New Build - Transfer/Re-installation VST, DAWs, etc.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I just finished a new build for my studio and opted for a fresh Win 7 Pro install on a dedicated 500 GB SSD. I pulled my old drives and installed them in the new build, they consist of a 2TB 7200 HDD for storage and a 1TB SSD. The 2TB 7200 HDD is just for storage and does not contain any applications or files that I need to transfer, but it does have about 1.2TB of free space that I can utilize for temp storage while shuffling data around. The 1TB SSD is the drive this post concerns, it contains ALL of my DAWs, VSTs, project files, useful applications, etc.

My problem is....the SSD that contains all of my VSTs, DAWs, project files, a slew of software I want and need, etc. was also my old OS install drive. So all of that old OS data, as well as all the crap a system acquires over the years....junk files, old data files, stuff I no longer use/outdated installs, etc. needs to be cleaned off. This is the drive I need to use for my DAW, VSTs, applications, etc. but only after it's been cleaned up / reformatted.

So I have been mulling over what route to take that accomplishes the task with the least amount of work and/or errors on my part.

Option #1:
Manually going through and deleting things I don't need (OS, old software I don't need, etc.) but holy moly that makes my head swim (the drive is 3/4 full) and I seriously doubt I would get everything I need and would probably miss at least some of the crap I don't want and would still wind up with a bloated drive.

Option #2:
Reformatting and re-installing EVERYTHING one by one. I don't really want to do this because I'm afraid I'll forget something or run into problems when trying to re-install and end up losing a project/track because some vital element won't re-install or won't work with an old project for some unforeseen reason. But I'm also afraid this is the inevitable solution.

Option #3:
Use a utility, like PCMover or something similar to do the heavy lifting. Something that will allow me to move the applications, project files, etc. and only the things I WANT off of the SSD they are installed on in a complete and intact fashion, which would then allow me to format the drive and then return all of the software, project files, etc. back onto the SSD they were originally installed on. That way the drive will be completely clean and free of all the crap that I was trying to get rid of, buuuut..... I am a little concerned the software won't work after moving it and I'll end up needing to re-install everything by hand anyway.

What is the best way to go about this?

I am fully aware that I may end up needing to re-install quite a few applications regardless, because it's a new system. That fact makes me lean towards doing it the old fashioned way, re-format and re-install one by one from the start. But, if anyone has any experience with this and has at least something I should keep in mind while doing it, I would greatly appreciate hearing it because I am super indecisive about how I want to do this.

Thanks everyone!
N99

I would backup the 1TB ssd on the 2TB hard drive, just in case or as a notepad, and the re-format the ssd and do a fresh install. You have a 3 days weekend coming :)

:) Actually a 4 day...I took off today! lol And holy crap do I have a lot of stuff so it's going to take that long, I'm sure.
Thanks Greg, appreciate the response. And unfortunately, that's what I was thinking too! :)

Suggestions for a backup method? Typically, I copy everything to my external (4TB USB 3.0) but that doesn't include apps, just project files, etc.

Should I just copy all directories, sub-directories and files over to the other drive or use a backup utility? Or does it not matter? I never backup with an actual utility so I'm not too versed here. lol

Windows 7 has a built in backup utility. Saved me one time when migrating an SSD. The clone didn't work, but restoring from a backup onto the new drive did.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Yeah I looked at that but when I got into it, I found myself deselecting so much stuff that I stopped and thought I might just do it manually myself.

So my plan and what I'm currently doing is that I re-authorized my DAW on the new system and pointed the software to my VST folder just to see what will authorize easily with minimal relocating of data files, etc. and what absolutely will not. This will give me an idea of what I can just copy back over and what will need to be reinstalled regardless of the method chosen. As expected, soo many of them are failing, kicking errors and of course crashing. But I am finding quite a few that are working fine without doing much at all.

From this little (more like huge) task, I'm making a list of what I can just copy back over and what I will need to reinstall and it's helping me realize how much crap I have acquired over the years that I absolutely don't need and have only been hanging on to for sentimental/hoarding reasons.

So yeah, the long way seems to be the only way. The job is so damn big I was trying to avoid it but honestly, having a clean system is important to me so I'm finding that it's not actually as bad as I had built it up to be.

I'll post back here with anything I learn from this just in case someone comes along and is looking for this kind of information.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the fast responses.

You built new computer, you may consider doing things right this time. What you already did wrong is installing Windows 7. Why? When the world moves forward, you going to be stuck in the past. Win 7 can not even be installed on newer processors any longer. I don't understand why would somebody ignore humongous update in stability and functionality and insist on using outdated technology. When software companies release new updates for your software synths, do you install them? Most of us install updates soon as they become available. Why install old not supported Windows on a new computer if newer and better version is released like 3 years ago? It truly is much much much better. Huge difference.

Now that you dislike me, you probably not going to listen anything I post, but if you do, my recommendation is to download all installation files on your Storage drive. Then format 1TB drive, then... reinstall Windows 10 (optional but strongly recommended), then install Antivirus, then clean install your DAW, and then install all your software synths and samplers on your 1TB drive. Also buy another new drive for recording. Western Digital Black or Seagate would work. Everything will register fine if you have your serial numbers and your username and passwords available. Download all fresh new installers with latest updates to everything you can.

just get Macrium free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree Use it to copy your SSD then reformat and install your OS. reapp and copy what you want.
A minor scale is a major scale starting 3 half steps down from the major and visa versa. Any Chord has as many versions as it has notes.

It might be too late, but frankly I think all the way clean-install is the best method. It's a PITA but most people have two computers where you can use the older one while dialing in the new one.

This is of course assuming you've backed up all the songs, presets, etc first.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”