Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice!

Where does one get instruments plecked after market?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Where does one get instruments plecked after market?
There are a few places that do it. One that I've seen spoken highly of online a few different times is Weber Custom Guitars in Ohio.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

tapper mike wrote:Where does one get instruments plecked after market?
In the UK Charlie Chandler does it

I always wanted one of these:

But they were WAY too expensive and then they stopped making them in favor of that lame 24 fret version. Now they are through the stratosphere financially, lucky I don't want one of those (they are 1000 usd more than when they came out)

The used ones are 1000-ish, I don't want one THAT badly, but was just thinking, Joe played better when he had these imho.

edit, had to change the pic.
Last edited by incubus on Tue May 23, 2017 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

that's nice. it's a bit of a rarity to see a 'metal' body shape like that on an ibby, with 22 frets, yes?

anyway, my first of the new xiangqi guitars arrived:

solid paulownia, fixed bridge. action is high, and the neck fairly unfinished. it's like an old kay. you really know you're working to get this to play. ymmv

can't wait to plug it into an amp and see if it has a 'paulownia sound'...

Xiangqi wrote:that's nice. it's a bit of a rarity to see a 'metal' body shape like that on an ibby, with 22 frets, yes?

solid paulownia, fixed bridge. action is high, and the neck fairly unfinished. it's like an old kay. you really know you're working to get this to play. ymmv

The pic wasn't proper. Yeah, 24 is the norm, but not for the joe.

I like that color of yours :)

Forgot to say, one of the things I like about the older Joe model is that it's 42mm at the nut instead of 43mm. One thing some of us have started to dislike about ibby is the 43/58 neck profile. It's kinda wide for my taste.

Xiangqi wrote:that's nice. it's a bit of a rarity to see a 'metal' body shape like that on an ibby, with 22 frets, yes?

I've had very playable Kay's and not the most playable Kays. I had this SG style Kay from the late 70's early 80's that played like butter with an off beige / pink satin finish. I won't begin to describe my lesser Kay's

A buddy of mine collected all those "weird" Kays from the 50's,60's and 70's. He was a guitar tech. Sold em all off and made a nice profit on it.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

well, it's just that i thought ibanez wizard necks practically played themselves, and then i picked up an old 'kay' along the way, and it was 'difficult' but fun. This guitar kind of reminds me of that.

btw, at one point back in the day, i took the 'kay' to guitar center and the 'yngwie snob salesman dude' tried playing it and was flummoxed. it was kind of funny. maybe you had to have been there.

anyway, these new Xiangqis are turning out to be the bees knees, imo....

maybe 'flummoxed' isn't quite the right word, but after struggling with it for 10 minutes or so, the guy pretty much said it was a 'bad guitar'... lol

Xiangqi wrote:well, it's just that i thought ibanez wizard necks practically played themselves, and then i picked up an old 'kay' along the way, and it was 'difficult' but fun. This guitar kind of reminds me of that.

btw, at one point back in the day, i took the 'kay' to guitar center and the 'yngwie snob salesman dude' tried playing it and was flummoxed. it was kind of funny. maybe you had to have been there.

anyway, these new Xiangqis are turning out to be the bees knees, imo....
Yeah, I dunno about "bad guitar" myself. I mean, struggling is one thing.

The "wizard" necks do have a certain playability but Vai are Satch like things a bit different. What I hate about the 17-19mm necks is that they can feel a little like a rubber-band. Just having the 18-20mm on mine is enough to nip that in the butt. (or is that bud? I dunno)

So, did I bring this up?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... aQodbzIBnw

It's amazing! Yeah, you can kinda make your own but it's messy and black (because of the pencil lead)

But this is better. A nice applicator, and it works. Better than you'd think. I just changed the strings on my Carvin and it was ok, but I apply this and it's like instant non-stick and better bends/chords/etc because nothing is binding.

Check it out if you haven't, I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed.

yep, i need to get some of that...

So yeah... Beefy guitar necks with high action.. Seriously every play a washburn jazz box? Horrendous,

Back in the 70's kids would have these high action acoustics that could make a grown man cry. I remember because out of every 10 would be players only two or three stuck around. "I know it's not that good but neither am I, I need a guitar like this to develop my muscles first. Once I get better I'll buy a nicer one". Most never lasted more than 6 months before they gave up.

Jack White says "pick a fight with it" ....... works for him.

I on the other hand, need something reasonably playable. I've gotten to where even with my child-like hands I like higher action, but I don't want to bleed when playing it either :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”