it as a pejorative then that's in your head.

ghettosynth wrote:Nexus is hardly a benchmark. By that standard, everything that UVI creates is an "enhanced Rompler", half of the Kontakt player libraries are enhanced romplers and actual modern romplers must be super romplers.

No, they're all just romplers, and adding filters to a basic engine doesn't really make it not a basic engine.
Can you create patches from scratch with UVI? Don't think so (if I'm wrong I stand corrected). That's the point with which you don't seem to wish to engage.

Also it's not just filters and envelopes, Syntronik does seem to have one or two more tricks up its sleeve. Again, not arguing that its remotely comparable to full synthesis. It's useful to make these distinctions though, because it's not always clear from the publicity machine how a product can be used or what you can expect of it.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Nexus is hardly a benchmark. By that standard, everything that UVI creates is an "enhanced Rompler", half of the Kontakt player libraries are enhanced romplers and actual modern romplers must be super romplers.

Can you create patches from scratch with UVI? Don't think so (if I'm wrong I stand corrected). That's the point with which you don't seem to wish to engage.
You can with almost every rompler ever created. You certainly can with virtually every synthesizer built into kontakt player. You can with Korg Legacy romplers, you can with AIR Xpand2! That's not a distinction that makes something not a rompler or is really even an enhancement.

I only have one UVI rompler product and, yes, you can create basic patches. It's not a sophisticated synthesizer, but, frankly, it's not that different from the front panel that we're seeing here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a UVI fan, I'm not jumping to their defense. I only have the product because it was cheap and the limited nature of the rompler matched my limited need for those particular sounds.

I think that you're overrating "patches from scratch" because there's just not much you can do with them. As far as I can tell the engine is just not very sophisticated. So, your "from scratch" will be selecting basic rompler sounds and applying a filter with VCF/VCA envelopes and an LFO.
Also it's not just filters and envelopes, Syntronik does seem to have one or two more tricks up its sleeve. Again, not arguing that its remotely comparable to full synthesis. It's useful to make these distinctions though, because it's not always clear from the publicity machine how a product can be used or what you can expect of it.
What are they, because I'm not really seeing anything that's not in other products EXCEPT the modeled filters and the variety of effects. I'm not saying that it's a bad product, I'm just saying that some of you seem to be trying awfully hard to redefine what a rompler is.

Not trying to redefine anything, ghetto. I've said - repeatedly - that it's a rompler. I'm merely saying there are romplers and romplers. May I remind you your specific terminology was a "basic rompler". So there are other kinds, right? What would your example of an enhanced rompler be, if Syntronik isn't it? For me a basic rompler = a preset machine. An enhanced or advanced rompler would give you more creative options, and enable you to design a patch from scratch. Doesn't seem like a totally crazy definition, right?

So I've just opened UVI's DS77 (it's been a while - can you tell?). The only way I can see to start is to load a preset. Once I'm there, I have an ADSR, a HP/BP/LP filter, pitch, drive, butcrusher, effects and modwheel controls for trem or filter. That's it. No sources to start with, unless there's a hidden page I've always missed. So that - and I presume the rest of the UVI synth range - is rather like Nexus. They are basic romplers - preset machines with some (useful) basic tweaks.

Now let's compare with Syntronik's OBXa (just from the picture). Well there it is - an oscillator section, with a choice of waveforms. The 2nd oscillator has detune. You also have a wide choice of modelled filters and a basic mod section. Clearly somewhere there's also the large FX and arp sections. Now, that's a less control than a real OBXa, but with its (cutdown) Osc section that's more than UVI.

That said, what I don't see from the pictures of other syntronik synths is any kind of browser for sources. Maybe it's hidden away, or maybe its embedded in the patches, in which for many of the synths you won't be able to start from scratch. And just to repeat before I have it thrown back at me - I absolutely am not saying that the synthesis options are vast. I agree that you're given limited control, and most of the variation will depend on the samples. But potentially at least, this is more than a basic rompler.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

$64,000 question.

You are presented with the option of buying either The Legend or this. You have a music project to do that needs to cover a massive variety of sounds. You have no other sound generators. These are your only two choices.

Which one do you buy?

The answer for me is obvious.

It's certainly NOT the synth.

There is a HUGE market for whatever you want to call this thing because you're going to get MORE sounds out of it than you're going to get out of The Legend. In fact, for the crossgrade price, you're going to get more sounds out of this thing than MOST synths in its price range.

As I said, if you're a purist and need to be able to morph a square wave into a pulse wave in the most minute detail, this thing isn't going to be for you. But if you're a musician and need to get as many sounds as you can out of a machine, this may very well be the one thing you're looking for.

No, I have no need for it. But there will be plenty of people who do.

Return to “Instruments”